LA Auto Show: HELLA YELLA JLU Wrangler Rubicon Photos

JJJ

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992 Sahara YJ in Sage Green
Are these the standard wheels on the hella yella? Are my eyes deceiving me or are they black? I really want these wheels and already ordered and hoping these are the standard wheels but I feel like the ones on the brochure are more silver in color
Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Are these the standard wheels on the hella yella? Are my eyes deceiving me or are they black? I really want these wheels and already ordered and hoping these are the standard wheels but I feel like the ones on the brochure are more silver in color
They appear to be the second option. The rims on the Red Rubi JL in the reveal appear to be the standard.

F5F9C85B-3E8B-4F99-A422-A89AE56AD7C2.jpeg

Phenomenon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata
They look black in some pictures due to the lighting, but I think they are actually silver as can be seen in other pictures. It's too bad, they would look so good in black. They still look better than the wheels we saw on the red Rubicon at the reveal.

Sponsored

drshaws

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys 6MT, 2015 Ody
Am I the only one that was super excited about a real pic of the JLU rear cargo storage area! Something other than rope can finally fit into there. So glad the JLU sub got put on the side (not sure I'd even get the upgraded audio, but still, way better than in the floor).

OP
OP
JAY

JAY

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Ok I'll take this in a 2 door! Please don't make me wait another year for it!!
You won't have to. 2-door ordering will open in February. :like:

OP
OP
JAY

JAY

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

They look black in some pictures due to the lighting, but I think they are actually silver as can be seen in other pictures. It's too bad, they would look so good in black. They still look better than the wheels we saw on the red Rubicon at the reveal.
The wheels on the Hella Yella Rubicon are black. They're a satin black so when the bright show lights hit them they sometimes appear to be a gunmetal color. But they're definitely black.

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
so which option are they becasue both options read the same. Thye are sweet!!

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
Also looks like the rear axle retains the same Ring Gear size in the new Design as 226mm is 8.9in and the current D44 size. So slightly bigger than the aforementioned 220mm and also negates about 5 pages of discussion about the issue.... Hmmm..... :movember:

Still annoyed that they are putting the Dana 44 name on a 12-bolt axle instead of calling it something new like the Dana 48.

Note the 226 number stamped in the middle of the cover... above the Rev 0.

E59E9E23-4D94-497F-95AF-55BEB2B96E4E.jpeg
Can you tell if this is the cast diff cover that was on the JK Recon or did they just put the stamped one on this?

Sponsored

DrPerez007

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See Signature
Occupation
Public Safety & Legal Consultant
Wheels are black! And they are sharp! One of the best looking wheels IMHO among all of the JLs there. I commented on another thread, but the Jeep rep at the show (take this with a grain of salt; she was sketchy on a number of details) told me somewhat disappointing things:
1. Only the JL Rubicon weighs less than its predecessor; all other JL rigs, despite the extensive use of aluminum, weigh more than their JK predecessors (don't know how this breaks down between the JL and the JLU).

IMG_5433.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

DrPerez007

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See Signature
Occupation
Public Safety & Legal Consultant
Wheels are black! And they are sharp! One of the best looking wheels IMHO among all of the JLs there. I commented on another thread, but the Jeep rep at the show (take this with a grain of salt; she was sketchy on a number of details) told me somewhat things:
1. Only the JL Rubicon weighs less than its predecessor; all other JL rigs, despite the extensive use of aluminum, weigh more than their JK predecessors (don't know how this breaks down between the JL and the JLU).

IMG_5433.JPG
A clarification from Automotive magazine on the weight issue, so it appears that even the Rubi gains weight:

"Jeep also says that it's improved the new 2018 Wrangler's weight by using aluminum on the hood and doors, and magnesium alloy on the tailgate. These weight losses, however, seem to be offset by other changes as the curb weight for the new-generation JL is a few hundred pounds heavier than the equivalent model in the outgoing JK. The 2017 Wrangler Sport weighs in at about 3,760 pounds (1,403 kg) whereas the new 2018 Wrangler Sport in its base configuration weighs about 3,955 pounds (1,794 kg). It's the Rubicon model that seems to benefit the most from these weight-saving measures, having just a handful of pounds added (4,145 current versus 4,129 outgoing)."

OP
OP
JAY

JAY

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

A few more:

A33A8421.jpg

A33A8424.jpg

A33A8425.jpg

A33A8427.jpg

A33A8428.jpg

A33A8430.jpg

A33A8431.jpg

A33A8432.jpg

A33A8439.jpg

A33A8442.jpg

A33A8443.jpg

A33A8444.jpg

A33A8445.jpg

opsfox21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon, 2023 WL Overland
Somebody please go and take those soft top bows out of the track and rest them down horizontally on the body where they belong! :)
Sponsored