Sponsored

What's taking so long for JL aftermarket parts?

Archer85

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
The new JL's are out............what is taking so long for parts to come out?!?!? I have found ONE set of LED headlights that fit JL and they are like $700, ONE set of floor mats just for JL, TWO fuel doors for JL (each over $100)............at what point will there be actual options? I wanna do stuff to the jeep but its impossible when you cant find anything or have one option thats severely overpriced. I just spent $100 on a fuel door that i could have gotten for $10 for the JK model. Any insight on LED Headlights/Fog Lights for JL?
Sponsored

Rubi-Zero

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon , Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
the Jk is 10yrs old and the JL was just released several months ago so it’s going to take time my friend. Some of the shops just received their JL to develope and test their products. I think by the end of the year and certainly the next year and beyond you will see many more parts to come.

Believe me, I am trying to be patient with options for a tire carrier. There isnt many options out there for one and I really don’t want to go with the Mopar bracket.

OP
OP
Archer85

Archer85

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
the Jk is 10yrs old and the JL was just released several months ago so it’s going to take time my friend. Some of the shops just received their JL to develope and test their products. I think by the end of the year and certainly the next year and beyond you will see many more parts to come.

Believe me, I am trying to be patient with options for a tire carrier. There isnt many options out there for one and I really don’t want to go with the Mopar bracket.
It's just crazy how they have nothing for them. Yes they just came out, but its been months and u'd think there would be a little planning ahead for this lol. Mopar is the only place to get anything, so ofcourse their prices are ridiculous.

Dan S

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Sahara
Occupation
Elevator Mechanic Apprentice
It's just crazy how they have nothing for them. Yes they just came out, but its been months and u'd think there would be a little planning ahead for this lol. Mopar is the only place to get anything, so ofcourse their prices are ridiculous.
The aftermarket didn't have pre-release vehicles to design their parts from. They had to wait before they could even design a product, then test, maybe redesign, determine manufacturing, actually produce product, etc... And I've skipped over dozens of other steps in between. You'd probably be more upset buying something released too soon which doesn't fit or hold up...

Sponsored

American Adventurist

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 StingGray JLUR
The aftermarket didn't have pre-release vehicles to design their parts from. They had to wait before they could even design a product, then test, maybe redesign, determine manufacturing, actually produce product, etc... And I've skipped over dozens of other steps in between. You'd probably be more upset buying something released too soon which doesn't fit or hold up...
This

OP
OP
Archer85

Archer85

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
literally nothing out for 2 doors.
Just seems like there was no planning. Even when ordering something they say "fits 2018 Wrangler" but doesnt specify JL or JK, and NOTHING is interchangeable for the two. So i've emailed places to clarify which model it fits, no responses. Just a headache to no end. I saw one set of LED headlights that says "fits 2018 Wrangler" then the same set of headlights with foglights included and it says "fits 2018 JK", not sure why one would specify and one wouldnt when its the same set of headlights. Just frustrating.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
The new JL's are out............what is taking so long for parts to come out?!?!? I have found ONE set of LED headlights that fit JL and they are like $700, ONE set of floor mats just for JL, TWO fuel doors for JL (each over $100)............at what point will there be actual options? I wanna do stuff to the jeep but its impossible when you cant find anything or have one option thats severely overpriced. I just spent $100 on a fuel door that i could have gotten for $10 for the JK model. Any insight on LED Headlights/Fog Lights for JL?

Additionally, to FCA's unwillingness to disclose specifications of the JL, likely to capture some of the parts market initially with their day 1 available products, lawyers, specifically the patent process are part of why.

Let me correctly assign blame. While it's true that lawyers, like home contractors, can be working on many things at one time, and put a JL product creating client's issues on the back burner at times, the U.S Patent office they seek to have their JL gear inventing clients protected by, by the issuance of patents, isn't as fast as a top race car driver's pit crew.

Product developers work hard to formulate things and deserve, given the cost to do so, to have those ideas protected from poachers. Without patents, the motivation to innovate, without the potential pot of gold for doing so, would be gone. Additionally, new products that leverage such ideas into new patentable products, that benefit consumers, would not as commonly exists if reverse engineering products, rather than complete public disclosure of their operational attributes, a requirement for patent issuance, didn't exist.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Yep, the 2019 model year is now staring at us, and still almost nothing for JL. It's ridiculous.

And the fact that they sold JK and JL as 2018s is making my life a nightmare too. That was a really stupid idea. ALL JL Wranglers should have been 2019 models.

River City Offroad

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.RiverCityOffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Triple White - RK 3.5" X-Factor Stage 1 / Steer Smarts / Mickey Thompson / Fuel
Occupation
Owner at River City Offroad
You guys are frustrated as customers and I am frustrated as a vendor as well. Imagine having a website with thousands of products on it that need the descriptions and applications updated on. It isn't easy on either side and I'm on both being an enthusiast as well as the guy selling parts and making recommendations.

I am not aware of any aftermarket LED headlights yet, but if you're on the hunt for something and want to deal with someone who cares and will answer your questions I'm happy to help you. You can reach me through the forum or any of the options in my signature.

Marcus

Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Never mind aftermarket parts, where’s my MOPAR soft top window bag??

The one aftermarket part I did order, Lange Originals Coyote mirrors, is backordered until August. I canceled that and preordered Rugged Ridge’s offering.

Waited 6 months for my 2dr to get built, now I have to wait for parts.

Oh, well. Love my new Wrangler, so it’s worth it.

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
The transition from JK to JL is going a lot faster than from TJ to JK. When I bought an early 2007 JK there was NOTHING out for months. At least the wheels and some front bumpers are fitting both. The JK was horrible in the beginning. There were very few wheels with the bolt pattern and no parts were interchangeable. Mopar kind of kicked the aftermarket in the nuts with the accessories being marketed before the JL even was officially revealed. Give it time and the JL record sales numbers will cause a huge market for the Jeep aftermarket.

Swartz2017

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Dodge Durango, 2016 Cherokee 75th
@RiverCityOffroad (Marcus)-
Thanks for being transparent with us and offering to help from both supplier and consumer side.

As many state, I think 2019 will be the year for the JL. While I’ve been holding my breathe over a color other than orange, Mr Yuck Green and an unending supply of grey to appear, the aftermarket options are a primary reason as well (if I can get LED lights, a more professional looking USB charge install for rear seats, and some top options- I’m 100% on the Sport S wagon!! Otherwise I HAVE to go Sahara or higher).

I guess in the end I should be happy- more time waiting means more time saving money and enjoying my 75th Cherokee. And today of all days, I’m wishing for a 2019 Oscar Mike JLU!!!

Gregodav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2014, Solstice 2007, 1993 GMC Pick-up
Occupation
I. T. Director and Video Director
And somebody has to build some JL seat brackets before the really tall guys receive concussions and worse. I wish MOPAR could have addressed this issue before those trial attorneys start cranking out the paper.
FCA advertised the JL had more headroom than the JK. --- WRONG.
Sponsored