Sponsored

JL Wrangler vs New Ford Bronco

JoKer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Wrangler Sport
So we've had the true off roader utility vehicle space to ourselves for a while but it sound like Ford will be reviving the Bronco (supposedly in 2020) and set its sights directly on the Wrangler. Once the JL Wrangler debuts next year, Ford will have the exact specs and pricing to benchmark against for the Bronco. And they'll have 2-3 years before its debut to make changes they think will make it competitive against the JL/JLU. With all that time and info you guys think they'll put out a truly competitive Bronco?
Sponsored

Jeep XXL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
They've had the exact specs and pricing of the JK and never did anything about it. Like it's been proven by the FJ Cruiser demise it's going to come down to production cost, pricing and sales volume. Building an off road utility SUV is one thing but what's the competitive advantage going to be?

I've read the Bronco could be all or mostly aluminum since the pretty much have aluminum processes and recylcling down to a science with the F150. That could be one but then price will be sky high.

It takes economies of scale and volume to spread costs around. The Bronco is probably going to be offered in a single configuration (4 door would be my guess) and even if it shares platform with a new Ranger it'll be a huge financial gamble IMO. There's a reason they stopped building it in the first place.

N.Stark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 TJ
So we've had the true off roader utility vehicle space to ourselves for a while but it sound like Ford will be reviving the Bronco (supposedly in 2020) and set its sights directly on the Wrangler. Once the JL Wrangler debuts next year, Ford will have the exact specs and pricing to benchmark against for the Bronco. And they'll have 2-3 years before its debut to make changes they think will make it competitive against the JL/JLU. With all that time and info you guys think they'll put out a truly competitive Bronco?
I don't think it will come down to specs. They will have to undercut the JL pricing to get traction. I don't know anyone that would hold off on a Jeep purchase to see what Ford is doing with the Bronco. Theres no guarantee it will even have a removable top and be off road capable. Looking at Ford's line up they reallly love their soccer mom SUV's in all different flavors.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Just my Opinion ... but I think the Bronco will be HIGHLY competitive with the Wrangler. Ford has been killing it lately with their SVT line up: The new Raptor and new Focus RS are both top of their class. If they didn't think they could take on the Wrangler they wouldn't bother.

If they build a Bronco my guess is they would target exactly the same Wrangler configs: 2 Door & 4 Door with removable hardtop, my guess will be that it resembles the classic 60s Bronco that most love (think the past current generation Mustangs throw back to the classic 60s version). And if I was to guess motors it would be the 4cly Ecoboot, 6 cyl Ecoboost, and maybe a V8 (which I doubt since even the new Raptor isn't a V8 any more).

Now the big question in my mind is do they go solid axel or more long travel IFS?

ModdedJK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Modded JK
Clubs

I hope they make a smashing bronco success. Competition is a good thing. That means they need to understand why the wrangler is so successful. Open air, BOF, solid axles and easily customized/modified. If they just port over the glorified Ford Everest to the US market it will be overlooked by the Jeep faithful.

Sponsored

JJ75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU
Now the big question in my mind is do they go solid axel or more long travel IFS?
It's supposed to be built on the same platform and plant as the next Ford Ranger which has had an IFS since 1998 so it could very well get an IFS.

PSA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
If they stick a big honking V8 in the Bronco that would steal a lot of buyers.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
It's supposed to be built on the same platform and plant as the next Ford Ranger which has had an IFS since 1998 so it could very well get an IFS.
Thats my guess too which will stop a lot of Wrangler buyers from crossing over. However with that said they have a lot of experience building long travel IFS systems with the SVT team due to development on the Raptor. I have seen Raptors out on trails being able to keep up with most Jeep owners, so I'm not 100% turned off by that.

JJ75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU
Thats my guess too which will stop a lot of Wrangler buyers from crossing over. However with that said they have a lot of experience building long travel IFS systems with the SVT team due to development on the Raptor. I have seen Raptors out on trails being able to keep up with most Jeep owners, so I'm not 100% turned off by that.
SVT has done a great job with the Raptor IFS which works well in 90% of the terrain and the 11" front travel is a lot for a pickup. It's built for go fast trailing/cornering but for the slow and steady speeds across the nastiest most punishing real world trails there's no substitute for the straight axle.

We're really comparing apples and oranges with the SVT versions however. A non Raptor Bronco won't get SVT engineering and the Tundra has the beefiest and most front travel IFS on the market right now with ~9" front travel stock. This will be a big factor to get any Wrangler cross shoppers.

N.Stark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 TJ
If they stick a big honking V8 in the Bronco that would steal a lot of buyers.
Depends on what happens with the F-150. Some rumors say it's losing its V8 after 2017. And some say it's gaining an ecoboost turbo V8. If it loses the V8 then no chance for it in Bronco obviously.

My doomsday scenario is the 2018 Wrangler comes with an enclosed top and the Bronco comes with a fully removal top. Talk about stealing the Wrangler's thunder.

Sponsored

CrashBurn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F-150
Depends on what happens with the F-150. Some rumors say it's losing its V8 after 2017. And some say it's gaining an ecoboost turbo V8. If it loses the V8 then no chance for it in Bronco obviously.

My doomsday scenario is the 2018 Wrangler comes with an enclosed top and the Bronco comes with a fully removal top. Talk about stealing the Wrangler's thunder.
I bet the Bronco gets the 3.5 ecoboost. Honestly its the better engine in all these categories f you are comparing it to the 5.0L.
1. Fuel economy
2. Torque
3. HP
4. Towing ability
5. Mod-ability

And I dont see the Bronco getting a removable top, maybe only partial. It's never really had full open air feel like the Wrangler. They even left it off the Bronco concept from back in the day.

N.Stark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 TJ
I bet the Bronco gets the 3.5 ecoboost. Honestly its the better engine in all these categories f you are comparing it to the 5.0L.
1. Fuel economy
2. Torque
3. HP
4. Towing ability
5. Mod-ability

And I dont see the Bronco getting a removable top, maybe only partial. It's never really had full open air feel like the Wrangler. They even left it off the Bronco concept from back in the day.
Good points but even the JL Wrangler may only be a partial removable top compared to the JK :(

I woulda loved to see a turbo 6 instead of a turbo 4 for the 2018 Jeep Wrangler to be honest. That way you get the best of both worlds. Decent torque from the get go and then lots of power once the turbos get going. A 4 cylinder (even if turbo) just has a stigma to it that I can't shake and that I'm sure lots of other enthusiasts also can't get used to.

Anyways, if the Bronco gets only the V6 ecoboost engine, the JL will still offer more range with two engine choices, and won't force turbo on customers like the Bronco will since the V6 pentastar will still be available.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Well it's official... looks like we'll have a Wrangler vs Bronco fight on our hands by 2020.

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/10/03/ford-bronco-coming-back-michigan-america-official/
Bring it! I don't see anything they offer taking much market from Jeep. On the other hand, a Mini Raptor could be a home run for them. Contradicting I know, but the true Jeep faithful will always hold out for BOF, straight axles and the open air capabilities. No way the next Bronco will be designed to remove tops and doors.

ModdedJK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Modded JK
Clubs

Bring it! I don't see anything they offer taking much market from Jeep. On the other hand, a Mini Raptor could be a home run for them. Contradicting I know, but the true Jeep faithful will always hold out for BOF, straight axles and the open air capabilities. No way the next Bronco will be designed to remove tops and doors.
I tend to agree that Ford doesn't have the stomach to build it the way true off road enthusiasts demand, but I thought I remembered the Bronco concept from way back was designed with removable top. Not sure about the doors tho.
Sponsored