'Capped' Lug Nuts?

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
The last FCA vehicle I had was a Ram Pickup. It had aluminum 'capped' lug nuts. Sort of an aluminum outer housing on the lugs. Are the Jeep JL lug nuts solid steel or are they like other Chrysler vehicles with capped lug nuts?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@TIDALWAVE

While I haven't beat on one to see if the cap will come off, I am 99% sure they are capped.

Curious, why are you asking?

I know with my JK's, I keep spares as the caps can come off when you use an impact gun on the lugnuts.

Last edited:
OP
OP

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
I believe your last statement is self-explanatory.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I believe your last statement is self-explanatory.
@TIDALWAVE

About the impact gun and the caps coming off. Yes, does happen on occasion. The last few years though, I been telling the tire stores, etc., not to use an impact gun on my vehicle. Have never had one tell me no.

I'm good about throwing a $10 tip to Pepi or Manuel the installer, BEFORE he works with my wheels. I hand him a 10 and say to him," please go easy on my ride.... I'm worried about damage and they are mint now."

Funny, the wheels get more careful handling after this. I always make a point to catch up with Pepi before I leave and tell him Thank you, one more time and shake his hand. They remember you the next time you come back......

As for the JL lug nuts. I don't care for the look of them much. And, the Mopar locking lug nut is oversized and fugly looking.

Two days after I got my 2dr. Bright White JL, I went to black all Gorilla, steel, splined lug nuts. They are real nice. The black looks good with the stock Rubi wheel on a white JL.

Sponsored