Mopar Reinforcement Kit Vs New tire carrier

Peanut Butter

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL?
I'm going to install 37's with the stock wheels... At least to start.

I purchased my Rubicon with plastic bumpers and without the tow package. Pre-purchase, I expected to get different bumpers and be able to install a hitch and harness for a fraction of the price of the tow package and metal bumper kit with winch bracket (I won't install the bigger battery or alternator).

If I go with something like the Roam rear tire carrier I will get a tow hitch, metal bumper and carrier for about the same price as just the Mopar reinforcement kit.

The only advantages that I can think of for the Mopar kit is that I won't have to open the tail gate separate from the tire carrier. And, I think I'll have a better chance of the reinforcement kit not squeaking (the tire carrier on my CJ7 squeaked while off road).

Any thoughts on a tire carrier/bumper vs the Mopar Reinforcement Kit?

Anyone with the reinforcement kit wish they waited on aftermarket tire carriers?
Sponsored

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
I'm going to install 37's with the stock wheels... At least to start.

I purchased my Rubicon with plastic bumpers and without the tow package. Pre-purchase, I expected to get different bumpers and be able to install a hitch and harness for a fraction of the price of the tow package and metal bumper kit with winch bracket (I won't install the bigger battery or alternator).

If I go with something like the Roam rear tire carrier I will get a tow hitch, metal bumper and carrier for about the same price as just the Mopar reinforcement kit.

The only advantages that I can think of for the Mopar kit is that I won't have to open the tail gate separate from the tire carrier. And, I think I'll have a better chance of the reinforcement kit not squeaking (the tire carrier on my CJ7 squeaked while off road).

Anyone with the reinforcement kit wish they waited on aftermarket tire carriers?
Reinforcement kit vs. tire carrier/bumper depends on the weight of the wheel and tire . If heavier , then get the latter . Easy to get the weight of the wheels and tire separately from the company specs , and add them together .

DukeofJeep

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GTI, 2013 JKUR 10th Anniversary Edition, 2004 TJ Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase

Depends if you plan to off-road and what kind if so. One major advantage of an aftermarket tire carrier and bumper is you do get the tire off of the tailgate. If you were to drop off a ledge and come down on your tire and it was attached to the tailgate there is a very good chance you would trash the tailgate. If its on a separate bumper chances are slim, same with backing into anything that your spare could hit.

OP
OP
Peanut Butter

Peanut Butter

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL?
Thanks for the replies.

I'm not as concerned about the weight, as either option would cary the weight I'm looking to run.

Good points about the impact with the tail gate.

Sponsored

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
I have one of these for ledges.....

CF1DAF7F-7BB3-457B-89CE-EB48C244F5AE.jpeg

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
The Mopar Tailgate Reinforcement kit is a pointless product that merely serves as a cash grab, IMO. The JL tailgate's magnesium construction is much stronger than the JK and the fact they've got an optional drop down table accessory for the inside means they're pretty confident it can handle some additional weight. The big downside to this kit is that it doesn't move the weight onto the tub like the Teraflex's hinged carrier does. The weak points of the JK's tailgate were both the hinges and the gate itself. With the JL, it'll mainly be the hinges.

Now, can you slap some 40's on it and call it a day? Of course not. But the key to preventing the gate from folding has always been the bump stops. And no matter how many YouTube videos and posts on dozens of Jeep forums drive that point into the ground, there are still people out there who do not do this and are uttery shocked as to why their tailgate suddenly collapsed. Yes, the hinges are eventually going to succumb to a heavy oversized tire and whatever else you've got strapped onto the back of your Jeep, but making sure that tire is firmly secured from swaying side to side with extended bump stops will be just as effective as this kit, but save you about $600.

There are tons of videos out there of folks climbing mountains in their JLs with a heavy 37 tire on a heavy beadlock rim attached to a heavy relocation bracket on the gate and it seems to be holding up just fine. It's not invincible, but it certainly deserves more credit than what JPP gives it.

Monarch490

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep wrangler JLUS
The Mopar Tailgate Reinforcement kit is a pointless product that merely serves as a cash grab, IMO. The JL tailgate's magnesium construction is much stronger than the JK and the fact they've got an optional drop down table accessory for the inside means they're pretty confident it can handle some additional weight. The big downside to this kit is that it doesn't move the weight onto the tub like the Teraflex's hinged carrier does. The weak points of the JK's tailgate were both the hinges and the gate itself. With the JL, it'll mainly be the hinges.

Now, can you slap some 40's on it and call it a day? Of course not. But the key to preventing the gate from folding has always been the bump stops. And no matter how many YouTube videos and posts on dozens of Jeep forums drive that point into the ground, there are still people out there who do not do this and are uttery shocked as to why their tailgate suddenly collapsed. Yes, the hinges are eventually going to succumb to a heavy oversized tire and whatever else you've got strapped onto the back of your Jeep, but making sure that tire is firmly secured from swaying side to side with extended bump stops will be just as effective as this kit, but save you about $600.

There are tons of videos out there of folks climbing mountains in their JLs with a heavy 37 tire on a heavy beadlock rim attached to a heavy relocation bracket on the gate and it seems to be holding up just fine. It's not invincible, but it certainly deserves more credit than what JPP gives it.
I think your wrong, they won’t hold up for long. I have a 35” tire on mine and on bumps make taill gate twists and makes a racket. I feel that it will probably break if I do t get it reinforced soon. So watching videos and being in the Jeep is totally different.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I have a 37 mounted on a ATX Slab beadlock. A heavy tire and wheel combo. It is on the rear tailgate with hokey pucks used to extend the bump stops. It is doing fine.

I will be putting on the Roam Offroad rear bumper when it becomes available.

Sponsored

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I think your wrong, they won’t hold up for long. I have a 35” tire on mine and on bumps make taill gate twists and makes a racket. I feel that it will probably break if I do t get it reinforced soon. So watching videos and being in the Jeep is totally different.
I've taken my Jeep with my 35" spare, mounted to the RC bracket, on more than two dozen wheeling trips across six states and in Canada and have not had any issues with rattling or noises. It's fine.

efitzger

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I definitely would not be comfortable going above a 35" tire (lighter model tire such as KO2) on the stock tailgate, even with the mopar reinforcement...even for daily driving. My 33" stock Rubi wheel on the stock gate is the biggest combo I'm comfortable with on my currently stock JLU tailgate. I'll be installing the LOD Destroyer Tire Carrier/Bumper for the 37's going on this month.

The factory hinges themselves are not reinforced unless you step up to somthing like EVO tailgate. The MOPAR reinforcement seems underbuilt IMO. Any offroad action/ dropping off a ledge where you hang up on the tire mounted to the stock tailgate (even with the MOPAR reinforcement) and you'll find the weakest link very quickly (either sheet metal or hinges will give). I'd also run a hitch-mounted stinger if I had ANY tire on the stock tailgate while playing in the rocks.

If you're keeping it stock and playing the rocks, throw the spare in the back or get a hitch-mounted stinger. If you're getting to 35 or bigger tire out back, get a full reinforcement (such as EVO) or a bumper/tire carrier. It's cheaper to pay up front than fix a torqued tailgate/ bodywork.

There are some bumper/tire carriers that will work with the factory tailgate (one handed opening).

First Name
Alfredo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
I have 37" tires with 20" wheels and the Mopar reinforcement kit isn't doing it's job, I am new to the jeep community and I purchased my Jeep with the Mopar reinforcement kit already installed along with the wheels and tires, thinking the dealer would know better. After owning it for about 2 months now and reading forums, I feel like I know more than they do about jeeps, anyways, rant aside, my tailgate is making crazy racket and nonstop bounces. Should I get a different tire carrier before I have to replace my tailgate and tire carrier?

Any suggestions would be great thanks.
Sponsored