Sponsored

Upgrading from the 5" UConnect3 to 7" UConnect4?

myerides

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Occupation
Operations Manager
Vehicle Showcase
So today I received my 8.4 radio, which dropped in without a hitch.

Front

2m2tket.jpg

Back

119z1o0.jpg

The 8.4" bezel

16p6gw.jpg

The 8.4" bezel on the left, next to the 5" on the right. They are not the same size, as has been reported by others. The 8.4 opening is slightly taller, and the corners have a tighter radius to allow the entire screen to be seen. The material is also different. The 8.4" bezel is a soft touch, almost rubberized plastic that is easier to rest your hand on when tapping the screen. The 5" bezel is a hard plastic.

16acggm.jpg

The GPS antenna has a short lead, and a screw mount protruding out of the bottom. This was perfect for my application, since I mounted the GPS antenna in the storage compartment just above the radio. There are other options out there, however I don't know the part numbers.

21lo7ma.jpg

f09ge9.jpg

2090aww.jpg

16774nn.jpg

The GPS fired right up, without having to go to the dealership to unlock it. My screen also has the climate controls button on permanently. On the climate page, I can't manipulate the climate controls, but when I use the factory controls, their current setting do change on the climate control page. This leaves me hopeful that the automatic climate controls will work, when and if they ever arrive. We'll see.

i1im51.jpg

Did the GPS antenna come with the unit or did you buy it separately? I have the 8.4" unit but need the antenna.

I currently have the Tech Group & Cold Weather Group so I have the 7" display and remote start. When you install the 8.4" does XM Guardian automatically work? In other words, can you remote start, etc with the app?

Thanks!
Sponsored

JJexp

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Raptor, 68 Y body coupe.
Occupation
G650 driver
I don’t know about the xm guardian stuff because I haven’t played with it yet.

The gps antenna I ordered separately, and it was around 50 bucks or so. Did you purchase the 8.4 with the gps already unlocked? There are two 8.4 radios, the cheaper of the two does not have the gps unlocked, from my understanding.

JJexp

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Raptor, 68 Y body coupe.
Occupation
G650 driver
Ok, so today my climate controls and climate control module showed up. I started with the climate controls, and had similar results. Everything but the heat and a/c work. I then located the factory climate control module under the dash.

If you pull the panel below the steering wheel (it just snaps off) and look back and to the right, you will see the blue plug attached to the climate module. The climate module in the car has a different part number than the one I purchased, but is otherwise identical. With the new climate module in place, the fancy new climate controls still do not work, but the factory manual controls do.

I’m thinking that my next step is to see if I can convince a mopar parts guy to let me look at the parts diagrams, and maybe try tracking down where the temperature sensors go. I’m not quite ready to abandon this project yet, so I’ll see what I can find out on Monday and report back.

1hxjzp.jpg

34sgx3l.jpg

2m4cex4.jpg

pichenet

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
Today I received my Bezel (for 7" screen), updated climate control panel, and climate control module. The (radio) install went very easy but it took a few cycles of the system to get everything synced up.

1) First the manual climate settings were showing up in the climate app and the screen changed as I adjusted the manual knobs but the their was no sound in the speakers and I could not get Android Auto working.

2) I thought that I might need to reseed a cable so I turned everything off and began to take things apart again. After disconnecting the climate cable I figured I would try starting again. I started things up and climate app was gone but sound was working. Android Auto popped up as an app but I could not get it working.

3) I turned things off again and reconnected the climate panel. When I restarted sound worked fine and I was able to get Android Auto working. I could only get it to work when the cable was connected. I could not get it working via bluetooth. Is it supposed to work via bluetooth?

So far so good. After reading @thewolfman2010 and @JJexp (THANKS GUYS!) I decided not to try the climate module yet.

pichenet

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
Ok, so today my climate controls and climate control module showed up. I started with the climate controls, and had similar results. Everything but the heat and a/c work. I then located the factory climate control module under the dash.

If you pull the panel below the steering wheel (it just snaps off) and look back and to the right, you will see the blue plug attached to the climate module. The climate module in the car has a different part number than the one I purchased, but is otherwise identical. With the new climate module in place, the fancy new climate controls still do not work, but the factory manual controls do.

I’m thinking that my next step is to see if I can convince a mopar parts guy to let me look at the parts diagrams, and maybe try tracking down where the temperature sensors go. I’m not quite ready to abandon this project yet, so I’ll see what I can find out on Monday and report back.
Thanks JJexp! Did you happen to try the updated climate panel combination across multiple restarts?

Sponsored

pichenet

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
I had some trouble talking to SiriusXM today after swapping my radio from 5" to 7". My Jeep came with 1 year of service (as a chargeable option) but they are saying I can't transfer to the new radio. Anybody else in a similar situation? We're you able to transfer satellite sevice?

Rural Applachia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Rubicon Unlimited 2018 JLU Sport S
I have the 7 in color but want the 8.4 NAV will I need to get a/c module? I have the auto temp control

Sponsored

OP
OP
thewolfman2010

thewolfman2010

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S (JL)
I had some trouble talking to SiriusXM today after swapping my radio from 5" to 7". My Jeep came with 1 year of service (as a chargeable option) but they are saying I can't transfer to the new radio. Anybody else in a similar situation? We're you able to transfer satellite sevice?
Yes, I complained and held my ground. They talked to a manager and finally did it.

pichenet

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
Yes, I complained and held my ground. They talked to a manager and finally did it.
Yup - I finally got them to swap the service to the new radio. Any luck with the Guardian App/Service? It says to click the assist button to start but I was wondering if anyone got it going without the assist button?

pichenet

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
Any news on the climate control front? Debating trying to return my new climate controls and climate module.

raqball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
I've been following this thread but it's a bit of a mess with the other radio sizes mixed in,

Just to make sure I am tracking the 7" upgrade properly.
  • The only things you loose are volume control and power off correct? Volume control must be done via steering wheel controls and there is no way to power off the radio.
  • It's a plug and play swap from Uconnect 3 with 5" screen to Uconnect 4 with 7" screen
  • AC still works via the stock sport controls, correct?
I am debating doing this as my Uconnect 3 with 5" screen is pure, 100% garbage!
Sponsored