Sponsored

Per a Jeep dealership the JL is not water tight/expect it to fill with water during water crossings!

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
The mats are sold as ALL WEATHER MATS. Meaning snow, slush, rain, etc is contained in them pretty well until you pull the plug and drain them.
Everything I have seen about the mats mentions weather.... not water fording ability. But again, to most people water fording depth means the depth you can have without causing mechanical damage. Squishy carpets ain’t mechanical damage.
Sponsored

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
jeep m-151.jpg
The mats are sold as ALL WEATHER MATS. Meaning snow, slush, rain, etc is contained in them pretty well until you pull the plug and drain them.
Everything I have seen about the mats mentions weather.... not water fording ability. But again, to most people water fording depth means the depth you can have without causing mechanical damage. Squishy carpets ain’t mechanical damage.
Moreover , the Army M-151 routinely drove through water which came into the leg openings , which were cut low . There were drain holes , not plugs . Why have plugs in the first place ? Even mud flows out down the holes .

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
I just don’t understand why some people are assuming floor mats will somehow change water fording. Just look at the mat. It’s a mat with a funnel attached to the bottom. Everything about it is designed to drain water OUT. Like if you are caught in a rainstorm without a top, and there’s a puddle in the mat, you pull the plug to let the water drain. That’s all it does... it gives you a way to drain water out of the mat without having to wrestle the entire mat out of the vehicle, and possibly splashing it everywhere. I’m just not sure what people were expecting.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
some people are assuming floor mats will somehow change water fording. Just look at the mat.
Very funny , lol . They assume Dry water fording , rather than Wet water , and they assume sales brochures are accurate .

Even better , the oem floor mats ought to be thick Sponges .

Last edited:

Bubalooie

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ram longhorn 3500 2018 Jeep Rubicon
Occupation
Pipeline Inspector
How does a worthless thread like this continue along page after page yet others of value die after a few comments.....?
A bunch of assholes arrive to inject their snark.

Sponsored

DivingPyrate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Musle Cars Shopping for a Jeep
um, CJ and YJ owner when did Jeep ever say water would not come in the jeep?
is that a JK thing?
cause every jeep / car / golf cart I have ever seen will get water in it if you go 30 inches in

Bubalooie

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ram longhorn 3500 2018 Jeep Rubicon
Occupation
Pipeline Inspector
Obviously the floor mats are designed to funnel water/debris out of the Jeep, and not keep water from coming back in. Like others stated if you want water tight for fording put the plugs back in the body and not the floor mats.

There's nothing wrong with your floor mats.

Just because the floor mats are a MOPAR accessory doesn't mean they have to keep the same function as the stock Jeep. That's like Jeep saying the JL can fit in parking garages under 71 inches, but then getting upset when you install the MOPAR 2in lift and suddenly your 73 inch tall Jeep no longer fits in the garage.
Your a moron.

OP
OP
James

James

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2018 Jaguar XE, 2018 Fiat 500E
Occupation
Real Estate Broker
Yep , @BillG reads the sales brochure very carefully : Water FORDING , NOT water tight . Also , here we have the fine print disclaimer that "Do NOT attempt water fording unless depth is known to be less than 30 inches" , and damage "may NOT be covered by the new vehicle warranty" .

It does NOT guarantee water TIGHT . So much for relying on a sales brochure , while overlooking the fine print .

Actually , no vehicle , including an LST , is going to be water Tight .
Good morning

I been busy with other stuff
The new JL is guarantee water tight up to 30”.
Go to jeep.com / all new Wrangler / capabilities / water fording and read what it says.
FCA has a new floor mat design and it has the same problem as the one before it.
I’ll be posting a update and video of the problem today on here

Sponsored

OP
OP
James

James

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Real Estate Broker
Hey folks,

Here is an update. Sorry for not being on here for so long, I have been building a cabinet storage system for my JL and it has completely consumed my time. When I’m finished I’ll post it on this form.

The JL is guarantee to be water tight up to 30”. Period! There is no further discussion regarding this part. This is a fact, this is how it was designed and the floor mats have a design flaw that FCA is aware of. These are facts! So anyone who chimes in saying the JL is not water tight is either unaware, don’t care to learn about the capabilities or just trolling this tread.
Please take the time to learn the capabilities of the JL if your going to chime in saying it is not water tight.
By the way, I’m in direct Communications with one of the folks who tested and designed the new JL, they have a lot of new products in the works for this platform.

The first all weather floor mats had a design flaw and Mopar has since updated this flaw with a replacement part. The problem is the same flaw exist with the new updated floor mats.
Please watch the entire video regarding the floor mat problem and a temporary fix.

If you own a JL and have these installed, just driving in rain or water will cause water to enter the vehicle. Again watch the video!

For the folks who chimed in about scratching, denting, getting it dirty or getting mud or water inside of your JL while off roading.
I’ll do no less than 80 days off roading each year, my jeeps have always taken a beating, got dented, scratched, dirt and water inside. Not one of my jeeps ever flooded while entering water, not once, never! If yours does you need to do some serious maintenance on your rig.
Everyone of my previous and current jeeps are well taken care of. Prior to each trip a complete rundown is done to make sure there are no problems during my trip, when I get home my Jeep gets a complete detail including the undercarriage, motor area and a rundown of the vehicle prior to it being parked until the next trip. If something was damaged during my trip I get it replaced or repaired.

As far as my ongoing case with FCA, it has been mind boggling that so many folks who either work at a dealerships/ Jeep care or FCA have so little knowledge regarding the JL water fording capabilities. They are unaware of design flaws or that replacement parts have been issued regarding design flaws.
The good news is FCA is aware of the problem and just like the Mopar spring pad problem will someday have a updated replacement part that corrects the problem.

Thank you all for chiming in on this subject.
Have a great upcoming 4th of July.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Before implementing his fix with the windshield sealer, I would request a follow up video of what removing and reinstalling the mats looks like, also showing what the carpet around the drain hole looks like after using the sealer.

OP
OP
James

James

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Real Estate Broker
Before implementing his fix with the windshield sealer, I would request a follow up video of what removing and reinstalling the mats looks like, also showing what the carpet around the drain hole looks like after using the sealer.
Completely agree.
It is a cheap fix until Mopar has a replacement part available.
I’m ordering this from him to fix this until the replacement parts are out.

hansolowookie

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MANY JEEPS!
Yea cause Im sure you've done so many water crossings in jeeps , and in range rovers too right?

Hey folks,

I can’t make this shit up if I tried.
I bring my JLUR into a dealership this morning to get the Mopar correction pad installed due to the screw up in design on the Mopar 2” lift. There is a tread on here regarding the all weather floor mats not making a tight seal and during a water crossing that the Jeep JL can fill with water if you have them installed per the instructions. I asked the services writer if he can confirm this is not making a tight seal, I showed him how the floor mat is lose around the drain floor hole.
His reply is priceless, this is per a dealership service advisor at a Jeep dealership, the JL is not water tight, the door seals are not water tight and if you go into water you should expect your JL to fill with water!
The advisor advised me that unless FCA / Jeep send him something in writing stating otherwise you should expect the JL to fill with water during a water crossing. He will not inspect the floor mats!

If this is the case than a lot of the advertising for the new JL is false and misleading at best.

Has anyone else experience this at a Jeep dealership?
Did you know if you go into water with your jeep you should expect it to fill with water?
The Mopar snorkel works, you should expect to get water inside during a water crossing! Per this Jeep advisor!

Considering I come from doing a ton of off roading in jeeps, this was news to me, I have done hundreds of water crossings in my TJ and all of my buddies and club members in their JKs. We have never experienced water coming into the vehicle during any water crossings.

Right here is one of the main reasons I have always stayed with the high end brand vehicles. (Range Rover, Jaguar, Mercedes, Ferrari and Lamborghini.) I feel like the folks who work at the lower end brands are not all there. If you work at a Jeep dealership and this offends you I’m sorry, it is not meant to, go get a job at a high end dealership and you will clearly notice the difference in service and the folks who work there. If they don’t know something they go and find out. They don’t make statements that could result in a problem with a customer.

I contacted Jeep care on this form and over the phone. Over the phone they tried to get ahold of the dealership and was unable to speak with anyone, they advised that I contact the dealership manager, try and set another appointment and contact Jeep care when that appointment has been set.
Another words waste more of my time!

@JeepCares
Sponsored