Sponsored

Anyone going to install Mopar Performance Rock Rails on their Rubicon?

JeepPunk

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Trans Am, 16 Colorado, 17 Camaro SS 1le, 18 punk’n Rubi
92694CB3-AA8C-48F1-A651-F04005E1E83A.jpeg
C942010D-851D-40FB-BFD1-7E3B51B65FF7.jpeg
DE667B79-D46B-418B-8CDD-CCE569FCD5C7.jpeg
DD996DD1-7849-48C8-89A6-7C41FDA7CBA0.jpeg
I decided to go with these due to this thread. Looking for protection from flying rocks but don’t like the way steps look. Very pleased with how they look and how they are made.
Sponsored

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
92694CB3-AA8C-48F1-A651-F04005E1E83A.jpeg
C942010D-851D-40FB-BFD1-7E3B51B65FF7.jpeg
DE667B79-D46B-418B-8CDD-CCE569FCD5C7.jpeg
DD996DD1-7849-48C8-89A6-7C41FDA7CBA0.jpeg
I decided to go with these due to this thread. Looking for protection from flying rocks but don’t like the way steps look. Very pleased with how they look and how they are made.
I have on mine as well and love them. You'll still get some mud hitting the doors, but once you hear all the debris pinging off those rails you'll appreciate them 100x more lol.

Vermillion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I installed mine a couple weeks ago on the JLU before heading out to SMORR. Having a step rail was a kind of a necessity with a short wife and two small kids. I also wanted to keep the rear fender hits from kicking up rocks down to a minimum. It worked great and I'm really happy with them.

I did the install by myself (consider myself a novice). Took about 1-1.5 hours total, which includes removing the old JLU Rubicon rails (which I now need to sell). The instructions were clear and there are minimum number of parts (each rail had 6 pinch seem bolts and 3 body bolts). Everything just slid into place and you tightened the screws. I'm not sure it could have been any easier.

20180602_172317.jpg

Last edited:

millerjl

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Got my new rubi yesterday. Told the dealer, needed side steps, they recommended these. Got them for dealer cost minus trading back the stock rubi rails and free labor. Wow, am I happy with them. The can definitely be used as a step and the textured powder coat looks great.

gungadin

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Hi guys. I am seriously considering these rails mainly as protection from rocks on my painted rear fenders. I really don’t want to go the step or mudflap route, and I thought these could be the best of both worlds from the protection versus bulk point of view. Have they provided good protection from stones on the rear fenders? I only have 700 miles on my Rubicon and already have several marks on the rears. I don’t mind a few here and there but really don’t want them destroyed in so short of a time with minimal off road time. Would these be a good solution from those of you that have them? Thanks!

Sponsored

SWIRVN

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon (ordered)
After the positive reviews here I decided to order these and were delivered today. Took less than hour to remove the rock rails and install them. Very straight forward install.

Fit and finish is excellent and seem very durable. Definitely heavier and more beefy than the rubicon rock rails.

Tested as a step a few times and should work out well for the vertical challenged members of the family and looks like better coverage to protect from road debris.

If your looking for a hybrid rock rail / step I would definitely check these out.

Only negative is the price but after receiving them they are a quality product.

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
Hi guys. I am seriously considering these rails mainly as protection from rocks on my painted rear fenders. I really don’t want to go the step or mudflap route, and I thought these could be the best of both worlds from the protection versus bulk point of view. Have they provided good protection from stones on the rear fenders? I only have 700 miles on my Rubicon and already have several marks on the rears. I don’t mind a few here and there but really don’t want them destroyed in so short of a time with minimal off road time. Would these be a good solution from those of you that have them? Thanks!
You will still get shit thrown at the rear fenders.
Capture.JPG

tgoss

First Name
Tal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU, Jeep JLUR
To name these "rock rails" I would have to assume for mainly keeping pebbles from kicking up into the body... I have a set of these and they are absolutely worthless when it comes to keeping an actual rock from coming up into the body.

I wouldn't waste your money on these if you're actually using them for rock crawling.

MovinWes'

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Rubicon Ocean Blue
To name these "rock rails" I would have to assume for mainly keeping pebbles from kicking up into the body... I have a set of these and they are absolutely worthless when it comes to keeping an actual rock from coming up into the body.

I wouldn't waste your money on these if you're actually using them for rock crawling.

Just curious why you think they are worthless for actual rock sliding (supporting weight of vehicle)?

I installed these as well - definitely a nice little improvement from standard rubi rails. That said - I was also wrenching on them with my feet/hands to see how sturdy they would be, and did see some unexpected flex.

Worst would be to drop it on a rock, and have the rock push the rail into the body and create damage...

Has anyone actually dropped these on a rock to slide offroad? Success?

tgoss

First Name
Tal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU, Jeep JLUR
Just curious why you think they are worthless for actual rock sliding (supporting weight of vehicle)?

I installed these as well - definitely a nice little improvement from standard rubi rails. That said - I was also wrenching on them with my feet/hands to see how sturdy they would be, and did see some unexpected flex.

Worst would be to drop it on a rock, and have the rock push the rail into the body and create damage...

Has anyone actually dropped these on a rock to slide offroad? Success?
I don't think they are worthless... I know they are worthless. If you want to use these as step, they work great as just that. They WILL not support anything other than your body weight getting in and out of this thing...

41535218740_0268dd3152_b.jpg

43344600171_decf5fa429_b.jpg

43344601971_2fae9037b5_b.jpg

43344601911_84dd2ba26f_b.jpg

Sponsored

mdelzer

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.undercontrollabs.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JULR Sting-Gray
Occupation
Developer, Home Automation and AV
I don't think they are worthless... I know they are worthless. If you want to use these as step, they work great as just that. They WILL not support anything other than your body weight getting in and out of this thing...

I think you just sold me on the RSE step sliders. Plus they stick out further than the Mopar ones. My kids could use the 12" drop of the step to get in as well.

JD Flick

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Algorithmic Trading Strategies
I also don't really see the point of upgrading from the Rubicon stock sliders to these thicker ones, when they both bolt onto the body.

But, if you're looking for a tough step, check out the GoRhino Dominator D6. They have:

a) A steel slider underneath equally as tough as the Rubicons.
b) Wide step.
c) Optional bolt-on drop steps that can be removed when you go offroading.

I'll make another post with more details here.

20180706_145942.jpg

MovinWes'

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

OOOooofff. Punch in the gut. Sorry you had to have that experience! Scratched sliders is what it's all about, but that compression into the body panel is not cool.

Also now feeling ripped off on these stupidly expensive 'premium rock rails'.

I want to be able to drop the rail on a rock and not come away w/ body damage, but also would like a step for strapping stuff on the roof.

Will take any other recommendations! (and go back through this thread). May now need to buy yet another set of sliders... or go back to the stock rubi-sliders as those seemed to have held up for some hardcore crawling as far as I've seen from new JL youtubers.

MovinWes'

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I also don't really see the point of upgrading from the Rubicon stock sliders to these thicker ones, when they both bolt onto the body.

But, if you're looking for a tough step, check out the GoRhino Dominator D6. They have:

a) A steel slider underneath equally as tough as the Rubicons.
b) Wide step.
c) Optional bolt-on drop steps that can be removed when you go offroading.

I'll make another post with more details here.

20180706_145942.jpg
Hi JD - what do you mean by "don't see the point since they both bolt onto body"?

Don't many effective/hardcore sliders still just bolt on around the pinch seam?

Looking for the mix of true slider protection, and a bit of a step. (the premium mopar rail was actually enough, but based on those pics from Tal, looks like they fall way short of true slider protection)

Last edited:

Vermillion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Wow @tgoss that's terrible.

I took mine off road and they supported the weight of the vehicle without issue and didn't noticeably flex. I have similar (but smaller) cuts/gouges in the lining on bottom of the rail on mine as well. Not overly excited about that, but it's mostly cosmetic.

My only issue I've had so far with parts flexing into the body is the steel rear bumper. That thing moved so much it left marks in the paint and ended up breaking the wiring to the rear backup sensors.

Thanks for sharing and helping people make informed decisions.

What did you end up replacing them with?
Sponsored