Sponsored

Major steering issue problem with JL Wrangler. Please watch

kdkns

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Posting an update. I sent pms to Jeep cares but hadn’t hear back but did call the Jeep cares number and got a case number for my vehicle.

They were not happy with my dealers response and have scheduled a appointment at my dealer ( I had a choice to go anywhere ) and assured me that with them involved they would have a better representation on my side to have the dealer help resolve his issue.

This does make me feel better but I will wait to see what happens next week and if they will attempt to replace or repair anything. The Jeep folks so far have been very helpful and took my issues seriously which is good to know.
Sponsored

martyb511

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JL Sahara, 15 Lexus CT200h, 15 Toyota Highlander Ltd

carolinaclan

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLU
Took mine to the dealer for the third time on Monday ...finally got them to drive it on Tuesday and they confirmed the issue. Got in touch with Jeep and were told to order the Steering Gear Box and replace ...backordered now. Contacted Jeep and was told earliest I will see the part is July 6th. By that time Jeep will have spent half the time I have owned it in the shop ! Really sorry I bought a Jeep !!!!

Chuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon M/T 2dr, 2009 Nissan Xterra Off Road M/T with a 2" lift
Vehicle Showcase
Took mine to the dealer for the third time on Monday ...finally got them to drive it on Tuesday and they confirmed the issue. Got in touch with Jeep and were told to order the Steering Gear Box and replace ...backordered now. Contacted Jeep and was told earliest I will see the part is July 6th. By that time Jeep will have spent half the time I have owned it in the shop ! Really sorry I bought a Jeep !!!!
Unbelievable. Sorry, man. What a nightmare. Just out of curiosity, did they say if the replacement gearbox was any different than the one installed by the manufacturer? Otherwise, what's to say this problem doesn't just present again down the road. If it is a different part (or one that's machined differently), I wonder when or if they started installing the gearbox 2.0 on the new builds in Toledo.

Sponsored

martyb511

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JL Sahara, 15 Lexus CT200h, 15 Toyota Highlander Ltd
They want me to replicate the issue tomorrow and I'm afraid since the car won't be driven about an hour (when the issue has come up twice) I won't be able to replicate it. Are they providing you a loaner?

maguro

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'n JLUR
That's pretty crazy.

Not only do you have to make an appointment with your dealer and not only does the problem have to occur while it's in their possession but if it does, you then have to wait several weeks to get it fixed.

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
Check your lemon laws. In Florida 15 straight days gets you a new vehicle. I wouldn’t drive that vehicle. Might as well upgrade to a MY19.

carolinaclan

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLU
They want me to replicate the issue tomorrow and I'm afraid since the car won't be driven about an hour (when the issue has come up twice) I won't be able to replicate it. Are they providing you a loaner?
Striped down JK loaner with so many restrictions I can’t even sneeze in it. Bought the Jeep for the beach but by the time I get it back summer will be half over ...good luck with yours

Sponsored

carolinaclan

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLU
Unbelievable. Sorry, man. What a nightmare. Just out of curiosity, did they say if the replacement gearbox was any different than the one installed by the manufacturer? Otherwise, what's to say this problem doesn't just present again down the road. If it is a different part (or one that's machined differently), I wonder when or if they started installing the gearbox 2.0 on the new builds in Toledo.
Not sure if it’s different because t might be what’s causing the delay ! I will ask tomorrow

knick33

First Name
Hank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon (Ordered)
I had the same thought. Mine went back into another dealer yesterday and I've supplied my Jeep Wave rep with everything i've compiled thus far. The list is starting to grow on my jeep, not only do I have the steering issue, my grill is turning yellow, and my UConnect went bonkers starting last Thursday (blue screen, screen lockup, you name it). When it all works, I love it...but with only 2 months of ownership at $55k I expect stuff to just work as advertised. The gear box makes sense, but I'd expect them to post a bulletin at this point. I will have to acknowledge that the Jeep Wave reps, not dealership, has been on top of things and have been very responsive. At least I know they are trying. NHTSA has also been inquiring every step of the way as well. I'm doing my part trying to raise awareness to those who should know and will request that you all continue to post your findings here because I've been using this thread with all parties as place to research since there isn't a official bulletin. Will keep you all posted. In meantime, they loaned me a Grand Cherokee...vented seats are awesome!

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
I really hope my Jeep experience doesn't involve waiting for weeks for repairs to a brand new vehicle. Another Jeep will never see my driveway if that's the case.

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
I really hope my Jeep experience doesn't involve waiting for weeks for repairs to a brand new vehicle. Another Jeep will never see my driveway if that's the case.
I wouldn’t write off Jeep. This often happens with new releases. The owners fine tune the final bugs. Should be given some compensation for being product testers. MY19 looking better everyday. Sorry for your experience. :(
Sponsored