Sponsored

Tgpj83

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL
So I just replaced the stupid rear tray with the rear cup holders. Wasn't too bad..took me about 30 mins only bc I didn't know what the hell I was doing, how to get it apart since there was no tutorial when I googled it. So yes the first time Google has failed me....lol!!!

1. move the front seats all the way forward

2. remove rear weather mats or floor mats

3. there are small cutouts to the rear sides of the console. use flat tip screw driver and pry then out and down from the top. This reveals 10mm bolts. Remove those.

4. open center console lid. There are six torx (size 20 torx) screws on the top ledge of console. Only have to remove the two back ones located on either side of lid hinge.

5. Now use a flat tip and pry off the backing of the center console on both sides. The whole back part containing the USB and outlet comes off once those torx screws are removed.

IMG_5529.JPG
IMG_5534.JPG
IMG_5640.JPG
IMG_0085.JPG
IMG_1580.JPG
IMG_5932.JPG
IMG_0166.JPG
IMG_1677.JPG
IMG_7176.JPG
IMG_8149.JPG
IMG_9688.JPG
6. There are 4 torx screws that attach the tray/cupholder to console. The top two are easy to get to. To get to the bottom two I had to prop the center console up about 6 inces to reach underneath and feel my way. The screws aren't to tight and were easy to get out.

All and all not bad. The passenger side seat when folded down sits up about 2 inches or so. Still lays flat enough for me to use if I have to put rear seats down.

Thanks for posting this. I installed mine today and your instructions definitely helped out!

StingGreyTwitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Hydro-Blue Polar Edition | 2018 Sting Grey Rubicon
Can you tell me the seat trim level of your Rubicon? Do you know if the Cloth seats option gets cup holder at your feet or just the coin storage looking option?

OP
OP
Texas_Yote

Texas_Yote

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR Granite, 15 JKS 2DR, F80 M3
Occupation
Slang 1's & 0's
Vehicle Showcase
All done, made an install video as well. Will create a thread with the video and @Rdt3 write up in the DIY section.

Easy stuff!

20180627_175812.jpg

OP
OP
Texas_Yote

Texas_Yote

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Slang 1's & 0's
Vehicle Showcase
Can you tell me the seat trim level of your Rubicon? Do you know if the Cloth seats option gets cup holder at your feet or just the coin storage looking option?
Most of us have the leather option. I belive all cloth trim levels get the floor mounted cup holders. I'll poke around though and see what I can find.

Sponsored

StingGreyTwitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Hydro-Blue Polar Edition | 2018 Sting Grey Rubicon
Thanks Texas_Yote!! I ordered the cloth seats, but will have the Katzkin leather installed. I was wondering if replacing this piece was in my future. It looks like it wont be.

OP
OP
Texas_Yote

Texas_Yote

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Slang 1's & 0's
Vehicle Showcase
Just an update, I have had the cup holders in for about two weeks now and have also had to lay the seats down to move some stuff.

There is a fair amount of pressure put on them when you lay the seats down and stack stuff on the back of the seat; even with the seat recline kit. Going back to what I said earlier, I would not suggest this if you plan on carrying items than need to remain flat or heavy items. If you do keep the heavy stuff forward.

Otherwise this mod is definitely worth the 15 minutes and $45!

Bswen

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Pretty sure that ALL Rubicon and Sahara have the same two options. Leather gets cup holders in seat back, cloth gets cup holders on floor. I dont think it matters that it is a Rubicon. Of course all Sports will come with floor cup holders.

OP
OP
Texas_Yote

Texas_Yote

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Slang 1's & 0's
Vehicle Showcase
Pretty sure that ALL Rubicon and Sahara have the same two options. Leather gets cup holders in seat back, cloth gets cup holders on floor. I dont think it matters that it is a Rubicon. Of course all Sports will come with floor cup holders.
Correct

Sponsored

mazeppa

First Name
y = x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
Just an update, I have had the cup holders in for about two weeks now and have also had to lay the seats down to move some stuff.

There is a fair amount of pressure put on them when you lay the seats down and stack stuff on the back of the seat; even with the seat recline kit. Going back to what I said earlier, I would not suggest this if you plan on carrying items than need to remain flat or heavy items. If you do keep the heavy stuff forward.

The rear headrest combo cupholder on leather seats does move up and down; it can also be removed easily. If you did this mod and need lay the rear seat down and do not want to put too much stress on the seat cupholder, just remove it. It will install just as easily as it removes.

thumbnail_20180727_225406.jpg

OP
OP
Texas_Yote

Texas_Yote

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Slang 1's & 0's
Vehicle Showcase
:like::like:

Girlvet

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 J.K., 2018 JLUR

Can you just pull the cup holder portion of the head rest down before you put the seat flat to avoid this pressure?

OP
OP
Texas_Yote

Texas_Yote

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Slang 1's & 0's
Vehicle Showcase
Can you just pull the cup holder portion of the head rest down before you put the seat flat to avoid this pressure?
Yup, as mentioned above that will work just fine. Here is a pic

***I have a rear seat recline kit installed so mine does not lay as flat as it would without that installed....

20180730_170314.jpg

knick33

First Name
Hank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon (Ordered)
Thank god for a slow day at the office. Just ordered one, I can't wait for the kids to have somewhere to store their drinks. I had 2 mollie bags in the back that would fit water bottles, but not cups.
Sponsored