Two Rubicon Questions... on-road performance and soft top

Four Flusher

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting Gray, auto
I got dual tops, sold the Softy. You mentioned offloading with a soft top, I couldn't image driving in the dirt with top down, rattling around and getting dirty as hell. Sure the soft top goes down fast but you still have to worry about storing the windows and to me the the soft top up and no windows just looks goofy. Currently, loving the freedom tops off.
Sponsored

Jmonday

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Hyundai Genesis track Edition 2013 Ford F550 2011 Ford F150 2016 Harley Davidson Road Glide
Don't forget one of the attributes that come ONLY with the RUBICON !

JIMBO
PICT0251.JPG
What the heck is that I just ordered my Rubicon it's now in Kansas city waiting to be off loaded

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
RUBICON emergency light/flasher/radio/compass/beacon/small storage/thermometer--

Actually doesn't come with the RUBICON-

Whatever

JIMBO

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
Soft top all the way. Forget the hardtop. Everybody I know with a hardtop leaves it on because itā€™s a hassle to take off. Getting dual tops means your garage will be cluttered with bulky large Jeep parts that get used just half the time. If you can live with a soft top half the year itā€™ll be fine the rest of the year.

There a no reason not to go with a Rubicon. You donā€™t need the capability, but it just looks so much better.

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
I think I just love all Jeeps lol. I know I donā€™t want to keep it for the next 4 or 5 years, so now is the time to trade it in to get the most for it...or at least thatā€™s what Iā€™m thinking lol.
Jeeps hold their value, but every month you make a payment is that much more equity minus some minor depreciation. To get an idea what your Jeep will be worth in 4 years, look up Keely Blue Book values for a Jeep like yours thatā€™s 4 years older. Include whatever you think your mileage would be 4 years from now. Then look up your amortization table for your payments and see how much of your Jeep would be paid off by then. I would add 2.8% per year to the price of the new Rubicon to keep up with inflation.

Sponsored

Ruby Jack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Hello!

Iā€™m researching everything about the new JL. Iā€™m on the fence about taking the plunge. I have a 2015 JKU Sahara that I love. Already have 53K, so I must really love it lol.

Iā€™m considering the JL Rubicon and wanted some insight from those that have a Rubi as a daily driver. How does it perform on-road? Iā€™ll mostly use it for the beach and trail riding, but I like the idea of having something capable of tackling the big stuff as well.

Also, if I can get opinions on the soft top? I have a hard top and actually love it. I am in and out of the cargo area a lot and itā€™s just so easy to load and go, but I like the look of the soft top and the ease of being completely topless.

Hope to hear some opinions on both. Thanks!
I have a JLUR and it's night and day different than my old 08 JKU. Of course I had the old 3.8L which had 80 less HP and was very noticeable. It's still not the best on road due to body on frame and solid axles, but it's 100X better than the JKU (at least the one with the 3.8L engine).

I have the Premium softtop and I love it. I'd say it has 2 major downsides over the hardtop. First is sound, the sound of your own Jeep isn't that bad, it's mostly noise from OTHER cars and especially trucks. If some one horns, you hear it as if you were standing outside 10 feet away, so it's loud. The other issue is just inconvenient when it comes to tailgate clearance. With the hardtop you just pull a leaver and it opens, with the soft top you have to force it out of the snap things and roll it up or slide it off and it's a process. Takes 1 second with hardtop and 1 minute with soft top.

With that said, it does have its advantages. I actually like the way it handles rain better. I think it has a better rain gutter system than the hard top. Especially since it's curved at top so the rain doesn't accumulate up there. But the overall BEST part of it is that you can go completely topless in like 3 minutes. Or if you want to put up just the sunrider roof, takes literally 10 seconds and you have a HUGE open sun roof over you and your backseat passengers.

keviper

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler Winter Edition
I owned multiple JKs (Sport, Sahara, Rubicon) and this JL Rubicon is light years ahead of it in almost every way. If you're actually going to use the Rubicon then go ahead and order it...it's your money! As far as soft top v hard top. That's a personal preference. I've had both and enjoy both. I like how easy the new soft top is to take off and put back on. Loading groceries/equipment into a soft top isn't as easy, but I love mine. Wind noise is about the same on the JL v JK.

Ruby Jack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
I owned multiple JKs (Sport, Sahara, Rubicon) and this JL Rubicon is light years ahead of it in almost every way. If you're actually going to use the Rubicon then go ahead and order it...it's your money! As far as soft top v hard top. That's a personal preference. I've had both and enjoy both. I like how easy the new soft top is to take off and put back on. Loading groceries/equipment into a soft top isn't as easy, but I love mine. Wind noise is about the same on the JL v JK.

I don't even bother loading my groceries through my tailgate. I just throw the bags on the rear passenger seats and floor. Guess it's the best part about not having kids.

RDT300

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Thanks everyone for chiming in. Good stuff :)

Iā€™m leaning toward sticking with the hardtop and then perhaps picking up a soft top at a later date.

I park outside and then defrost comes in really handy to clear up the back windows lol.
This is my 6th Wrangler. I have the JLU Rubicon with every option. I got the dual top. You will save at least $1,500 if you get dual top bc that option is $1,000 more. However if you buy the premium soft top later it will cost about $2,500. I normally have hard top on for six months and soft top for other six months. The ease of this new soft top is freaking awesome. So much easier. It is also quieter. The only negative is popping up the rear window and flipping up when loading and unloading. The new JL rides so much smoother then old JK. It is also quicker with the new 8 speed trans. don't even fill it shifting Love this new JL

keviper

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is my 6th Wrangler. I have the JLU Rubicon with every option. I got the dual top. You will save at least $1,500 if you get dual top bc that option is $1,000 more. However if you buy the premium soft top later it will cost about $2,500. I normally have hard top on for six months and soft top for other six months. The ease of this new soft top is freaking awesome. So much easier. It is also quieter. The only negative is popping up the rear window and flipping up when loading and unloading. The new JL rides so much smoother then old JK. It is also quicker with the new 8 speed trans. don't even fill it shifting Love this new JL
I'll second this. If you're heavily considering the hard top and still want a soft top - go the dual top route for sure! Saves you a boat load of money in the long run. You can always add a soft top down the line, Best Top should have theirs available next Spring for probably $1500 or so with hardware...ish. Right now all their tops are going to production Jeeps so they don't have them available for sale directly yet.

Sponsored

keviper

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't even bother loading my groceries through my tailgate. I just throw the bags on the rear passenger seats and floor. Guess it's the best part about not having kids.
Yeah that's what I do as well...when I don't have the kids with me. We have a fully loaded Pacifica with the screens and everything. Kids couldn't care less about that when I'm home with the Jeep. They just want to be in the JL.

sost1sg

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR; 2015 SRT Grand Cherokee
I daily drive my JLUR approx 100 miles a day and look forward to it every morning. Coming from a ā€˜12 JKU sport, I can tell u the JL is much more comfortable and feels better built. I also think the JLUR feels better planted to the road than my sport and the steering feels much tighter despite others who have commented about floating.

My other vehicle is a grand Cherokee SRT and I far more often grab the fob for the JLUR!!

If youā€™ve convinced yourself now is the time to upgrade, get the Rubi! You wonā€™t regret it.

Gregodav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2014, Solstice 2007, 1993 GMC Pick-up
Occupation
I. T. Director and Video Director
The top depends on a number if factors.
My wife never likes to drive with top down: wind, noise, hair, and she hates all the dust from me driving with the top down every chance I get. She like our hard top.
I on the other hand, love the soft top. However, I work a lot of late nights in a meth head inhabited neighborhood.
A soft top offers zero security. If you ever lock your keys in a soft top just start unzipping windows and crawl in. Unfortunately, most of the meth heads just start knifing the soft top. I have replaced two top.
That is why I just ordered the Sky One-Touch Power Top. Quiter than the soft top. Much more secure and one button to raise and lower the top.
I lose a little on the looks when I remove the doors, but the benefits far exceed the drawbacks.

Last edited:

Rollbar

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 2DR JK Rubicon (dozer) 2018 2DR JL Rubicon (granite) (waiting)
I currently drive a 2012 Rubicon (still waiting for my 2018) W/soft top. Loving it every day. However no security as others have said. But smart parking in neighbor hoods help. Only thing I've had stolen, actually an attempt was someone trying to siphon some gas and they failed miserably. I am kinda scared with the new soft top design as thieves don't know them yet, so I could see some of our tops get slit because they cant find the zipper!