Sponsored

Official: 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Specs, Info, Wallpapers...

bilash31

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 JKU, '18 GC
The half doors...Do you think those peep holes can be closed? I don’t hate them if you the can open/close. If you can’t close them off, then they are just stupid.
Post 181 says something about donut doors having a slide in closer. Must be these half doors.

If they didn't close (hopefully seal properly too) what would happen fording water to the specified depth?
Sponsored

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
I was thinking this must be the case, because there's just no way they'd resurrect the crappy old C-clip Dana 35. If Dana is really reusing the D35 designation, though, I would agree that it's worthy of a face-palm. :facepalm:
Suposedly it’s not.

Confusingly it seems like DANA is going to rebrand (recycle the branding) some new AdvanTek axles as Dana 35 & 44, and so it appears we will now see 12-bolt Dana 35 & 44s to help muddy up the naming/identification of which of the myriad of D44s you have out there. And to add to it might as well heap on the bad history of the D35 name for Jeepers. :facepalm:

Shoulda just called them the D36 & D48 (products of 12) to make it simpler, clearer and also avoid confusion with the older models.

We shall see how they fare on the trails and when towing in the diesel. I’ll reserve judgement until then, but the return of the D35 name along with the SlecTrac being anything but, is moving me from a Sahara SE to a Rubi for sure.
Yes time will tell, but hoping as you mentioned, the Jeep claims about the new "D35" pan out, and it ends up a good axle without the prior D35 weaknesses. How hard is it by now anyway to make an axle that does not have key failure points, we have years of knowledge about what tends to break on axles in Jeeps. Not saying throw an equivalent of old school Dana 60 under everything, but still why not build something that stands up to lots of abuse without any key failure areas, then from there build even stronger for those who want to pay for premium in Rubicons and such. I would gladly forgo some other vehicle features to put some extra dollars in better axles. I could always spent $200 on a new radio or something and easily install it, but once you get an axle, you are kind of stuck with it, unless you want to invest a considerable sum for a different aftermarket axle.

nowandthen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 1989 Toyota standard cab pickup
They just relegate the manual to base trims and base engines to make it look like no one wants a manual transmission anymore. "Oh, you want power windows and air conditioning? Well, I'm sorry, but the manual trans simply won't fit in the vehicle with those luxuries."
I have a well optioned JKU Rubicon with manual transmission. So can have the goodies and still row the gears, at least with the Pentastar.

WaltA

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Rubicon X, 2003 Mustang GT, 2003 MINI Cooper
So the Rubicon will have permanent 2 and 4 wheel drive while the Sahara will have an additional auto 4 wheel drive system?
No change for the Rubicon going from JK to JL. Still Rock Trac with 2WD, P/T 4WD Hi, and P/T 4WD 4:1 Lo.

As to the Sahara, it is turning out to not be the SelecTrac we all know and love (which is simply Command Trac with the addition of F/T 4WD Hi). It seems that this new SelecTrac is really some electronically controlled hybrid, of Jeep's making.

Last edited:

GlitteryPonies

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S
So the British dude at the reveal said the 4 cyl. was a mild hybrid, while the specs here say nothing about it being a hybrid (as well as a full electric in 2020). Wonder just how "mild" it will be, and what kind of long term maintenance costs will be involved with the batteries.

Sponsored

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
So the British dude at the reveal said the 4 cyl. was a mild hybrid, while the specs here say nothing about it being a hybrid (as well as a full electric in 2020). Wonder just how "mild" it will be, and what kind of long term maintenance costs will be involved with the batteries.
By "mild hybrid" he might have just meant regenerative braking and some other features that try to recapture some lost energy, which I guess would then be stored in electrical form, used to power electronic items and the starter for the start/stop tech that switches off the car at stoplights.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone notice the Sahara and Sport both do NOT have vented hoods, while the Rubicon has one similar to the MOPAR/AEV hood? Where is the other vented hood we have seen? Like in the New Zealand photos?

kidney

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Italian
2.0-liter turbocharged I-4 engine
The all-new 2.0-liter turbocharged inline four-cylinder engine with eTorque technology is rated a best-in-class 270 horsepower and 295 lb.-ft. of torque and mated to a new eight-speed automatic transmission. The 2.0-liter turbocharged inline four-cylinder (I-4) engine's torque output surpasses that of the V-6 engine offered in Wrangler. The all-new eTorque system improves fuel economy, launch performance, and driver comfort during start/stop operations.

The eTorque system's hybrid functions include auto stop/start, electric power assist, extended fuel shut-off, transmission shift management, intelligent battery charging and regenerative braking. Both the engine and fuel flow may be turned off during stops, coasting or when the engine is decelerating.

The all-new 2.0-liter I-4 engine features a twin-scroll, low-inertia turbocharger with an electronically actuated waste gate for exceptional responsiveness and performance, even while traversing over difficult terrain. The turbo is mounted directly to the cylinder head to improve durability. A dedicated cooling circuit lowers the temperature of the intake air, throttle body and turbocharger.

Direct injection, coupled with turbocharging, enables more efficient combustion and increased performance. The 2.0-liter I-4 engine's fuel pump supplies the engine's 2,900-psi high-pressure common-rail injection system. These high pressures produce better fuel atomization and allow for more precise fuel delivery than port fuel-injection systems, which in turn improves both performance and efficiency.

The 2.0-liter turbocharged I-4 engine is part of the Global Medium Engine architecture family and features Double Overhead Camshafts (DOHC), dual independent camshaft timing, and a cooled exhaust gas recirculation (C-EGR) system. This is the first time that the combined use of a twin-scroll turbocharger, C-EGR system, Central Direct Injection and the independent liquid cooling intake of air, throttle body and turbo have been employed together. This combination of technologies enables the high levels of performance and reduces fuel consumption.

3.6-liter Pentastar V-6 engine
The FCA US 3.6-liter Pentastar V-6 engine delivers 285 horsepower and 260 lb.-ft. of torque and now features Engine Stop-Start (ESS) as standard equipment. It is engineered to provide a broad torque band with a focus on low-end torque – an essential trait needed for extreme off-roading.

An all-new six-speed manual transmission is standard on all Wrangler models equipped with the 3.6-liter Pentastar V-6, and a new-to-Wrangler eight-speed automatic transmission is optional.

Known for its refinement, power, efficiency, and adaptability, there are more than five million 3.6-liter V-6 Pentastar engines on the road today. The 2018 Jeep Wrangler benefits from the popular V-6 engine's low-range torque, which is needed when out on the trails or whenever the conditions call for it.

3.0-liter EcoDiesel V-6 engine
The 3.0-liter EcoDiesel engine will be available starting in 2019. Wrangler 4-door models will offer the 3.0-liter EcoDiesel V-6 engine, rated at 260 horsepower and 442 lb.-ft. of torque, with Engine Stop-Start (ESS) standard. A new eight-speed automatic transmission is standard and is designed to handle the increased torque output.

FCA US engineers adapted the engine – manufactured by FCA-owned V.M. Motori – to meet the NAFTA region's regulatory requirements.

Starting in 2019, the EcoDiesel V-6 engine implements new turbocharger technology with a low-friction bearing designed for low end and transient performance.

The upgraded EcoDiesel V-6 engine now also features low-friction pistons to improve fuel economy, reduce greenhouse gas emissions and provide an enhanced combustion system – new injector nozzle, piston bowl, and glow plug with integrated combustion pressure sensor to optimize combustion.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Anyone notice the Sahara and Sport both do NOT have vented hoods, while the Rubicon has one similar to the MOPAR/AEV hood? Where is the other vented hood we have seen? Like in the New Zealand photos?
Seems to be based on Engine options for the Rubi, so one style AEV for 3.6L and the other style, flat mesh, for the 2.0L based on interior photos of those NZ Wranglers.

So appears two styles of hood vents for Rubicons and Special Editions only.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
http://www.jlwranglerforums.com/for...specs-info-wallpapers.2073/page-15#post-28211

They are 48V Li ion, and will be expensive to replace, but they should last for quite a while before they become unusable, especially since they are not used for primary drive, just for assist.

They are also not integral to the system, so a failure doesn’t me the Wrangler doesn’t work.

Sponsored

Izzy901

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Grand Cherokee
Did they not reveal a sport? Or am I blind?
They didn't. Guess they don't seem to care for us who just want a Wrangler without all the bells and whistles. There is a glimpse of the Sport in the reveal brochure though.

Carlton_Banks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU
They didn't. Guess they don't seem to care for us who just want a Wrangler without all the bells and whistles. There is a glimpse of the Sport in the reveal brochure though.
I like to buy sports. Tear everything out and build them into monsters lol. It's odd that they really aren't mentioning them. Maybe it's going to be push the average customer to the Sahara and offroaders to Rubicon.

kidney

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Italian
http://www.jlwranglerforums.com/for...specs-info-wallpapers.2073/page-15#post-28211

They are 48V Li ion, and will be expensive to replace, but they should last for quite a while before they become unusable, especially since they are not used for primary drive, just for assist.

They are also not integral to the system, so a failure doesn’t me the Wrangler doesn’t work.
The eTorque system's hybrid functions include auto stop/start, electric power assist, extended fuel shut-off, transmission shift management, intelligent battery charging and regenerative braking. Both the engine and fuel flow may be turned off during stops, coasting or when the engine is decelerating.

Will it work or not?

Izzy901

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Grand Cherokee
I like to buy sports. Tear everything out and build them into monsters lol. It's odd that they really aren't mentioning them. Maybe it's going to be push the average customer to the Sahara and offroaders to Rubicon.
This is my first Wrangler so I ordered the Sport so I can sit for hours and hours and figure out which bumper I want or rims or winches. I feel like buying the truck with everything already did takes away from alot of the fun.
Sponsored