How does ESS work on a Manual

Circlep

First Name
DeWayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport 04Chevy 2500HD/ duramax, Yamaha Royal Star Venture
I have a manual and it is not an issue but I do not drive thru a lot of traffic or red lights. If A/C is on or it is in gear with clutch depressed it will not shut the engine off. It shut off on me for the first time this morning, after 600 miles, when I dropped a deposit off at the bank with no A/C and in neutral, started as soon as I engaged the clutch.
Sponsored

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
I have a manual and it is not an issue but I do not drive thru a lot of traffic or red lights. If A/C is on or it is in gear with clutch depressed it will not shut the engine off. It shut off on me for the first time this morning, after 600 miles, when I dropped a deposit off at the bank with no A/C and in neutral, started as soon as I engaged the clutch.
Now, THAT is some useful information! I'm in the Houston area and air-conditioning is probably used 11 months out of the year.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Mine won't shut off if the AC is on max, which is good.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Mine won't shut off if the AC is on max, which is good.
Is that with a manual or automatic? Does it shut off if the AC is on a lower setting though?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Is that with a manual or automatic? Does it shut off if the AC is on a lower setting though?
Manual. It is only on Max. On lower settings, though, it won't stay off for long. It will restart before I depress the clutch, if at a long light, if on a lower setting.

Sponsored

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Manual. It is only on Max. On lower settings, though, it won't stay off for long. It will restart before I depress the clutch, if at a long light, if on a lower setting.
Hmmm... That's interesting... I wonder if it is monitoring the temperature in the vehicle and trying to keep it within an acceptable range. That might be useful if you were on a long road trip and had to sleep in your vehicle because there were no hotels around when you got to the point where you couldn't drive anymore. I've had that happen a few times over the years since I prefer to drive until I'm tired and then find a hotel. Sometimes, you end up in some place so remote that there is not even a single mercury vapor light from a farm house within sight -- basically the middle of nowhere. The next town might only be an hour away, but you don't think you can make it and you just need a little sleep. Having to sleep in a hot car sucks...

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
there is a set of conditions the jeep needs to have for the ESS to kick in, as far as i know:

• HVAC system needs to be near its set point and AC is not set to MAX
  • the engine needs to be up to temp, you need to be at a full stop and with a manual neutral and clutch out
  • if you start coasting down hill it starts up once you hit 5 mph
  • battery must have sufficient charge in them
  • sitting more than (i think) 5 minutes with the engine off the ess will turn it back on
  • you need to drive more than 5 mph for the system to reengage after prior ess stop

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
there is a set of conditions the jeep needs to have for the ESS to kick in, as far as i know:

• the engine needs to be up to temp, you need to be at a full stop and with a manual neutral and clutch out
  • sitting more than (i think) 5 minutes with the engine off the ess will turn it back on
  • you need to drive more than 5 mph for the system to reengage after prior ess stop

I had an F30 6MT 3-series with ESS, and this is exactly how it worked. I think every automaker uses the same ESS software from Bosch or similar. The BMW was buttery smooth on restart though, and on my JLUR 6MT test drive, restart was more like an old diesel tractor than the BMW. Not that I expect any Wrangler to have BMW-level NVH, but it's possible that BSG on the 2019 models will smooth out the restart NVH.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Oh well, so much for the idea of it restarting periodically to keep the vehicle cool.

Now, on a side note... Does the JL have a steering wheel lock these days? Since there is no key that goes into the steering column, I suspect that they had to change that a bit if it is still even implemented.

Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
From what I've gathered, it works differently with a manual transmission, so it might not be as much of an issue for me. If I do find it an issue, I suspect that I can create a unit that will get rid of the annoyance with an Arduino micro-controller and a relay for $5-6.

Here's a solution that I've thought of and I think it should work (assuming I am correct in my assumptions of how the ESS works):

https://sites.google.com/site/navyvet1959/miscellaneous/wrangler-jl-electronic-start-stop

Also, instead of being called "electronic start stop", is should have been called "auto start stop", that way we could use the acronym ASS instead of ESS. That would make it fun on the various forums that have net-nanny filters that censor certain words. :)

And considering how some people seem to really hate this system, "ASS" would be more appropriate.

And then we could say that "Jeep ASS really stinks". So much better than saying "Jeep ESS really stinks".
I have a manual. It’s annoying.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
This is against the law pretty much everywhere.
Not that I really care whether it is legal or not since it would be pretty difficult for a LEO to prove you were doing it, but in Texas, that only applies to downgrades. If you are in a truck, tractor, or bus, you cannot coast on a downgrade with even the clutch disengaged. And around here, the only downgrades are the short sections on highway after an overpass of a minor street.

Obviously, the *intent* of the law is to prevent a runaway vehicle that is increasing speed. If your vehicle decreases speed even while going downhill because of aerodynamic drag, then it alleviates the concern of the runaway vehicle. We're talking about vehicles that have the aerodynamics of a *brick*. You would need a noticeable decline if you were already going 75 mph and you expected the speed to increase when you put it in neutral.

Springtail

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1977 FJ40, (RestoMod), 2018 Camaro SS Convertible, 2020 Tesla Model Y Performance
Occupation
Co-Owner Springtail LLC
I thought that it would be annoying but the reality is that I never shift to neutral at red lights so its not even an issue.

Doc

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I thought that it would be annoying but the reality is that I never shift to neutral at red lights so its not even an issue.

Doc
They have red lights in corn fields? :)

Ruby Jack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Meh, I like this feature on my m/t. I can easily control it by keeping clutch depressed or not. If I see light just turned red, I'll leave it in neutral and let engine turn off. If I know it's going to turn green soon, I just keep clutch depressed and it never turns off. Took me a few days to get used to this, but now I don't even think about it.
Sponsored