First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
The bigger question is how do you want it to drive while in 4wheel Drive? Do you want the lower gearing of the Rubicon Transfer Case or the higher gearing of the Sport/Sahara?
I just asked this on another thread. Coming from a YJ, no idea how either of those transfer cases behave? Grasp the 2:72 vs 4:1 but can’t you just drive the Rubi in a higher gear to replicate the 2:72?
Sponsored

badtux

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Rubicon
I just asked this on another thread. Coming from a YJ, no idea how either of those transfer cases behave? Grasp the 2:72 vs 4:1 but can’t you just drive the Rubi in a higher gear to replicate the 2:72?
On the JK you're limited to around 20mph in top gear with the 4:1, otherwise you are revving too high. If you're on a fire road that lets you go around 35mph, you end up having to shift into 4-hi because it's just not doable in 4-lo.

Your YJ has the 2.72:1 transfer case. So you know how that behaves.

It all depends upon whether you're going to do rock crawling. As in, extremely slow speed crawling over boulders and rocks, where you have to go very slow in order to avoid bouncing/slipping off of rocks and crashing. The 4:1 in my Rubicon works great for that. On fire roads, not so much, I end up having to shift back to 4-hi (which requires coming almost to a complete stop) and then, next time we hit obstacles, back to 4-lo again (again requiring coming almost to a complete stop). Doable, but not as convenient as 2.72:1.

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
On the JK you're limited to around 20mph in top gear with the 4:1, otherwise you are revving too high. If you're on a fire road that lets you go around 35mph, you end up having to shift into 4-hi because it's just not doable in 4-lo.

Your YJ has the 2.72:1 transfer case. So you know how that behaves.

It all depends upon whether you're going to do rock crawling. As in, extremely slow speed crawling over boulders and rocks, where you have to go very slow in order to avoid bouncing/slipping off of rocks and crashing. The 4:1 in my Rubicon works great for that. On fire roads, not so much, I end up having to shift back to 4-hi (which requires coming almost to a complete stop) and then, next time we hit obstacles, back to 4-lo again (again requiring coming almost to a complete stop). Doable, but not as convenient as 2.72:1.
That I didn’t know. Rock crawling is almost non-existent here and I think most of the back roads I want to travel for fishing are doable in 4-hi.

On my YJ most trails was on 4-hi but been so long I might be recalling wrong. Did love running at speed off-road. Was thinking of doing some of that on our back roads that line our maby canal systems.
Sponsored