First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Hey all,

as promised here is some of the JL info that I do know, i am getting additional info on your other questions.

- Will the new top likely take less time to take down than the JKU soft top
Yes! I have had the chance to operate a prototype of the JL soft top and it was a lot faster and easier to operate. I have seen internal video of the final product being operated and i think you all will be very happy with the final product!

-How long until we see the Trektop NX for the JLU?
Due to our contract with Mopar, we are not allowed to release anything until 6 months after the debut of the new model. I beelive that puts us into May...

- What do you know about the “power top?”
We are not manufacturing this top so I know very little about it, sorry.

-Are all new soft tops premium? Or will there be a standard soft top as well?
As far as OEM tops they will be standard. Aftermarket we will offer the two fabric options.

-Bestop Team ! Will you be offering Soft tops in colors for Base as well ? I see colors for the Twill, at a considerable upcharge, I'm hoping you wont forget us "Entry Level" people, that goes for JK aftermarket, as well as JL production.
I believe we are looking at the option, however it is an entirely different process for color so I am unsure of the route we will take. For now, just Twill.

Hope this helps! *CassieBestop
Thanks, Cassie!
Sponsored

Bestop

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
The Bestop Team
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU
Hey all, Me again :) As promised I am back with more answers from our engineers. I am out at the LA Auto show for the debut of the JL, i will post pictures when i return! *CassieAtBestop
  • What we've seen so far is the soft top JL rear quarter window seems to align properly with the front door window but with the JLU soft top the rear quarter window seems not to line up with the rear door window. It appears too low. Is this by design or just early production samples?
    • Early production samples, appearance of vehicle must be approved by FCA Studio prior to production.
  • There appears to be significant sagging of the soft top above the rear window in nearly all of the uncovered pre-production JLUs I've seen. Is this going to be present in production vehicles?
    • Images on web are of pre-production vehicles, sagging appearance is due to the effects of heavy camouflage snugged around rear portion of the vehicle to disguise the profile of vehicle. After removing camouflage the tops were deformed but still remained on for long term durability testing. Production units will not have this appearance.
  • Will the soft tops have a tailgate bar? Is access to the cargo area quick and easy without removing/replacing bar?
    • This Soft top will have tailgate bar, similar operation to JK minus the zippers
  • Could you please let us know how easily the windows are removed and replaced- Quarter Windows are zipperless and much easier to install and tension.
    • Rear stiffener provides solid surface to wrap around corner. Much attention has been paid to easy install and removal of quarter windows.
  • I’d also like to know how quiet the ride is and how much wind buffeting there is with soft top up and down vs. JK.
    • FCA has tested several vehicles on-road and in wind tunnel, positive feedback provided in regards to noise. No quantitative data provided in terms of a comparison, just positive feedback on how quiet the overall vehicle is.
  • How does the rear window work without zippers?
    • Rear window has vertical retainer strips much like the bottom of the quarter windows. Vertical retainers fit into a vertical slot on quarter window stiffeners.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks again, Cassie! This is VERY helpful. Please keep it coming, if you have more info!

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
Hey all, Me again :) As promised I am back with more answers from our engineers. I am out at the LA Auto show for the debut of the JL, i will post pictures when i return! *CassieAtBestop
  • What we've seen so far is the soft top JL rear quarter window seems to align properly with the front door window but with the JLU soft top the rear quarter window seems not to line up with the rear door window. It appears too low. Is this by design or just early production samples?
    • Early production samples, appearance of vehicle must be approved by FCA Studio prior to production.
  • There appears to be significant sagging of the soft top above the rear window in nearly all of the uncovered pre-production JLUs I've seen. Is this going to be present in production vehicles?
    • Images on web are of pre-production vehicles, sagging appearance is due to the effects of heavy camouflage snugged around rear portion of the vehicle to disguise the profile of vehicle. After removing camouflage the tops were deformed but still remained on for long term durability testing. Production units will not have this appearance.
  • Will the soft tops have a tailgate bar? Is access to the cargo area quick and easy without removing/replacing bar?
    • This Soft top will have tailgate bar, similar operation to JK minus the zippers
  • Could you please let us know how easily the windows are removed and replaced- Quarter Windows are zipperless and much easier to install and tension.
    • Rear stiffener provides solid surface to wrap around corner. Much attention has been paid to easy install and removal of quarter windows.
  • I’d also like to know how quiet the ride is and how much wind buffeting there is with soft top up and down vs. JK.
    • FCA has tested several vehicles on-road and in wind tunnel, positive feedback provided in regards to noise. No quantitative data provided in terms of a comparison, just positive feedback on how quiet the overall vehicle is.
  • How does the rear window work without zippers?
    • Rear window has vertical retainer strips much like the bottom of the quarter windows. Vertical retainers fit into a vertical slot on quarter window stiffeners.
If FCA doesn't launch a multi-sunroof-panel soft top, y'all should ! In khaki ripstop !

Sponsored

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
That I have $5k for a terrible roof?

Jeep has a better power top that will be on JLs next year or so. Not that monstrosity.
Mytop actually advertises their soft top to be more insulated than the hardtop and oem softtop. Both sound and temperature wise.

Aaron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 C7 Corvette Stingray
Thank you Cassie for the detailed information! I've noticed that there is not a single photo from the reveal, or the hundreds of recent photos from road and track, motor trend, or car and driver that show a clear side view of the JLU with soft top rear quarter panels installed. I'm hoping this means Jeep has noticed the misalignment of the windows and doesn't want people to see an error that will ultimately be fixed. Cassie, if you can confirm this will be fixed, I'd be grateful if you could share it here. It's the only remaining issue that would prevent me from loving this new top!

Sponsored

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
This actually isn’t bad at all. Unbuckle, and keep a broomstick nearby to push the top all the way back from the driver's seat :bandit:. Can also keep a fishing line attached to the top and sport bar then you can just pull and close the top without getting out! :cwl:

Last edited:

kurt13

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red JLU Rubi/4Runner
This actually isn’t bad at all. Unbuckle, and keep a broomstick nearby to push the top all the way back from the drivers seat. Can also keep a fishing line attached to the top and sport bar then you can just pull and close the top without getting out!
Now that sounds like a sensible Jeep method of doing things. (Although I'm still not sure why the top is even on the vehicle at all in this scenario.)

Matt The Hammer

First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
It sounds like there is a slide system in the roll cage rail. Obviously great for speed. Wondering how it will hold up with the elements and if will rattle down the line.

Bestop

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
The Bestop Team
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU
Hey all,

Take a look at this walk around video of the JL from TFL. If you skip to 10:00 you will see how easily the soft top operates.

*CassieAtBestop

BDJeep1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon on order
Hey all,

Take a look at this walk around video of the JL from TFL. If you skip to 10:00 you will see how easily the soft top operates.

*CassieAtBestop
It was great to hear Mark Allen's design perspective and all the thought that went into the JL. I think they hit a grand slam with the new jeep. Everyone might have a few personal nits but with all the gov't regulations, etc. we could have ended up with watered down vehicle.

A couple of things in the video which I suggest everyone watch:

- The soft top design is greatly improved but I would like to see them demo the side/back windows also.
- He said the dash color is a choice in the Rubicon, that you don't have to get red if you don't want it.

Lot's of good nuggets in the video.
Sponsored