DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Well, here it is, and it contains a shocker. Jeep tied...drumroll, please.....Toyota! Better yet, they beat Honda!

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/2018/06/20/jd-power-quality-survey/714617002/

Brand rankings

1. Genesis
2. Kia
3. Hyundai
4. Porsche
5. Ford
6. Chevrolet
7. Lincoln
8. Lexus
8. Ram
10. Nissan
11. BMW
12. Cadillac
12. MINI
14. Infiniti
14. Mercedes-Benz
16. Buick
17. Jeep
17. Toyota
19. Dodge
20. Acura
20. GMC
22. Mazda
23. Honda
24. Volkswagen
25. Audi
26. Chrysler
26. Mitsubishi
28. Subaru
29. Volvo
30. Jaguar
31. Land Rover

Source: J.D. Power 2018 Initial Quality Study
Things are not always as they seem from internet experts and trolls.

I can tell you this. My JL's fit/finish/quality is as good as any vehicle I've owned, and that includes Mercedes, Toyota, Ford, Chevys, Jeeps, and so on. Anyway, I don't count the Mopar lift spring bow as a quality issue for the JL because it was an accessory added afterward, and did not come on the Jeep from the factory. Anyway, I'm closing in on 5700 miles and the thing has been flawless, so far. Pretty remarkable for an early production first year machine.
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Congratulations on your JL being flawless . However , this article does not show quality of JL . It says nothing about JL .

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Congratulations on your JL being flawless . However , this article does not show quality of JL . It says nothing about JL .
I never said that. It said Jeep. I just used it as an example of what Jeep can do. However, last I checked, the JL was a significant percentage of Jeep production. It was probably second only to the Grand Cherokee. It most certainly is a factor. Only JD Powers knows if it helped pull Jeep up or pulled them down. I know if I'd have received the survey, I would have reported zero problems.

northernILJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
I have to ask...do you have a JL? It seems like you put it down in almost every comment you make.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
I never said that. It said Jeep. I just used it as an example of what Jeep can do. However, last I checked, the JL was a significant percentage of Jeep production. It was probably second only to the Grand Cherokee. It most certainly is a factor. Only JD Powers knows if it helped pull Jeep up or pulled them down. I know if I'd have received the survey, I would have reported zero problems.
Thank you for explaining . I read through the entire article hoping for a report on JL survey .

Sponsored

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
I have to ask...do you have a JL? It seems like you put it down in almost every comment you make.
No , I have a JK . I have no money to buy a JL . I actually told the OP : "Congratulations on your JL being flawless" (meaning having no flaws). I am sorry you misunderstood me . I apologize .

Reactions: TMP

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
The article states the survey was conducted between February and May after 90 days of ownership so most likely missed most or all JLU owners.

“...purchasers and lessees of new 2018 vehicles after 90 days of ownership conducted from February to May of this year, according to the release.”

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The article states the survey was conducted between February and May after 90 days of ownership so most likely missed most or all JLU owners.

“...purchasers and lessees of new 2018 vehicles after 90 days of ownership conducted from February to May of this year, according to the release.”
I would have had my JL for 90 days well within that window. I'd agree that the majority of Wranglers involved would have been JK's, but there were some JL's out there in the hands of customers as early as December. Mine was delivered at the end of January.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link

Sponsored

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
JD Powers is a paid endorsement. There is no actual data supporting their order of vehicle quality.
I don't see anything in that article that says they can buy their way to the top, but rather that they have to pay to use it in advertising. That doesn't compromise the data. I think this paragraph infers that the data is valued by the industry.

"What do companies get out of paying J.D. Power good money? A lot of things, but the main thing they get is access to the company’s market research, some of which you can check out on J.D. Power’s website, but the bulk of which you can’t. Dave Sargent, the company’s vice president of global automotive, said that the company has a track record at this point, and that automakers buy into it because, Sargent says, the research has turned out to be accurate."

I saw several times where the article spoke of the accuracy of the data produced by JD Powers.

I don't see where it says a company can buy their way to the top, but only that they can pay to use JD Powers' name in their advertising. That isn't the same as buying position. There are federal laws against that kind of fraud. If your car company finished 23rd, and you had any evidence that someone could buy their way to the top, you'd be having a meeting with the Federal Trade Commission and other agencies who would be very interested in that. As quick as car companies are to exploit and cherry pick data, they are also quick to defend their reputation, and are willing to spend great amounts of money and legal effort to do so.

The more I read it, the more it appears to communicate the legitimacy of the data, rather than discrediting it. I'd advise reading it again.

Last edited:

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
I saw several times where the article spoke of the accuracy of the data produced by JD Powers.
Maybe this forum ought to do it's own survey . For example , go to Issues and Repairs , and add up all the different issues and repairs ? List them , and then give the quantity of each . For example . I have seen only 1 "Track Bar Sheared Off at the Weld" .

Last edited:
OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
JD Powers is a paid endorsement. There is no actual data supporting their order of vehicle quality.
I see no evidence of that, especially in the article posted by @Jeep noob . In fact, it says quite the opposite.

Please show me a source on this. All evidence points to there not only being data, but that it is accurate and highly coveted by the industry. They pay for access to it. They do not pay for an endorsement. How would JD Power stay in business if they did it any other way? I can't find anything that discredits them.

They also do their market research in a wide variety of industries, not just automotive. I see nothing in other industries that compromises them, either.

BlackRook

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Occupation
SCIENCE!
Maybe this forum ought to do it's own survey . For example , go to Issues and Repairs , and add up all the different issues and repairs ?
Hmm... sounds scientifically valid to me!

You're being silly again, and you know it. Go to ANY forum and you'll find page after page of issues. Go check a Genesis forum (#1 on JD Power's list).

And while on the subject of the list...

I see no evidence of that, especially in the article posted by @Jeep noob . In fact, it says quite the opposite.

Please show me a source on this. All evidence points to there not only being data, but that it is accurate and highly coveted by the industry. They pay for access to it. They do not pay for an endorsement. How would JD Power stay in business if they did it any other way? I can't find anything that discredits them.

They also do their market research in a wide variety of industries, not just automotive. I see nothing in other industries that compromises them, either.
JD Power is often misunderstood. Jalopnik's breakdown tells you everything you need to know.

https://jalopnik.com/everything-you-ever-wanted-to-know-about-the-jd-power-a-1818818969

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe this forum ought to do it's own survey . For example , go to Issues and Repairs , and add up all the different issues and repairs ? List them , and then give the quantity of each . For example . I have seen only 1 Track Bar Broke Off at the Weld .
That would be unscientific. There is a certain type of customer or demographic that participates in a forum. Some are driven to a forum because of problems. In other words, many go looking for a forum because they need help with a problem and/or want to research it. The data would be badly skewed. You have to get a random sampling for that.

There might be some good value to it in terms of patterns of specific types of problems, but in terms of sampling to determine the quality or lack thereof of the Wrangler, it wouldn't be valid data for broader conclusions.
Sponsored

Last edited: