Sponsored

Worth waiting for 2019 MY?

MojitoJLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Mojito
They're selling every single one they can build, I highly doubt there will be any discounts.

I don't know that it's worth waiting for adaptive cruise control as so far that's all I see different. If they announce some colors that would actually be available, that might be different, but I got tired of waiting for the power soft top so bought one off the lot in May.
There definitely will be other changes (for example, see my post above yours)
Sponsored

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
Not relevant since everyones scenario will be different depending on term / downpayment / amount financed and so on. Also bonus drive is a rebate that wouldn't be calculated into initial transaction.

However if you wish disregard all that and use my situation as example the payments would be $596 - $623 - $648 respectively with $623/mo being my actual payment.

Also I just remembered that we lost Engine Block Heater with Cold weather Package so another -$100 there.

Also I had a payment on my truck so I never had a payment free month going from one vehicle to the next.
The overall point is that over a long enough time span, either not making payments or paying down equity on your trade in will eventually come out ahead. Triple price increases wonā€™t go on forever. Buying just after a price increase is worse than waiting a few months after the last price increase.

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
Just an FYI for anyone considering waiting, from people I've talked to, the 2019 Rubicon will have the optional Selec-Trac transfer case. This was the one option that almost had me pick the Sahara over the Rubicon due to living in Michigan and needing AWD more often.
Source info? Not calling you out, but would love to see some kind of AWD option for the Rubi, and would love to see verification before getting my hopes up.

MojitoJLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Mojito
Source info? Not calling you out, but would love to see some kind of AWD option for the Rubi, and would love to see verification before getting my hopes up.
I work for the company that makes the transfer case lol
Also, verification....look at Europe...it's already standard on their Rubis (going into production now).

It's also possible that the new Rubi Tcase will be able to directly replace the 2018 Tcase and have Selec-Trac....however, without having any connections, that will probably be pretty expensive. It should only need a flash update.

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
Just an FYI for anyone considering waiting, from people I've talked to, the 2019 Rubicon will have the optional Selec-Trac transfer case. This was the one option that almost had me pick the Sahara over the Rubicon due to living in Michigan and needing AWD more often.
This. Would. Be. Awesome.

My first order was a Sahara for that exact reason. Then, decided we'd just live without it (wife drives the vehicle with kids sometimes, in Ohio) and switched to a Rubi. If we could get Selec-Trac on the Rubi, that would be awesome.

Sponsored

costelj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 LR4
Yeah, that would be a great change with the ā€˜19s. I donā€™t really need the off-road prowess of the Rubicon; the Sahara fits me fine. But I prefer the look of the Rubi and this addition would seal my choice.

MojitoJLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Mojito
Yeah, that would be a great change with the ā€˜19s. I donā€™t really need the off-road prowess of the Rubicon; the Sahara fits me fine. But I prefer the look of the Rubi and this addition would seal my choice.
Not gonna lie...I only went with the rubi because of the look, it looks so much tougher than the sahara. However, it was quite a bummer to not have the AWD, almost stuck with the sahara just for that.

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
I work for the company that makes the transfer case lol
Also, verification....look at Europe...it's already standard on their Rubis (going into production now).

It's also possible that the new Rubi Tcase will be able to directly replace the 2018 Tcase and have Selec-Trac....however, without having any connections, that will probably be pretty expensive. It should only need a flash update.
Doesn't the Select Trac transfer case depend on limited slip differentials to achieve the AWD capability? Would the Rubi have both limited slip and lockers with the Select Trac transfer case?

MojitoJLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Mojito
Doesn't the Select Trac transfer case depend on limited slip differentials to achieve the AWD capability? Would the Rubi have both limited slip and lockers with the Select Trac transfer case?
I'm not an engineer, but I think it's really just the ecu telling the t case where to apply power to...

MojitoJLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Mojito
An easy way to verify is seeing if they have lockers in Europe... But I think they do

Sponsored

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
An easy way to verify is seeing if they have lockers in Europe... But I think they do
I just searched and can't find anything on it. It seems rare to see both lockers and limited slip on the same diff for some reason.

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
I'm not an engineer, but I think it's really just the ecu telling the t case where to apply power to...
The T case would just be able to send power to either axle. From there it's up to the diffs to send power to either wheel.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I plan to wait for a 2019.

Why not wait for a few extra months, at this point? I guess if there are no new features you want, and you're happy with the deal you can get now, go for it.

I am excited about Advanced Safety Group, so a 2019er makes sense for me. Who knows what other new features will be available.

As a leaser, I'm also hoping residuals climb back up for 2019s when they are brand new vs. where 2018s are now that they're more than half way through a model year.

I have two 2018 VINs I'm tracking as custom orders, but already talked with my dealer and he understands why a 2018 no longer makes sense for me, and is fine with waiting until 2019.
It definitely makes sense to wait for a 2019 if you are leasing for the residuals. There might still be price increases but at this point the 2019 is a whole year newer. The increased residual of a one year newer model should make up for it. I am buying and waiting for a 2019 for other reasons. I have other cars to drive so I am willing to wait a few months for 2019 model year at this point My biggest concern is FCA quality control. I am hoping FCA corrects some serious quality control issues with steering, frames, welds, electrical, engines, etc. Hopefully these problems are just early production QC issues and not design issues. I am hoping they are corrected by the time the 2019s are produced.

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
It definitely makes sense to wait for a 2019 if you are leasing for the residuals. There might still be price increases but at this point the 2019 is a whole year newer. The increased residual of a one year newer model should make up for it. I am buying and waiting for a 2019 for other reasons. I have other cars to drive so I am willing to wait a few months for 2019 model year at this point My biggest concern is FCA quality control. I am hoping FCA corrects some serious quality control issues with steering, frames, welds, electrical, engines, etc. Hopefully these problems are just early production QC issues and not design issues. I am hoping they are corrected by the time the 2019s are produced.
Yeah, so I crumbled.

When the Sahara order came in, I had the willpower to hold off.

Then the Rubi came.

I drove it home. Lol.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Yeah, so I crumbled.

When the Sahara order came in, I had the willpower to hold off.

Then the Rubi came.

I drove it home. Lol.
Totally understand. lol. Enjoy it!
Sponsored