Brian08

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 2500HD
Looking for Opinions
We have JL Rubicon coming will be here soon next week.
Ok when we ordered it we knew we change the wheels and tires wanted 2 inch lift with 37.
The shop I am talking to
Said the Mopar Lift, Mopar Rear Gate Kit and Calibration for the tires.
The Mopar Rear Gate Kit is what is Killing me going be 850 for the kit and 250 to install it. Any other way to go on it? I would think for a few more bucks I could get swing out.
I am sure not much stuff is out for the JL as it is yet.

Should I just wait and do nothing?
Should I do 35 so I dont have to lift or do the gate kit?
Should I say bump the kit and run the risk on stock gate with 37 if it will even fit?
Sponsored

StingGrayRubi

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Looking for Opinions

Should I say bump the kit and run the risk on stock gate with 37 if it will even fit?
A 37 won't fit without a relocation bracket. I installed the Mopar reinforcement and relocation kit myself, also sourced the two parts online separately and they came to 750 total. I wouldn't put the spare on without reinforcement. The install isn't difficult, there are some great youtube videos on the process.

You will regret 35's, they are way too small for the JL.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
The Mopar Rear Gate Kit is what is Killing me going be 850 for the kit and 250 to install it. Any other way to go on it? I would think for a few more bucks I could get swing out.
You don't need Mopar's ridiculously overpriced "reinforcement kit." Since it doesn't attach to the tub at the hinges like Teraflex's hinged carrier did for the JK, you aren't actually reinforcing anything, nor transferring any of the weight off the gate. IMO, it's a completely BS product. Rough Country has a relocation mount for the stock tire carrier that'll move it up and forward and it works just fine. However, the key to keeping your gate intact are the bumpstops for the tire. It amazes me how many people seem to ignore this vital step and then they wonder why their gate folded.

The JL gate is significantly stronger than the JK. Is it invincible? No. But it'll handle a lot of weight when everything is bolted on and secured properly. There are plenty of people with 37s mounted onto beadlock wheels that are on the gate that simply have the tire carrier relocated and the gate holds up just fine, even after some serious wheeling.

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
A 37 won't fit without a relocation bracket. I installed the Mopar reinforcement and relocation kit myself, also sourced the two parts online separately and they came to 750 total. I wouldn't put the spare on without reinforcement. The install isn't difficult, there are some great youtube videos on the process.

You will regret 35's, they are way too small for the JL.

I do think a relo bracket is needed for 37s on any trim - including Rubicon. I have the SmittyBilt relo bracket waiting to go on. Plenty of options, will run you about $80.

With regard to reinforcement - lots of varying opinions on this. If your 37s are heavy 37s and your wheels are also heavy, you may want to consider it. If you’re doing extreme off-roading with major bumps/drops for the backend, risk of catching spare on rocks, etc, you should do it.

If you’re going to be doing light off-roading, you will most likely be fine - if you just spend $5 and extend the rear tire isolators (YouTube / super easy and cheap to do).

WranglerAz

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2019 JLR, 2000 TJ
Looking for Opinions...
The Mopar Rear Gate Kit is what is Killing me going be 850 for the kit and 250 to install it. Any other way to go on it?
The official Mopar web site has the kit for $713, and with Jeep Wave I have read you should be able to get it for less. You can install this yourself, watch youtube videos.

Sponsored

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
No need for that overpriced mopar piece. I’m not even running a relocation bracket with 37’s. I did remove my rear bumper but if you have a plastic rear bumper it should fit just fine. Pics with and without bumper. Factory wheels and no brackets.

3A712B09-1AED-4C62-B076-624ECD8B4B4D.jpeg

093FC8EE-C4A0-41CE-AB94-92CA26064AFF.jpeg

A14642E0-F638-4F85-82C7-93ED15197F90.jpeg

45149019-D4F1-41A1-A2B3-F44BB53B8F98.jpeg

Tharris

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 4dr (JLU) Sting Gray
Looking for Opinions
We have JL Rubicon coming will be here soon next week.
Ok when we ordered it we knew we change the wheels and tires wanted 2 inch lift with 37.
The shop I am talking to
Said the Mopar Lift, Mopar Rear Gate Kit and Calibration for the tires.
I am sure not much stuff is out for the JL as it is yet.

The gate reinforcement kit can be purchased for 600-650, and installation is super easy. The 2' mopar lift with relocation brackets is overpriced as well in my opinion. You can get better springs, better shocks for the price.
The Tire reinforcement kit has yet to be proven to really add any tangible benefit. I've read of people crimping or bending their rear tire carrier running 37's. It has also been brought up that the real weak point of the gate/tire carrier setup on the JL's is not the gate, but the hinges.
Personally if you wanna make sure it does mess your rig up, Id go a full tire carrier. Poison Spyder one is 960 bucks. 850+relocation bracket is basically the same price.
The difference between 35's and 37's is negligible in my opinion. If you are crawling, then go 37's, if not 35's on any trail with moderate to heavy climbing would do just fine and would look great as well (on top of being cheaper)
I wouldn't run the stock gate with 37's.

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
No need for that overpriced mopar piece. I’m not even running a relocation bracket with 37’s. I did remove my rear bumper but if you have a plastic rear bumper it should fit just fine. Pics with and without bumper. Factory wheels and no brackets.

3A712B09-1AED-4C62-B076-624ECD8B4B4D.jpeg

093FC8EE-C4A0-41CE-AB94-92CA26064AFF.jpeg

A14642E0-F638-4F85-82C7-93ED15197F90.jpeg

45149019-D4F1-41A1-A2B3-F44BB53B8F98.jpeg
Is this confirmation that 37s fit on a Rubicon with no need for relocation bracket? Only for plastic bumpers?

StingGrayRubi

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Is this confirmation that 37s fit on a Rubicon with no need for relocation bracket? Only for plastic bumpers?
The 37" BF Goodrich K02 is the smallest and lightest 37 on the market and may be contributing to being able to fit on his set up. If you are seeking confirmation that a 37" will fit with plastic bumper, run the K02's like OnlyOne posted pictures of.

Sponsored

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
The 37" BF Goodrich K02 is the smallest and lightest 37 on the market and may be contributing to being able to fit on his set up. If you are seeking confirmation that a 37" will fit with plastic bumper, run the K02's like OnlyOne posted pictures of.
Right, not interested in KO2s.

But a few places now, people have said 37s are fitting without relo brackets. I have my relo and will just put it on if I need to, I guess, but would love to hear ahead of time from others’ experiences.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No. Many other 37’s will fit with the plastic bumper setup. Or no bumper at all if you like that look. They are one of the lightest but size wise they are about the same as the majority of other tires on the market. They are all about 1/4 to 1/2” mounted, with a load of each other. This won’t make a difference as far as needing a bracket unless you’re going with a 13.5 wide tire.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Right, not interested in KO2s.

But a few places now, people have said 37s are fitting without relo brackets. I have my relo and will just put it on if I need to, I guess, but would love to hear ahead of time from others’ experiences.
See my last reply. It’s not hard to swap if you need the bracket.

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
No. Many other 37’s will fit with the plastic bumper setup. Or no bumper at all if you like that look. They are one of the lightest but size wise they are about the same as the majority of other tires on the market. They are all about 1/4 to 1/2” mounted, with a load of each other. This won’t make a difference as far as needing a bracket unless you’re going with a 13.5 wide tire.
Great info, thank you. Of course, I just decided to go to 13.5” instead of 12.5”, lol.

Looks like I’ll hold on to my tire carrier to be safe.

Any idea on whether 13.50s will work with 4.33” of BS? Can’t seem to get confirmation.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Great info, thank you. Of course, I just decided to go to 13.5” instead of 12.5”, lol.

Looks like I’ll hold on to my tire carrier to be safe.

Any idea on whether 13.50s will work with 4.33” of BS? Can’t seem to get confirmation.
I don’t see why they wouldn’t.
Sponsored