Sponsored

LETS SEE PICS OF YOUR WHEELS W/ 3.5” BS!

Justin

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
I’m debating between 4.5” bs and 3.5” bs for a wider stance. Let’s see some photos!
Sponsored

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
I’m debating between 4.5” bs and 3.5” bs for a wider stance. Let’s see some photos!
Is it the BS or offset that determines the stance? I know there are articles on this - and I’ve read them. But then I get mixed up.

I ask only because I had thought it was BS that determined stance, but was then corrected a few weeks ago - and educated that it is the offset that determines stance, not BS.

Now, seeing this post, it would appear that BS determines stance.

Got to love the topic. Hope I don’t totally derail this!

Donkey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Jeep TJ Buggy, 1988 Comanche, 2015 Patriot, 91 Jeep YJ
Is it the BS or offset that determines the stance? I know there are articles on this - and I’ve read them. But then I get mixed up.

I ask only because I had thought it was BS that determined stance, but was then corrected a few weeks ago - and educated that it is the offset that determines stance, not BS.

This always seems to mess with me but from what I've gather it is basically the same thing just calculated a differnt way. Offset is measured normally in mm from the center line of the wheel to wheel mounting flange, where backspacing is measured normally in inch from the back edge of the wheel to the wheel mounting surface.

For example I am looking at the Ultra Walker Evans wheels the offset is +01mm and has a back spacing of 4.79.

Smaller Back Space = Wider stance
Negative Offset = Wider stance

High Backspacing = Narrower stance
Positive Offset = Narrower stance

I played with this site for awhile it really help visualize what would happen with each wheel choice.
https://www.customwheeloffset.com/tire-wheel-backspacing-offset-calculators

Sponsored

me109stock

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 6-Speed Manual; 2008 Ford F450; 2003 Porsche Boxster S
Vehicle Showcase

It's a combination of the two. A 3.5" BS on a 10" wide rim has -51mm Offset and sticks out 1" further than a 9" rim with 3.5" BS and -38 OS. On the other hand, a 10" rim with 4.0" BS and -38 Offset (same offset and more backspace) still sticks out 0.5" more than a 9" rim with 3.5" BS and the same -38mm OS.

A great on-line tool to help figure out how much one wheel will stick out relative to another is through this link:

me109stock

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 6-Speed Manual; 2008 Ford F450; 2003 Porsche Boxster S
Vehicle Showcase
This always seems to mess with me but from what I've gather it is basically the same thing just calculated a differnt way. Offset is measured normally in mm from the center line of the wheel to wheel mounting flange, where backspacing is measured normally in inch from the back edge of the wheel to the wheel mounting surface.

For example I am looking at the Ultra Walker Evans wheels the offset is +01mm and has a back spacing of 4.79.

Smaller Back Space = Wider stance
Negative Offset = Wider stance

High Backspacing = Narrower stance
Positive Offset = Narrower stance

I played with this site for awhile it really help visualize what would happen with each wheel choice.
And wider rim = Wider stance given BS and OS remain the same
Sponsored