NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, the turbo 4 is one of things I most excited about but it looks like it is causing a big delay as the first group of motos had a problem and now FCA is scrambling for a fix and restart to the production of the turbo Wranglers
Yeah, there is concern that a problem with that engine option being responsible for the fire that destroyed a few JLs waiting to be shipped. I believe that there have been two fires so far. Whether it is the engine itself or that battery with the electric motor gimmick or just the software that controls it, we don't know and it is unlikely that FCA will ever make it public what the real problem was if they do fix it.

From a fuel economy standard, I just don't see it making sense though. From what I've heard, you're only getting 2 mpg better fuel economy with the new engine, so let's say 8-10% better gas mileage. Best price for 91+ octane fuel locally is $2.88 per gallon and the best price for 87 octane is $2.43. So, for fuel that is 18.5% more expensive, I would only get 8-10% better fuel economy. Nawh, doesn't make sense to me. And when you combine that with having to pay more for that engine, it makes even less sense.

Configuring a JL Sport like I want it ends up with an MSRP of $31,925. If I did the same configuration on it with the new engine, I would end up at $34,925. So, $3K extra due to being forced to pay for an automatic transmission that I most definitely don't want plus the additional cost of the new engine.

Let's assume that you get 20 mpg with the normal engine and 22 mpg with the new engine -- a 10% increase in fuel economy. Let's also assume the fuel prices that I listed above and 15,000 miles each year of driving.

With the normal engine, you are using 750 gallons per year for a cost of $1822.50.
With the new engine, you are using 681.81 gallons per year for a cost of $1963.67.
But, let's assume that you could run the new engine on 87 octane and it still got the same fuel economy.
That would means that you would still be using 681.81 gallons, but the cost was $1656.82, a saving of $165.68 per year.
So, after a bit over 6 years (around 90,535 miles), you would have finally broken even.

I seriously doubt that it will get the same fuel economy with 87 octane that it gets with 91+ octane since if it did, the manufacturer would most likely specify it as a 87 octane engine.

This isn't likely to change the mine of any of the electric fan-boys out there, but it might just give those who are doing research before deciding upon an engine a bit more information so that they don't automatically assume that they will save money with this new engine. If you want to save money, get yourself a manual transmission and do some research on the "hypermiling" techniques that are used by those folks. Some of those guys get a bit too aggressive at it in my opinion, but putting a car in neutral and turning off the engine can still be relatively safe in certain situations when you have a long downhill run with minimal curves in the road.
Sponsored

terebi

First Name
Vicky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Red Rock Pearl JKUR; 2018 Firecracker Red JLUR
This is normal. May take a few days or even a week or so before your delivery status is posted. Usually once it's load on the rail, you'll see that estimated delivery time
Thanks!

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport Mojito!, 3.6L & '18 Ninja 400 KRT
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
@TaiMc , any update your mojito JLU. I’ve been waiting to hear you got the call.
Well, I know it's been unloaded from the railcar! My Dealer texted me today and said that it should be getting on a truck and being shipped soon. The tracking for it on Jeepgarage just says the following: Railcar Unloaded 07/10/18 01:16:00 PM PEARLAND, TX VDC :movember:

I have a feeling I'll get a text or call tomorrow. I'll let yall know! :dance:

Sponsored

wbee

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU, 2018 JLUR
[QUOTE="TaiMc, post: 285590,

I am hoping I get a call tomorrow, I leave town Sunday and was hoping to pick it up before I leave. My new tires came in this week and I am getting them put on the rims Friday. All I need is the Jeep.

neil99

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Chevy Colorado, 2009 Honda Odyssey, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
I ordered from Neil as well. A couple days ago Jeep chat told me the Wrangler was in Pearland. Neil said that wasn't the case, but we should get it next week. This morning Jeep chat said that they didn't have any information about where it is at. If it comes in anytime in the next couple weeks we will be impressed. We ordered on 6/12.

wbee

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU, 2018 JLUR
I ordered from Neil as well. A couple days ago Jeep chat told me the Wrangler was in Pearland. Neil said that wasn't the case, but we should get it next week. This morning Jeep chat said that they didn't have any information about where it is at. If it comes in anytime in the next couple weeks we will be impressed. We ordered on 6/12.
I think our Jeeps are in Pearland with TaiMc Jeep just waiting on transportation. Hopefully next week is the week.

terebi

First Name
Vicky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Red Rock Pearl JKUR; 2018 Firecracker Red JLUR
Receiving conflicting information as to where my JLUR is. In the span of an hour, I received the following information: Jeep Chat informed me it's awaiting shipment in Toledo. Dealership says ETA is unknown. JeepGarage says it was delivered to the dealership. Whomp whomp...

Sponsored

HardRock

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon JK Hard Rock Edition (FL); 2018 Rubicon JL (CA)
For all of us waiting for that CA bound train, based upon a recent railcar unloading I finally found where in Southern California they bring them in - Mira Loma - Between the 60 and 15 - makes sense.

https://goo.gl/maps/Aaq8momNrkM2

Wow, lot's of cars there, no wonder it takes a few days after unloading to get them onto trucks.
Too funny, that's where my JL ended up - found a shipping tag in mine that said Mira Loma, CA. That place looks enormous. It took over two weeks from arriving there to make its way to LA.

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I think our Jeeps are in Pearland with TaiMc Jeep just waiting on transportation. Hopefully next week is the week.
@wbee @angrylizards @BlairF @ZombieNipples @neil99

Naww...this week is the week, as in TODAY (Friday, 13th). Here's the latest on my tracking information:

Truck Pick-Up / Yard Exit 07/12/18 08:48:00 PM PEARLAND, TX (on truck to dealer)
thumbsup.gif

Dealer Delivered 07/12/18 09:19:00 PM

Apparently mine and @BlairF were delivered to River Oaks yesterday at 9pm. So yall should definitely contact your dealers and ask if your Jeep has arrived, but if you had a previous notification that your Jeep was in Pearland VDC, then your Jeep was with mine; and it's probable that your Jeeps were delivered to the dealer as well! Booiii hope to see some nice Mojitoooo pics laterrrr today!

I'm gonna upload my tracking/transit schedule post! *HUGSSS*! :rock: :giggle:

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Just got the call from Neil! I probably won’t be able to make the trip to Conroe until Friday but they finally arrived!
Yup! I just checked my status:

Truck Pick-Up / Yard Exit 07/12/18 08:48:00 PM PEARLAND, TX (on truck to dealer)
thumbsup.gif

Dealer Delivered 07/12/18 09:19:00 PM

*H-Town Fam* Make sure yall call your dealersssss!

BlairF

First Name
Blair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS-S Mojito! - 2014 Challenger RT Classic (SuperCharged) - 2016 Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Technology Incident Management
Vehicle Showcase
Sooo. Who has Rubicon take offs for me? lol

Leights7

First Name
Leighton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
In Canada here, so I unfortunately can only track through my dealer. He said it was put on a train on Monday and comes to the rail yard right here in Calgary, Alberta. Any ideas on how much longer? Thanks!
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.