Jeep Wrangler
All these things remain optional at the end
Sponsored

MotorMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
I'm in the camp of thinking the JLs screen is fine. What do we need a bigger screen for?
Iā€™m not saying the 8.4 is bad. Iā€™m just saying it is dated, and the JL is a vehicle that will be sold for years to come. Why not give it fresh tech? Maybe not the 12 inch screen, but how about the cleaner, glass, ā€œtabletā€ look?

And to think the 8.4 is the highest of 3 screen options. Other 2 arenā€™t even remotely good looking.

theplankeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited

Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
I'm in the camp of thinking the JLs screen is fine. What do we need a bigger screen for?
Iā€™m in the camp of ā€˜either is fineā€™.

I have oreviously said I would like to see the 12ā€ pursuit version they out in law enforcement PoS Chargers (let alone the 14ā€ Maserati screen) the former 12ā€ portrait laupyout would be great for displaying trail map information IMO.

I donā€™t need more real estate for the day to day crap, but for a good portait oriented trail map / GPS this would be great to show detail, but as even the 8.4ā€ (with off-road pages) isnā€™t getting any improved trail/topo maps, itā€™s not really going to be put to good use, just displaying Sirius info and HVAC controls.

Iā€™d like it bigger if they use it, but from the looks ofmit there isnā€™t much benefit to addin a few inches to the screen in this case.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I understand your zeal, it is just the industry has already found the limit to the public will accept, and is retreating back a bit:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/boblutz/2013/06/17/as-the-knobs-turn-ford-brings-back-manual-controls/
That's one thing I really like about the JL and the 8.4. The manual control knobs were a very thoughtful thing to include. You have to look at the screen for touch screen slections, taking your eyes off the road or trail. With the manual knobs, and buttons, once learned, it can be done without taking eyes off the road, or at least by lessening the amount of time eyes are off the road. Keeping your eyes out of the cockpit is a major safety advantage. The fact they made the knobs workable with gloved hands is even better.

Stuweeks

First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I couldnā€™t imagine having a huge screen with the top off. The glare from the sun would make it useless. I have a Kenwood 9903S with a capacitive screen. The screen looks black with the top off and sunglasses on.

How to other convertibles with large screens deal with the glare?

VA6489

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 4x4 diesel, 56 f100 4x4, soon my first "new Jeep"
Like the interior. With anything new someone is going to complain about the new rope. Love to see a Topo map feature/mode in that big center mounted display, that would be useful off road. I am hoping that the interior is at least water resistant. I think it is a good compromise between the hi end and utility.

What I would love to see come back is the ordering process. Base line stripped down you can build with HD axles, no electronics, stick and engine options. all the way up to the Rubi where many of these things are standard.

In the late 70s early 80s one could order every nut and both the way they wanted..... cost savings combined packages to the 90% buyer.... Special orders have become a thing of the past or only available to select organizations. Over all I think FCA has done very well in redesigning a very Iconic vehicle bringing new capability and convenience to a very opinionated group. Still with all this said, 80% of these vehicles bought will most likely never see anything more than wet grass and gravel roads. Mine will see trails as well as be my new daily driver and at some point down the line become less of a daily driver and more of a trail machine.

Sponsored

Matt The Hammer

First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
The rear wiper housing looks pretty good on the rear hatch.

Tie downs on the back of the seats will help when folded flat. The cargo area looks clean - I like it.

Matt The Hammer

First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
Sahara interior.

jeep-wrangler-jl-interior1.jpg
jeep-wrangler-jl-interior2.jpg
jeep-wrangler-jl-interior3.jpg
jeep-wrangler-jl-interior4.jpg
Cupholder observation:

Between the two cup holders - is that slotted so that a phone can fit in easier? If so, genius design. We all stick our phones in the cupholder and it bangs around and is sloppy. But a rectangular opening between the two? Nice. Can fit in there and not get in the way.

Tintop

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Cupholder observation:

Between the two cup holders - is that slotted so that a phone can fit in easier? If so, genius design. We all stick our phones in the cupholder and it bangs around and is sloppy. But a rectangular opening between the two? Nice. Can fit in there and not get in the way.
good observation. that would be an excellent design feature.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Still wonder if the back seats are more reclined than on the JK, if they have any adjustments, and if they are even remotely comfortable. Not that I'll ever sit back there, but the incessant whining gets really nerve racking after a while...
Sponsored