Sponsored

Future JL owners - what mods / modifications do you foresee/planning (so far)?

RonH

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford F-150, 2018 Granite Crystal Metalic JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Retired AF, Now Field Engineer / Site Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Lift
Aftermarket Wheels
35" - 37" Grabber X3's
Rock Rails
Winch
Front Bumper
Rear Bumper (maybe)
Assorted other this and that's
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I want to see some of the Mopar stuff up close. I'm liking the roof rack, and I think it confirms the reason for extending the gutters all the way back. I like that it can be mounted only when you need it. I don't want the drag and wind noise every day, but it would be nice for expeditions to be able to put extra fuel or even a 2nd spare tire up there, along with other gear.

I also see in the pics from SEMA a first aid kit and other gear that looks like it is made for the molle webbing on the seatbacks in the Rubicon. I'll snag the first aid kit, for sure, if it isn't a price gouge. If it is, then there are some great ones from the aftermarket, like Elite First Aid's Tactical Trauma Kit #1, which comes in a nice red pouch with molle webbing ont the back. The red happens to look like firecracker red, too!

If I didn't mention it before, I'll immediately be ordering front Mopar splash guards to reduce salt spray and rock damage behind the front tires. I put a set on my JK and they made a significant difference. They look integrated with the fenders, too.

A fire extinguisher will be added quickly, as well. Not sure where I'll mount it, yet, though. I'll also add a winch accessory bag and kit, with snatch block, D-ring shackles, tree saver, tow straps, and rear hitch receiver D-ring shackle mount. Same gear as I've got in my JK.

I've also purchased a nice black tactical backpack (to match the black interior and keep it lower vis). In it, I keep a change of clothes, including dry socks, gloves, stocking cap, a couple MRE's, a few water bottles, hand warmers, rain ponchos, fire starters, emergency blankets, and other basic survival gear. This stays in the Jeep at all times.

Man, I'm itching to get my hands on this JL!

RonH

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford F-150, 2018 Granite Crystal Metalic JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Retired AF, Now Field Engineer / Site Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I also see in the pics from SEMA a first aid kit and other gear that looks like it is made for the molle webbing on the seatbacks in the Rubicon. I'll snag the first aid kit, for sure, if it isn't a price gouge. If it is, then there are some great ones from the aftermarket, like Elite First Aid's Tactical Trauma Kit #1, which comes in a nice red pouch with molle webbing ont the back. The red happens to look like firecracker red, too!

Check out these guys...

https://mymedic.us/collections/first-aid-kits/products/myfak-firstaidkit

I had my supply guy order 5 of the basic kits for work, and they are awesome! I won't go with anyone else...

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
Powered Convertible Top
Full Width Bumper with Sunken Winch
Gladiator Grille
mytop1.JPG
s-l1600 (2).jpg
Y0uC4tplRmCf._UX970_TTW__.jpg

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Powered Convertible Top
Full Width Bumper with Sunken Winch
Gladiator Grille
mytop1.JPG
s-l1600 (2).jpg
Y0uC4tplRmCf._UX970_TTW__.jpg
I was orginally interested in one of those powered tops until I watched a video of it. The problem with it is that they don't compresss very well at the back when they are opened. Maybe they are better now?

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
I was orginally interested in one of those powered tops until I watched a video of it. The problem with it is that they don't compresss very well at the back when they are opened. Maybe they are better now?
They have a new model coming out for the 2018 JL and JK which folds flat below the spare. I wish I knew about their company a decade ago, because the Wrangler would have been my first and only car for the rest of my life!

Sponsored

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Gonna stick with the theme from my original post. Even though we've got a much better idea of the JL than when this thread was first started, I'm still curious about what popular and well-known JK flaws have been corrected, if any. The first round of mods I did to my JK were addressing those long before I went serious with a lift, steering, driveshafts, etc. So, assuming they didn't, here will be what I do first:
  • Replace common suspension bolts with shoulder bolts so that threads don't wallow out holes.
  • Add a tailgate hinge that can actually handle the weight of a spare, assuming the gate is still laughably hollow.
  • Trackbar replacement brackets, assuming the mounting brackets on the JL are like the JK and have the strength of a paper mache project.
  • Relocate the steering stabilizer. It appears to be attached to the axle now, but is still positioned in a real stupid spot.
  • Bring my JW Speaker headlights over to the JL, assuming the connector and fitment are the same.
  • Polyfill the soundbar for better acoustics, assuming it's hollow plastic like the JK.

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
Gonna stick with the theme from my original post. Even though we've got a much better idea of the JL than when this thread was first started, I'm still curious about what popular and well-known JK flaws have been corrected, if any. The first round of mods I did to my JK were addressing those long before I went serious with a lift, steering, driveshafts, etc. So, assuming they didn't, here will be what I do first:
  • Replace common suspension bolts with shoulder bolts so that threads don't wallow out holes.
  • Add a tailgate hinge that can actually handle the weight of a spare, assuming the gate is still laughably hollow.
  • Trackbar replacement brackets, assuming the mounting brackets on the JL are like the JK and have the strength of a paper mache project.
  • Relocate the steering stabilizer. It appears to be attached to the axle now, but is still positioned in a real stupid spot.
  • Bring my JW Speaker headlights over to the JL, assuming the connector and fitment are the same.
  • Polyfill the soundbar for better acoustics, assuming it's hollow plastic like the JK.
From the back seat photos, users are saying the backrest reclines more, which I hope to god is true. No vehicle this large should have such uncomfortable rear seats

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Mine will be a soft top daily driver with the top down as much as possible so the mods will reflect that -

- sun shade
- side view mirrors and brackets for when the doors are off
- locking storage compartment
- I'm getting a Sport so probably upgraded headlights
- Heated seats at some point

Cosmetically

- I may be get a black grille depending on which color I get
- 33s once the tires wear out (potentially a leveling kit or budget lift at that point)

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I plan on pulling out the carpet in the cargo area, building a hidden floor for my gear and then coating it with Line-X
I like carpet in the front of the jeep but the cargo area is where my yellow lab is and she isn't carpet friendly.
Sponsored