Sponsored

What makes a sahara worth the money, and cant after market address it

DivingPyrate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Musle Cars Shopping for a Jeep
Been studying the heck out of all the different models, and from what I can tell the main things a sahara offers a sport S cant are
Leather Interior (can live without) Katskins
Suspension
8 inch screen (can live without) After Market Radios
LED Headlights (can live without) After Market LEDs
Color Matched roof and fenders (Actually don't like)

Of all them I could live without most of them, except one
The improved suspension.
Does anyone make a better after market suspension for a Sport S, that would rival the Sahara suspension?
Not interested in lift as much as ride quality. I will most likely never run larger than 33s
Sponsored

bobzdar

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Rubicon X 4XE, '23 Defender 130
Absolutely could duplicate Sahara aftermarket, but it would cost more and have less resale so I don't know why you'd do it... Same with the rubicon.

Agent47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojito! JLU 2.0T (Built 7/4)
Sahara has better brakes. Jeep doesn’t really market this well, as I’ve read numerous reviews complaining about inconsistent braking distances between models. Look at the window sticker and it will mention HD brakes on both Rubicon and Sahara.

Btw, Sahara suspension will be cheap to duplicate as you could buy takeoff suspension when people upgrade to a different one.

OP
OP
DivingPyrate

DivingPyrate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not to interested in resale, I buy a car and drive it until it is done. Right now in am in a 2009 Dodge Charger RT with 100k on it
this will be a keeper for a looooong time

dccurtis

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Old Jeeps: 93 YJ, 01 Sahara, 03 Rubicon. Current 18 JLU Sahara
Don’t forget that SlectTrac (fulltime 4wd) is only available on the Sahara.

But your right most things can be done aftermarket. Which is really true of any Jeep. If you like the interror treatments (leather dash, etc) then I’d go with the Sahara. The interior will be basically impossible to replicate aftermarket.

Sponsored

raqball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
Absolutely could duplicate Sahara aftermarket, but it would cost more and have less resale so I don't know why you'd do it... Same with the rubicon.
Not really...

I bought a Sport but liked a few things from the other models. My Sport was 13K less than a Rubicon.

Added take off Rubicon Wheels = $600
Added take off Rubicon Rock Rails = $140
Added Uconnect 4 7" Screen = $500
Added Gas Filler Door = $90

My total damage to get the bits and parts I liked? $1,330 -v- $13,000

Gaxmode

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Been studying the heck out of all the different models, and from what I can tell the main things a sahara offers a sport S cant are
Leather Interior (can live without) Katskins
Suspension
8 inch screen (can live without) After Market Radios
LED Headlights (can live without) After Market LEDs
Color Matched roof and fenders (Actually don't like)

Of all them I could live without most of them, except one
The improved suspension.
Does anyone make a better after market suspension for a Sport S, that would rival the Sahara suspension?
Not interested in lift as much as ride quality. I will most likely never run larger than 33s
I’m selling my sahara suspension that I removed to replace the mopar lift.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
IF you don’t like a Sahara don’t get a Sahara. That’s why there are different trims.

But there are a lot more differences. Look at the standard equipment in the order guide:

Official 2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Order Guide (4-Door JLU - U.S.). Order bank is open!

For example different bumper, more usb and electrical ports, premium stitching in the interior, bigger brakes, bigger wheels, exterior trim, selec-trac option, remote proximity entry option, and DRL.

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Not really...

I bought a Sport but liked a few things from the other models. My Sport was 13K less than a Rubicon.

Added take off Rubicon Wheels = $600
Added take off Rubicon Rock Rails = $140
Added Uconnect 4 7" Screen = $500
Added Gas Filler Door = $90

My total damage to get the bits and parts I liked? $1,330 -v- $13,000
That's fine, but it still isn't a Rubicon. The axles and transfer case are really what makes a Rubicon a Rubicon. I understand that you just got the bits you like, and I am certainly not against that, but you cannot make the claim that you spent $1330 and have the same appointments as a Rubicon that is $13k more. In the end, a Rubicon will still hold more value than a sport with bolt on's. Now, if you were to say that you bought a sport with the intent to replace the axles and transfer case to something equal to or better than what a Rubicon comes with, that has some validity.

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
I had a sport and debated a Sahara when I bought it. Figured it was just cosmetic stuff. I’m a commuter, so I knew the Rubi would never be used to it’s potential.

Fast forward, traded the sport JK to a Shara Jk. Much better for me and the little differences added up quickly. For the cost, it was all done in advance vs having to debate buying parts and install. Plus a lot more upgrade options opened up from the factory.

Fast forward to the JL. Never even looked at the sport. Sahara was more my draw as the LED package itself was enough to sway me.

But you do you. They make different trims for a reason.

Sponsored

raqball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
That's fine, but it still isn't a Rubicon. The axles and transfer case are really what makes a Rubicon a Rubicon. I understand that you just got the bits you like, and I am certainly not against that, but you cannot make the claim that you spent $1330 and have the same appointments as a Rubicon that is $13k more. In the end, a Rubicon will still hold more value than a sport with bolt on's. Now, if you were to say that you bought a sport with the intent to replace the axles and transfer case to something equal to or better than what a Rubicon comes with, that has some validity.
Who cares if it's not a Rubicon? I get that some buy it for the stickers and badges but that's not me as even if I had purchased a Rubicon those stickers and badges would have been removed almost as soon as I drove it off the dealer lot. I am not looking to impress anyone and want my Jeep the way I want it...

I didn't want the same appointments as the Rubicon, if I did then that's what I would have purchased. I wanted a stripper Jeep with manual door and manual locks. You see, not everyone is interested in what the Rubicon has to offer. I don;t rock crawl and I don't do extreme off road. I do easy to moderate trails and any Wrangler, even stock is capable of that..

OP, get what you want and build it how you want. The problem with factory options is you want this but in order to get it you have to add a package that includes it, but a few others things you may have zero interest in.. I viewed mine as a blank canvas.. I can do what I want to it with out the added things I don't want..

OP
OP
DivingPyrate

DivingPyrate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
IF you don’t like a Sahara don’t get a Sahara. That’s why there are different trims.

But there are a lot more differences. Look at the standard equipment in the order guide:

Official 2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Order Guide (4-Door JLU - U.S.). Order bank is open!

For example different bumper, more usb and electrical ports, premium stitching in the interior, bigger brakes, bigger wheels, exterior trim, selec-trac option, remote proximity entry option, and DRL.
Hmmm re-reading my post. Do not see your statement or assumption anywhere

OP
OP
DivingPyrate

DivingPyrate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Who cares if it's not a Rubicon? I get that some buy it for the stickers and badges but that's not me as even if I had purchased a Rubicon those stickers and badges would have been removed almost as soon as I drove it off the dealer lot. I am not looking to impress anyone and want my Jeep the way I want it...

I didn't want the same appointments as the Rubicon, if I did then that's what I would have purchased. I wanted a stripper Jeep with manual door and manual locks. You see, not everyone is interested in what the Rubicon has to offer. I don;t rock crawl and I don't do extreme off road. I do easy to moderate trails and any Wrangler, even stock is capable of that..

OP, get what you want and build it how you want. The problem with factory options is you want this but in order to get it you have to add a package that includes it, but a few others things you may have zero interest in.. I viewed mine as a blank canvas.. I can do what I want to it with out the added things I don't want..
Yes it is funny how the badge police come out
It was a question about options not pride of package level.

But hey, it is the internet
And I agree, I almost always completely debage my vehicles. The quickest way to set yourself a part is build a mystery sleeper

Tfom

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
It sounds like the Sport S works for you. I wanted the things on the Sahara you didnt, and would have no desire to run around upgrading everything. Flip side, a Rubicon doesn't make sense for me since I am nit interested in rock crawling. The trim levels exist for a reason so I guess they know what they are doing.

OP
OP
DivingPyrate

DivingPyrate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It sounds like the Sport S works for you. I wanted the things on the Sahara you didnt, and would have no desire to run around upgrading everything. Flip side, a Rubicon doesn't make sense for me since I am nit interested in rock crawling. The trim levels exist for a reason so I guess they know what they are doing.
Well actually I was not aware about the brakes. That is important as I will be towing.
Wondered what HD brakes were, now I know.
The other thing I really like about sahara and hate, is the leather interior gives you the drop down center arm rest on the back seat. Not a fan of factory leather, since custom leather is reasonable and you get what you want. But that is the only way to get that option and leather is not on the Sport S
Sponsored