Best insurance company?

sten

First Name
sten
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2018 JL
Hi, hope this hasn't been covered to death (did a search and could not find anything). Returning from 3 years o/s, picked up my Rubicon 3 weeks ago and called Geico who put me on $170/month. I accepted it as we were picking up the Jeep the next day, but it sounds VERY high to me. I used to have a new Mustang GT (5 liter, 440 hp) and that was 75/month. Their explanation is that everything due to all new technology on the bumpers and mirrors makes any repair much more expensive. So, any recommendations for two 55-year old drivers with great driving records living in Austin, TX?
Sponsored

raqball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
$170 a month? Holy cow!

I am paying $97 total a month through GEICO for full coverage on 2017 RAM 3500 dually and my 2018 Wrangler JLU..

$500 deductibles on the RAM and $500/$250 on the Jeep. I went lower comp on the Jeep for windshield replacement.

I am 52, no accidents or tickets in the past 30 years and have multiple discounts. My credit scores (which I think they also factor in) are in in the 780-790 range..

Here is a screenshot of my 6 month premium costs per vehicle.
Screenshot 2018-07-03 at 10.48.49.png

Pheonixsp

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR granite, 2016 IS350 Fsport, 2012 X5
Occupation
Finance
Hi, hope this hasn't been covered to death (did a search and could not find anything). Returning from 3 years o/s, picked up my Rubicon 3 weeks ago and called Geico who put me on $170/month. I accepted it as we were picking up the Jeep the next day, but it sounds VERY high to me. I used to have a new Mustang GT (5 liter, 440 hp) and that was 75/month. Their explanation is that everything due to all new technology on the bumpers and mirrors makes any repair much more expensive. So, any recommendations for two 55-year old drivers with great driving records living in Austin, TX?
For NJ I pay $2,014 a year for the JL jeep, IS 350, and X5 for full coverage for my wife (33) and myself (34) with All State including zero comprehensive deductible and 1000 collision deductible. That comes out to about $168/month for THREE cars. I do have homeowners bundled but that doesn't make up for you guys paying $170 /month for one car. I would shop around and get some competitor quotes. Especially since I moved from Dallas to NJ a few years ago and rates in NJ were much higher than Texas. All State surprisingly for me was much cheaper than Geico. Even the Geico agent was confused about how off they were when I cancelled with her. I had State Farm when I was in Texas and Geico before I bought Jeep.

My situation is without blemishes on my drivers record. Unless you guys have a bad driving record you should be able to do better. It's at least worth checking out.

Dan S

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Sahara
Occupation
Elevator Mechanic Apprentice
Every time I've checked with Geico they were nearly twice what I pay with State Farm.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Sten to do a fair comparison, as you probably realize, we have to not only know what that coverage that will provide you with, likely to vary in necessity by State (I see you specified TX) , but the insurer's customer service, the age of the drivers, your claim accident record, the likelihood they'll drop you after X number of claims or raise rates, and how well they cover repairs, etc.

You'd think I'd be telling you ways to reduce your costs. Instead, what I will say is the if you own a home, I'd also keep at least a million in umbrella coverage as well.

Of course you could up your deductible...and eat all insurance costs below $4K yourself.

I hear you. It's frustrating. There's just something that rubs me the wrong way about how that rate, in part, covers uninsured or underinsured motorists. Those people should have to be my indentured servants if they cause me har,--the premise of the TV show within a TV show "Jerry" as appeared on "Seinfeld."

Sponsored

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Try Progressive.com. They are almost half the cost of Geico for me with the exact same deductibles and amounts of coverage - 100% clear driving record.

Ruby Jack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
$170 a month? Holy cow!

I am paying $97 total a month through GEICO for full coverage on 2017 RAM 3500 dually and my 2018 Wrangler JLU..

$500 deductibles on the RAM and $500/$250 on the Jeep. I went lower comp on the Jeep for windshield replacement.

I am 52, no accidents or tickets in the past 30 years and have multiple discounts. My credit scores (which I think they also factor in) are in in the 780-790 range..

Here is a screenshot of my 6 month premium costs per vehicle.
Screenshot 2018-07-03 at 10.48.49.png
It REAAAALLY depends on your zip code. I'd wager you are from a rural area with not a lot of drivers. Move to a city like LA/NY/Chicago and you'll be paying what you pay for a 6 month policy every month.

raqball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
I'd wager you are from a rural area with not a lot of drivers. Move to a city like LA/NY/Chicago and you'll be paying what you pay for a 6 month policy every month.
Nope.. Portland, OR / Vancouver, WA metro area has a population of something like 3 million.. I live dead smack in the center of the joint...

When I lived in LA last year I was paying slightly more ($15 a month or so if I remember correctly)

Edit: Just look at last years billing.. In LA for the RAM and a 2015 Audi I was paying $107 per month.

Ruby Jack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Nope.. Portland, OR / Vancouver, WA metro area has a population of something like 3 million.. I live dead smack in the center of the joint...

When I lived in LA last year I was paying slightly more ($15 a month or so if I remember correctly)
Can't speak for LA, but I am an insurance agent in the NE and we get at least like 10 people every week living in NYC trying to get insurance over here for cheap (I'm about an hour from NYC). If we catch them we have to turn them down because insurance is based on your residence (basically where you garage your car at night). They're paying crazy high premiums over there like $400 per month for 2 cars with a clean license.

I know where I live isn't very cheap either, if you drive literally 30 seconds up the road from my office you enter a small town where insurance is about 30% cheaper.

raqball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
Can't speak for LA, but I am an insurance agent in the NE and we get at least like 10 people every week living in NYC trying to get insurance over here for cheap (I'm about an hour from NYC). If we catch them we have to turn them down because insurance is based on your residence (basically where you garage your car at night). They're paying crazy high premiums over there like $400 per month for 2 cars with a clean license.

I know where I live isn't very cheap either, if you drive literally 30 seconds up the road from my office you enter a small town where insurance is about 30% cheaper.

Huh? When I had insurance in LA I lived in LA. Now I live in Vancouver, WA so my insurance is here....

Either way, not sure why my rates are low. I am certainly not going to complain as I pay chicken feed considering I have 2 new and expensive vehicles on the policy..

I've not had any claims at all in decades and my credit scores are high. No tickets either to speak of...

Sponsored

OP
OP
sten

sten

First Name
sten
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2018 JL
Try Progressive.com. They are almost half the cost of Geico for me with the exact same deductibles and amounts of coverage - 100% clear driving record.
Thanks everyone! Just checked with Progressive and we are down below a 100 on what seems to be a like-for-like comparison. Will continue the quest (incl. home insurance), but thanks again to everyone that read and came with good suggestions!

Bullheads1

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Occupation
Healthcare Recruiter
USAA is the lowest for me. Nobody else was even close. Insurance varies so much from driver to driver there probably isn’t a one size fits all insurance company. If there was aid bet they are he’ll to work with when you have a claim.

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
USAA is the lowest for me. Nobody else was even close. Insurance varies so much from driver to driver there probably isn’t a one size fits all insurance company. If there was aid bet they are he’ll to work with when you have a claim.
I went with USAA just because I have both my other vehicles covered through them but I need to shop.. They are at and increase of $169 a month adding the JLU! I took it because I had the keys in my hand but I need to get out from under them quick before my first insurance payment is due LOL

Dogboyslim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Punkn.
...Insurance varies so much from driver to driver there probably isn’t a one size fits all insurance company. ...
Working in the industry, this comment is correct. Just a few things that impact your insurance rates: Limit/deductible choices, vehicle type/size/weight/power/safety features/price, how many vehicles in the home, how many drivers in the home, the credit scores of the people in the home, ages of the drivers, gender of the drivers, marital status of the drivers, age of the youngest driver, age of the oldest driver, number of vehicles with liability only coverage, the BI limits you had with your prior carrier, your driving record, your claim history, policy options (like accident forgiveness...referred to as pre-paid accident surcharge by the actuaries), location of the vehicle, how the vehicle is garaged, how the vehicle is driven, miles the vehicle is driven, what other policies you have with that same company, what affiliated groups do you belong to...and the list goes on.

I shop for insurance like this: Which companies are the best with respect to claim experience? Do the policies cover what I need to be covered (like off-road/trail collision damage)? If these two are a yes, I get a quote and go from there. Any one characteristic from above can make a carrier higher or lower than another carrier, and comparisons to rates other people pay will not help you decide, since they are surely not like you in some way that is used in rating. Just call a bunch of reputable companies and maybe an independent agent or two, get quotes, then decide. Best of luck!
Sponsored