Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
As the title states “Keeping key fob in Jeep” is there any harm in doing so, not like keeping it in there all the time for obvious reasons but in the past with other vehicles that had keyless entry and keyless start I just kept the fob in the console while garage kept.

It was stated to me in another thread on a start message staying lit that it may be caused by leaving the fob in the vehicle and the vehicle may think it’s getting ready to be started, it was stated that leaving the fob in the vehicle can also cause unessary drain on the batteries.

When ever I get into the Jeep to start I get the message below in the display cluster and it goes out once started but upon shutting off the Jeep and getting out this same message is lit and normally goes out but there does not seem to be a set time on it going out like sometimes it takes a 2-3 mins and the other day it never went out until I restarted it and shut it back off so does leaving the fob in it cause it to stay lit longer ?

7FBA002C-19C6-4A02-B3C8-4EFA03286812.jpeg
Sponsored

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
My Mustang GT has a wireless key fob. I accidentally left the fob in the car for two weeks. The battery was so low not even the interior lights came on. Luckily the car was in my garage and the doors were unlocked. I now take extra precaution not to leave the fob in it. The same now for the Rubi.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
I wouldn't do it, but then again, I'll probably remove the battery from the key fob even though the Sport model that I ordered does not have the electric door locks.

I wish it had a key type ignition switch in the dash they controlled power to the computer, so that even if you get in the vehicle with the fob, you would still need the key inserted and turned to an "ON" position before the computer would have power and could be used to recognize the fob.

If you had a key type vehicle, would you leave a key in the ignition even if it was in the garage? I live in a neighborhood where I've never had anyone (as far as I know) try to get into my pickup even though it was parked in the driveway, but I wouldn't leave a key (or fob) in my car, even if it was in the garage. And my dog will definitely bark if someone walks up my driveway to the garage that is off the rear of the house.

OP
OP
WranglerMan

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the info Gents, I will start taking the fob in the house. I never really gave any thought to the fob communicating with the onboard computer all the time with the fob left in the Jeep and I surly don’t want a dead battery, I wil see if the display message I get starts going out like it’s supposed to by taking the fob inside

larrynjean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
I leave mine in both my vehicles all the time...My 2018 Honda Ridgeline and my 2018 Wrangler JL...(for my ridgeline its been 9 months on the original fob battery so far)

I have a RFI pouch i put it in when parking away from my home garage...

There is another post on here where several were talking about the size of the key fob that will give you several links where to purchase them and where to get door keys...

I do not like key fobs for the simple reason, if you own several vehicles these things take up pocket space like crazy and for those of us that still do physical work they are easily damaged in your pocket...WHO every though this was a better idea is not living in the real world...They should still offer the key option...I've also recently read an article about the amount of fatalities caused by people forgetting to push the off button when parking in their home garages...

Sponsored

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Just remember to tell your insurance company your plans for your key fob so that they can properly factor in your stupidity / carelessness / naivete in your insurance rates. :)

szobell

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
Thanks for posting this and the responses! I have a few vehicles that I leave the FOB’s in the car while they are in my storage shed and not in use. This explains why when I went to grab my Cherokee, the battery was dead after just a couple of weeks.

Going to get rfid pouches!!

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for posting this and the responses! I have a few vehicles that I leave the FOB’s in the car while they are in my storage shed and not in use. This explains why when I went to grab my Cherokee, the battery was dead after just a couple of weeks.

Going to get rfid pouches!!
You could try wrapping the fobs up in aluminum foil... Or just remove the battery from the fob...

jamotn

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT500,'15 Mustang GT, '14 Juke.'12 HD,'18 Indian Scout
My Mustang GT has a wireless key fob. I accidentally left the fob in the car for two weeks. The battery was so low not even the interior lights came on. Luckily the car was in my garage and the doors were unlocked. I now take extra precaution not to leave the fob in it. The same now for the Rubi.
I too have a Mustang GT with this. I put the fob in my pocket and everything works as advertised.I find it interesting that the GTs came with keyless and remote start std. This is almost a grand extra for both on a JL. Plus of course as a modern car we have led's std too. lets not forget limited slip std.

Springtail

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1977 FJ40, (RestoMod), 2018 Camaro SS Convertible, 2020 Tesla Model Y Performance
Occupation
Co-Owner Springtail LLC
Interesting question....I have a manual and would like to be able to lock the vehicle on some of those frozen Iowa mornings to warm it up/defrost it. Will Jeep make me a separate key so I can manually lock the doors to leave the fob inside?

Doc

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
I think this is the silliest thing I ever heard leaving key Fobs in a vehicle. WHATS THE GAIN OR PURPOSE? Is this a new thing?
Locking keys in vehicles if you live in an AREA so bad you can't leave your vehicle MOVE FAST.

All my vehicles have remote start.

Springtail

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1977 FJ40, (RestoMod), 2018 Camaro SS Convertible, 2020 Tesla Model Y Performance
Occupation
Co-Owner Springtail LLC
I think this is the silliest thing I ever heard leaving key Fobs in a vehicle. WHATS THE GAIN OR PURPOSE? Is this a new thing?
Locking keys in vehicles if you live in an AREA so bad you can't leave your vehicle MOVE FAST.

All my vehicles have remote start.
I do it all the time with my F150....keypad entry, I never have to carry the keyfob on me. Super convenient.

Obviously, the Jeep would be less secure than my truck. I'd love it if I could just enter a code on the center screen to start the vehicle. I hate extra crap in my pockets

Doc

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I do it all the time with my F150....keypad entry, I never have to carry the keyfob on me. Super convenient.

Obviously, the Jeep would be less secure than my truck. I'd love it if I could just enter a code on the center screen to start the vehicle. I hate extra crap in my pockets

Doc
I think providing the capability to assign multiple PIN codes to each key fob would be an interesting idea in some circumstances. They could make it so that even for a particular key, if one PIN code was used, it would limit the speed to a certain value (great for teenage driver or when you give you car to a parking lot valet). You could make it so that if your kid's PIN was used, then the stereo did not work (or maybe just not work if the vehicle is running). Or maybe only work while stopped, but at a limited volume. Considering the crap that kids listen to these days, I would say that it should not work *at all*.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I don't have my JL yet, so I don't have a fob to test, but I did try some quick tests on my cell phone and found the following. I didn't test every combination.
  • Cell phone on a stainless steel tray and covered with a stainless steel bowl
    • cell phone signal -- BLOCKED
  • Wrap the cell phone in aluminum foil
    • cell phone signal -- BLOCKED
    • bluetooth signal -- BLOCKED
    • wifi signal with wifi access point antenna less than 2 ft away -- BLOCKED
Sponsored

Last edited: