No 4:10 in Diesel Rubicon?

kogar

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR EcoDiesel
First, you can bat me over the head for reading an old Jalopnik article later (https://jalopnik.com/apparently-leaked-documents-lay-out-new-jeep-wrangler-t-1819148952), but I couldn't help notice that the 4.1 gear ratio is NOT an option for the 3.0 diesel, but instead will offer a 3.73.

Anybody know if this is true, or if I'm just misreading the chart layout? It's an old article, so perhaps things have changed. However, based on the torque I know that can come out of that diesel, I'm wondering if 4.1 would just wreck the axle if pushed.
Sponsored

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
First, you can bat me over the head for reading an old Jalopnik article later (https://jalopnik.com/apparently-leaked-documents-lay-out-new-jeep-wrangler-t-1819148952), but I couldn't help notice that the 4.1 gear ratio is NOT an option for the 3.0 diesel, but instead will offer a 3.73.

Anybody know if this is true, or if I'm just misreading the chart layout? It's an old article, so perhaps things have changed. However, based on the torque I know that can come out of that diesel, I'm wondering if 4.1 would just wreck the axle if pushed.
With diesels you just don’t need that much gearing, not to mention that diesels don’t like RPM’s.

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
But bigger tires might require taller gears than 3.73 or whatever comes equipped?

SamIam

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018JLUR in Mojito!, 2019 Ram Rebel, 2019 Honda Accord
Occupation
Retired Navy
The new one has 4:10. If you go above 37" tires, I think you might have to re-gear. My son put 40" on his 2014 wrangler and it turned into a gas guzzler. Even after the jeep got 5:30 or something, gas mileage was atrocious.

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My son put 40" on his 2014 wrangler and it turned into a gas guzzler.
That's kinda a duh sort statement when you think about it. Any vehicle trying to turn 125-145lbs of rim and tire at each corner is going to require a lot of power to get the vehicle moving and keep it moving.

Sponsored

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
That's kinda a duh sort statement when you think about it. Any vehicle trying to turn 125-145lbs of rim and tire at each corner is going to require a lot of power to get the vehicle moving and keep it moving.
I had asked on another thread if diesels are more efficient with unsprung weight as they are when towing. You’d think the hit on mpg with a diesel would be less than on gas.

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
But bigger tires might require taller gears than 3.73 or whatever comes equipped?

What it may potentially need after throwing bigger tires on it versus what it will require out of box in stock form are two totally different things. I wouldn't be too surprised if diesel Rubicons come with a lower ratio due to it's 4:1 transfer case.

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
Yeah wouldn’t you still want a higher crawl ratio? Thought that wasn’t engine dependent. Rock-Trac 4:1 plus gear ratio.

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah wouldn’t you still want a higher crawl ratio? Thought that wasn’t engine dependent. Rock-Trac 4:1 plus gear ratio.
The way I look at, whether it's right or wrong, is the diesel is probably going to have around 400+ ft lbs or torque. Now factor in the torque multiplier to the power of 4 with the Rubicon's 4:1 transfer case and you're now putting over 1200+ ft lbs of torque to the wheels which to me is a lot of stress and strain on the entire drive line. If they overbuilt the drive train to handle it, great. If they didn't, I guess we'll learn about the issues once the 3.0 goes into production.

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
The way I look at, whether it's right or wrong, is the diesel is probably going to have around 400+ ft lbs or torque. Now factor in the torque multiplier to the power of 4 with the Rubicon's 4:1 transfer case and you're now putting over 1200+ ft lbs of torque to the wheels which to me is a lot of stress and strain on the entire drive line. If they overbuilt the drive train to handle it, great. If they didn't, I guess we'll learn about the issues once the 3.0 goes into production.
I have a thread on that, as well. Begs for Dana 60s. At least in the rear. Hopefully FF. Waste if they go semi. The front might need to be at minimum like the current Rubi D44 rear. Me thinks. Me hopes. Me be very happy. :)

Sponsored

SamIam

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018JLUR in Mojito!, 2019 Ram Rebel, 2019 Honda Accord
Occupation
Retired Navy
Ay caramba!!! We all hope for that 3.0 to come out of FCA'S womb. I don't want to crawl up walls with mine, just want to enjoy it, go off road, Moab, Yellowstone, Daytona beach, Key West... We have the greatest country in the whole wide world. And we will, God willing, take advantage of it in the best vehicle on the face of the planet. Diesel, gas, turbo, it does not matter. Only in a Jeep

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
I don’t know a lot about diesels - just learning. My hope would be that Jeep would identify that those interested in the diesel will likely also be interested in things like bigger tires and this more aggressive gearing. Really hoping we don’t lose the ability to efficiently drive larger tires, like 37s.
Sponsored