NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
What i did was walk my dealers lot, found a Sahara with cold weather group, and trailer package (with aux switches) and brought the vin to parts dept, looked up the replacement 8.4 radio, it’s 1495, plus 500 to unlock nav. 3-4 weeks out and I’ll have nav in my sport with an 8.4 inch screen
That's a pretty high price just to get a GPS. I have a spare 7" Android phone, so I think I'll just use it without the SIM card in it. I can download all the Google Maps to it that I will need. I had to get a smaller cell phone because the 7" one would just barely fit the chest pocket on my vest and it didn't support LTE anyway.
Sponsored

BleedBlue2k16

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU sport S
That's a pretty high price just to get a GPS. I have a spare 7" Android phone, so I think I'll just use it without the SIM card in it. I can download all the Google Maps to it that I will need. I had to get a smaller cell phone because the 7" one would just barely fit the chest pocket on my vest and it didn't support LTE anyway.
It is pricy. But the 8.4 option on Sahara or rubicon is 1495 anyway. So I pretty much have a Sahara with black fenders and saved 4-5k

DesertDuck

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2̶0̶1̶8̶ ̶J̶e̶e̶p̶ ̶W̶r̶a̶n̶g̶l̶e̶r̶ ̶U̶n̶l̶i̶m̶i̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶R̶u̶b̶i̶c̶o̶n̶ 2020 Toyota Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
It is pricy. But the 8.4 option on Sahara or rubicon is 1495 anyway. So I pretty much have a Sahara with black fenders and saved 4-5k
Hmm, I will have to think about whether its worth the cost on my end as I already spent 1295 on the Alpine® Premium Audio System. I believe the 1495 cost is for all of the options below in the infotainment group, which includes the Alpine® Premium Audio System. If I went this route I'd be paying 1295 + 1495 + any add'l costs in the end.

Electronic Infotainment System Group:
-8.4-Inch Touchscreen Display
-Alpine® Premium Audio System
-GPS Navigation
-HD Radio®
-Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror
-Roadside Assistance and 9-1-1 Call
-1-Year SiriusXM® Guardian Service
-SiriusXM® Traffic Plus
-5-Year SiriusXM® Traffic Service
-SiriusXM® Travel Link 5-Year Travel Link Sub
-5-Year SiriusXM® Travel Link Service
-Uconnect® 4C NAV with 8.4-Inch Display

BleedBlue2k16

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU sport S
Hmm, I will have to think about whether its worth the cost on my end as I already spent 1295 on the Alpine® Premium Audio System. I believe the 1495 cost is for all of the options below in the infotainment group, which includes the Alpine® Premium Audio System. If I went this route I'd be paying 1295 + 1495 + any add'l costs in the end.

Electronic Infotainment System Group:
-8.4-Inch Touchscreen Display
-Alpine® Premium Audio System
-GPS Navigation
-HD Radio®
-Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror
-Roadside Assistance and 9-1-1 Call
-1-Year SiriusXM® Guardian Service
-SiriusXM® Traffic Plus
-5-Year SiriusXM® Traffic Service
-SiriusXM® Travel Link 5-Year Travel Link Sub
-5-Year SiriusXM® Travel Link Service
-Uconnect® 4C NAV with 8.4-Inch Display
That’s where we differ a little bit. I did not get the alpine group on my JL. So the savings are more on my end, with lower quality audio of course.

DesertDuck

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2̶0̶1̶8̶ ̶J̶e̶e̶p̶ ̶W̶r̶a̶n̶g̶l̶e̶r̶ ̶U̶n̶l̶i̶m̶i̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶R̶u̶b̶i̶c̶o̶n̶ 2020 Toyota Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
That’s where we differ a little bit. I did not get the alpine group on my JL. So the savings are more on my end, with lower quality audio of course.
Yeah, definitely better savings for you. Will have to see what I can sell my 7" screen for and then figure out from there if it's worth the switch. Let me know how the switch goes for you when you get your new system!

Sponsored

SachM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubi Jl
Going from 5” to 7”, there are threads saying volume knob does not work.
I have 7” and planning to go 8.4”. Is there anything that does not work, maybe volume knob or something else?

RocketScientist

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford F150
Vehicle Showcase
Going from 5” to 7”, there are threads saying volume knob does not work.
I have 7” and planning to go 8.4”. Is there anything that does not work, maybe volume knob or something else?
I had a 7" in my Sahara. Went to 8.4". Plug and play. 5 minute job. All knobs, buttons and controls work as they should. Directions (when Navigating) show up in cluster, as they should.

SiriusXM will work. You will need to restart vehicle, after installing, a second time for it to recognize SiriusXM. You'll need to figure out what the status of the service is from Sirius. If it is a new or recent take-out, it should have the remainder of 1 yr free Sirius radio, and 5 years of TravelLink. The one I got was actually 2 weeks newer than my vehicle (or rather was activated 2 weeks after mine). So I have the full 1/5 yrs of Sirius. I was able to add the radio to my account on Sirius without calling them.

I had the option of choosing a Jeep icon in the Nav menu - although it was a 2 door JK.... Don't know if their are JL icons included in an update, or if there is another way to get them, similar to how you can load custom icons on a Garmin unit...

What will NOT work:

***UPDATED****

-There is no GSM antenna as far as I can tell. There may be a FAKRA connector burried in the dash. I could not find. This is the extra connector you will have on the back of the 8.4. Without this antenna connection, internal, RADIO-PROVIDED 4G will be spotty. I was, however, able to get hotspot enabled AND connect to it. I turned off cell data on my phone and was able to connect to the internet via the uconnect 4G. This is probably working because the ATT service is free for six months or 3GB data, whichever comes first.

HOWEVER, anything to do with uConnect/SiriusXM Guardian app won’t work. You won't get vehicle health reports. Why? UConnect WILL not allow vehicle to be registered because VIN did not originally come with this service. Not a big deal for me.

-Updates - this is going to a be a problem. Someone will hopefully have a work-around

-Autodim mirror - if you did not buy the infotainment option, you did not get the Autodim mirror, so that functionality (turn on/off I believe, only) from the radio, obviously won't be there. You can order the auto dim mirror now, but the harness is currently not in the parts system. Benny from AllMoparParts sent me the correct part numbers.

-AUX switches - if you install these yourself after the you swap the radios, dealer may not flash radio for you to allow you to control these. Maybe the dealer will do this. Maybe not. Somebody else might be able to answer thatYour only option would be to buy a Tazer JL to do this yourself. I have a Tazer JL coming to do this myself. If you install the AUX switches before swapping the radio, and have the vehicle flashed, I'm not sure this will carry forward to the 8.4". Logic would tell me "no"....

-Warranty - if something should go wrong with the radio, it obviously won't be covered. That didn't stop me.

That being said, I love the 8.4 for all that I can do. I had a 2017 Outback Limited 3.6R with Navigation. I liked my Subaru, but let's just say Subaru controls - including Nav - are "fidgety"....

Last edited:

fonzie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL, & Gladiator
I just did this too and agree with RocketScientist on all except, I called UConnect and am trying to get the uConnect/SiriusXM Guardian stuff working. I will reply if and when this happens. You do need the 8.4 bezel as well.

jebjkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I just did this too and agree with RocketScientist on all except, I called UConnect and am trying to get the uConnect/SiriusXM Guardian stuff working. I will reply if and when this happens. You do need the 8.4 bezel as well.
You will need to add the second antenna for this. You only get this antenna if your Jeep came with the 8.4" screen, Sahara's and Rubicon's with the 7" screen don't come with the extra antenna any more than a Sport or Sport S with the 7" or 5" screens do.

The extra antenna sits on top of the roll bar next to the XM/GPS receiver. If you look at topless Jeep JL's, you will see some with one black box and some with two black boxes [one small and one large] on the top of the center roll bar. The second larger black box is the antenna that does the Guardian stuff.

fonzie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL, & Gladiator
Thanks for the info. Any idea on part number?

Sponsored

Goheels050917

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU (SOLD - March 2021)
Occupation
SD-WAN Engineer - Technical Author

Seanmadigan

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep jl wrangler unlimited s
You will need to add the second antenna for this. You only get this antenna if your Jeep came with the 8.4" screen, Sahara's and Rubicon's with the 7" screen don't come with the extra antenna any more than a Sport or Sport S with the 7" or 5" screens do.

The extra antenna sits on top of the roll bar next to the XM/GPS receiver. If you look at topless Jeep JL's, you will see some with one black box and some with two black boxes [one small and one large] on the top of the center roll bar. The second larger black box is the antenna that does the Guardian stuff.
I bought the antenna, so is there a connector on top of the rollbar under the roof? Or is that just where it normaly is located and i will have to run my own wire???
Sponsored