Sponsored

2018 Wrangler sport bar removed and will get power soft top?

Aggie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Mojito!
The new features list says we're going to see a power soft top. I think it's actually a good idea for most people out there who don't want to fiddle with a top and could possibly give a better seal from the elements than the current soft top. Any ideas what the mechanism might be like? The only thing I can think of from FCA's trucks is the SkySlider roof from the Jeep Liberty - an accordion style sliding soft top. And with the sport bar removed like rumored, might it look something like this?

Can't say I love how it looks and it's not a full open top, more like a big sunroof. I'm hoping its something more unique and opens up even more than this. Anyone got any other guesses what the power soft top might be beside this?

Jeep Wrangler JL 2018 Wrangler sport bar removed and will get power soft top? {filename}

Jeep Wrangler JL 2018 Wrangler sport bar removed and will get power soft top? {filename}
Sponsored

Moparrr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ, Cherokee
I think Wrangler owners will riot if it gets the accordion style roof of the Liberty without any changes. It's just a big sunroof and belongs on your typical SUV , NOT on the Wrangler. I don't know how they are going to do it on the JL but FCA cant screw this up, the roof is too important.

Jeep XXL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
If the current soft top is dropped and replaced with something like that, that'd be a major fail. I don't want a glorified sunroof like the Liberty's Skyslider roof. Hell I've been in an Audi Q7 SUV with a sunroof that basically opens that wide. I got confidence tho that Fiat Chrysler understands their hardcore Wrangler customers well and one of the biggest draws to the car is the ability to convert to a very open air experience.

JoKer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Wrangler Sport
I don't necessarily have an issue with the sliding accordion top. It actually seems like a simple and direct way to power a retracting hard top, but I have an issue with how limited the range is on the Liberty. Wrangler guys are used to being to have an open top, side and rear.

*IF* the new Jeep Wrangler JL gets a power soft top similar to this, maybe it can retract all the way back and down behind the rear seats. This patent for a sliding / folding soft top assembly on an SUV has the right idea... there's rails that extend all the way down behind the seats so the top can be slid all the way back and down.

from https://www.google.com/patents/US20...ved=0ahUKEwjzxrP57cXMAhUFMSYKHcs1CgEQ6AEIHTAA

Last edited:

Otto

First Name
Otto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sport (JK)
The removal of the sport / roll bar and replaced with a roof structure really bothers me. I'm picturing a Wrangler roof with lots of removable sunroof panels and window panels but no longer a whole top removal.

Sponsored

Bill P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited
The removal of the sport / roll bar and replaced with a roof structure really bothers me. I'm picturing a Wrangler roof with lots of removable sunroof panels and window panels but no longer a whole top removal.
Have you considered that maybe what they come up with will actually be a better design with more safety and functionality? Even with a roof structure, as long as the structure isn't too thick, if you remove all of the top and side panels it'll still be an open air experience. And with a roof structure comes the ability to support either glass or power soft top.

Campbell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Challenger
Have you considered that maybe what they come up with will actually be a better design with more safety and functionality? Even with a roof structure, as long as the structure isn't too thick, if you remove all of the top and side panels it'll still be an open air experience. And with a roof structure comes the ability to support either glass or power soft top.
Then it remains to be seen how much roof structure will remain after all panels/windows are removed. If it's minimal then true it might be as good an open air experience as now, and added bonus of being able to do it by yourself instead of needing 2-3 people to remove current top.

N.Stark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 TJ
I'm with you. My fear is they're trying to move the Wrangler closer to a Cherokee type car. To me the full open air experience is what makes a Wrangler a Wrangler. Take that away and what you have isn't much different than your regular SUV's except for body on frame construction and live axle. There's plenty of Jeep models that already offer fully enclosed cabin so why possibly ruin Wrangler's iconic image and history with an enclosed top.

ModdedJK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Modded JK
Clubs

I'm with you. My fear is they're trying to move the Wrangler closer to a Cherokee type car. To me the full open air experience is what makes a Wrangler a Wrangler. Take that away and what you have isn't much different than your regular SUV's except for body on frame construction and live axle. There's plenty of Jeep models that already offer fully enclosed cabin so why possibly ruin Wrangler's iconic image and history with an enclosed top.

There's been surveys done where Wrangler owners said that the totally removable top is what made the car appealing to them but in the same survey they also admitted that they seldom take the top off. Goes to show that the image and potential for going open air greatly helps sell the Wrangler, regardless if it's actually taken advantage of.

CrashBurn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F-150
Just more weight and complexity if they go to a powered retracting soft top. Here's an idea - why not just make the whole thing a soft panel that can be rolled up manually? Or an even bigger soft panel that would cover and button down on the entire roof structure. Still easily removable and easy to store.

Sponsored

SWinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Wrangler JK
Just more weight and complexity if they go to a powered retracting soft top. Here's an idea - why not just make the whole thing a soft panel that can be rolled up manually? Or an even bigger soft panel that would cover and button down on the entire roof structure. Still easily removable and easy to store.
I'd be all for a soft top you remove manually but FCA apparently wants to modernize it and add some tech and creature comforts to the Wrangler. IMO it doesn't belong with the history or utility of the Wrangler and they should keep it off the JL. There's other Jeeps you can buy if you want more luxury and convenience.

Jeep XXL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
I'd be all for a soft top you remove manually but FCA apparently wants to modernize it and add some tech and creature comforts to the Wrangler. IMO it doesn't belong with the history or utility of the Wrangler and they should keep it off the JL. There's other Jeeps you can buy if you want more luxury and convenience.
Honestly the soft top is a pain in the a$$. It's difficult to do by yourself, it's a pain zipping the windows in/out, and having to worry about keeping the windows scratch free on top of that.

It really could use a redesign to make it easier to remove and install on a regular basis rather than just remove once in Summer and install once in Winter like I currently do. Any redesign of the soft top to make it easier to go up and down on a more regular basis (like even on the same trip if the weather changes) would be very welcomed by me.
Sponsored