Sponsored

Dealer Messed Up Order. Is limited anti-slip differential important?

JJexp

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Raptor, 68 Y body coupe.
Occupation
G650 driver
As said by literally everyone else. Get the lsd. You’ll be glad you did the further you get into jeep ownership and modification.
One of my clubs requirmenrs is no D35. Lol I know it’s a different axle but Jeep failed at giving this new one the same name

Also, all new advantek 44’s (220mm) are 32 spline. Rubicon or not.
Your club sounds like it sucks.
Sponsored

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
As said by literally everyone else. Get the lsd. You’ll be glad you did the further you get into jeep ownership and modification.
One of my clubs requirmenrs is no D35. Lol I know it’s a different axle but Jeep failed at giving this new one the same name

Also, all new advantek 44’s (220mm) are 32 spline. Rubicon or not.
Your club sounds like it sucks.
Well, they’ve had enough experience with the dana 35..it’s a pretty shitty axle. Anyways it’s not a minimum vehicle requirement but is an added requirement by most who lead runs. I should have mentioned that. Mainly for runs like fordyce/ Rubicon.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
Yup, and with a manual it can be down right dangerous on icy highways. Let off the gas suddenly without depressing the clutch and insta-spin into the ditch. That might not be an issue anymore with modern stability control.
I can remember an pretty good ice storm up in Dallas around 30 years ago where there were RWD and 4WD vehicles just abandoned in the middle of the freeway pointed in all different directions. I was in a small FWD and it just kept chugging along. In a lot of cases, FWD is better than 4WD on ice. If your tires start to spin, you just sit in one place and the tires spin -- no excitement. With a RWD, the end will start to come around. For a long time, I've wished that 4WD manufacturers would allow you to select whether you wanted 2WD front or rear.

cohocarl

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Honda Passport, '18 Crosstrek, '16 Cherokee
An LSD is essential for burnouts, doughnuts, and if you are entering a drifting competition, an LSD is a must.
Seriously, I know it would suck, but I'd have it re-ordered. From over 40 years of driving here in Michigan, the LSD was a must have option.
If I lived down south with no snow, and never intended to take it off road, then I may save the $600 and not get it.

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
I can remember an pretty good ice storm up in Dallas around 30 years ago where there were RWD and 4WD vehicles just abandoned in the middle of the freeway pointed in all different directions. I was in a small FWD and it just kept chugging along. In a lot of cases, FWD is better than 4WD on ice. If your tires start to spin, you just sit in one place and the tires spin -- no excitement. With a RWD, the end will start to come around. For a long time, I've wished that 4WD manufacturers would allow you to select whether you wanted 2WD front or rear.
There's also an old saying that most off-roaders, even occasional off-roaders, know well, and that newbies soon learn the hard way: Sometimes you four-wheel in and you walk out.

Sponsored

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
There's also an old saying that most off-roaders, even occasional off-roaders, know well, and that newbies soon learn the hard way: Sometimes you four-wheel in and you walk out.
Yeah, I've had to hike back to the barn to get the tractor a couple of times to get myself unstuck.

"Awh, 'ell, it hasn't rained in awhile, I can get through there ........ Damn .... (start hiking)"

And if there is no one else around to help, that means you need to hike back to get the tractor after driving back to the house.

cabnfvr

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUL Sport
Occupation
Retired but working with benefits.
As already mentioned every Rubicon out there is running open diffs most of the time so the real question might be, how often are you in low range? We've been lots of places over the years we shouldn't have been (vehicle wise) and only had limited slip on one of those vehicles. It definitely helps but in ice or mud it can cause sideslip as mentioned in a post above. LSD can be added to your M200 axle if you really want it but BLD also works amazingly well.

Self preservation comment ---- Rubi owners, yes electric lockers are better !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :jk:

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
For what you pay for a Jeep- I would cancel and reorder. I somehow got my LSD/44 without all weather tires, so for me it was well worth it. Much more expensive to add it later...

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I live in the Houston area, so I have to wonder why they would even ship a vehicle here with all *season* tires. We have basically 2 seasons... Summer (11 months) and then Not-exactly-summer-but-keep-the-air-conditioner-on. The main thing is whether it is Hot&Humid or Hot&Wet...

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Well, let's clear up a few things.

First of all, the JL Dana 35 is NOT the same Dana 35 in prior Jeeps. Everything is beefier, and in all my years wheeling my old Jeeps I never broke a D35 so I'm sure this new D35 is plenty strong enough. Would the D44 upgrade be sweet? YES. But I wouldn't lose any sleep over the D35 being in my Jeep. In fact, the 35 saves weight and gives you a touch more ground clearance.

Secondly, LSD sucks. It requires additives any time you change the fluid. The wrong amount results in chatter going around turns. The clutches inside will wear out, usually by the end of warranty period. On snowy or icy roads it's a death trap, always trying to kick your rear end sideways. On the trail it doesn't work nearly as good as a locker, and on the road it sucks, so you basically get the worst of both worlds.

Lastly, the BLD works GREAT, is actually functional at both ends of the Jeep unlike LSD, and it's free. It's standard on every JL. It will never wear out or fail. Brake pads are easy to replace and the added wear to them is very minimal anyhow. It can be shut off if you're in icy or snowy conditions and need to drive forward carefully. On the trail it is awesome too...I've gotten two wheels off the ground and still could pull forward at will. It's the next best thing to the Rubicon.

If I had ordered and paid for the option of LSD with the D44 then I would want what I ordered. However, if it was just impossible to get, then I'd be perfectly happy with the D35 and I'd get the dealership to throw in $595 worth of accessories to make it fair.

Sponsored

MacBigButt

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Leaf, 2018 JL Unlimited Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I've had to hike back to the barn to get the tractor a couple of times to get myself unstuck.

"Awh, 'ell, it hasn't rained in awhile, I can get through there ........ Damn .... (start hiking)"

And if there is no one else around to help, that means you need to hike back to get the tractor after driving back to the house.
One epic wet fall on our farm up by Grande Prairie, Alberta, I got the combine stuck, then the grain truck trying to pull the combine, then the 2-wheel drive tractor trying to pull the grain truck out. Finally had to call the John Deer dealer and borrow a 4-wheel drive tractor to pull everything out.

When up in the bush if you were lucky you might be only a few hours hike from an oil drilling site or logging camp. Usually a couple bottles would get skidder driver to pull you out, but when up higher in the mountains it was come-a-long time. None of us had winches. Shovels, chain saws and come-a-longs were the recovery gear.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
One epic wet fall on our farm up by Grande Prairie, Alberta, I got the combine stuck, then the grain truck trying to pull the combine, then the 2-wheel drive tractor trying to pull the grain truck out. Finally had to call the John Deer dealer and borrow a 4-wheel drive tractor to pull everything out.
For the most part, a tracked excavator is pretty difficult to get stuck, but it *is* possible... When you see them operating in the swamps, they have really large high flotation tracks to help.

This guy looks like he probably could have used those high flotation tracks:

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Well, let's clear up a few things.

First of all, the JL Dana 35 is NOT the same Dana 35 in prior Jeeps. Everything is beefier, and in all my years wheeling my old Jeeps I never broke a D35 so I'm sure this new D35 is plenty strong enough. Would the D44 upgrade be sweet? YES. But I wouldn't lose any sleep over the D35 being in my Jeep. In fact, the 35 saves weight and gives you a touch more ground clearance.

Secondly, LSD sucks. It requires additives any time you change the fluid. The wrong amount results in chatter going around turns. The clutches inside will wear out, usually by the end of warranty period. On snowy or icy roads it's a death trap, always trying to kick your rear end sideways. On the trail it doesn't work nearly as good as a locker, and on the road it sucks, so you basically get the worst of both worlds.

Lastly, the BLD works GREAT, is actually functional at both ends of the Jeep unlike LSD, and it's free. It's standard on every JL. It will never wear out or fail. Brake pads are easy to replace and the added wear to them is very minimal anyhow. It can be shut off if you're in icy or snowy conditions and need to drive forward carefully. On the trail it is awesome too...I've gotten two wheels off the ground and still could pull forward at will. It's the next best thing to the Rubicon.

If I had ordered and paid for the option of LSD with the D44 then I would want what I ordered. However, if it was just impossible to get, then I'd be perfectly happy with the D35 and I'd get the dealership to throw in $595 worth of accessories to make it fair.

Now you have me second guessing if I want the LSD option. I mainly want it for the M220 gears and D44 axle and A/T tires. I was really never concerned about the open diff.

raskal406

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Rubicon JK
Agree.. I'd either make them fix it OR cancel and reorder... If you have to cancel and reorder then the dealer needs to throw in a perk or two for the trouble..
Have them look around the country. It's pretty rare your Jeep doesn't exist already. Have them get it to you for the same price.

PatrickKiser

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Butt Scratcher
I definitely would cancel and reorder and probably from a different dealer. No excuse for such a f***up. You are paying good money for the Jeep and should get every option you want.
Sponsored