Options for carrying a canoe/kayak

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
I only carry my kayak during the summer with top off! I just strapped it to the roll bar and bumper
Sponsored

smuddy

First Name
shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
i'm also looking for a soft top option. I know I can get a piece that goes into the trailer hitch for the rear and holds one side of the yak, but for the front window of the jeep, are there any no-drill bars for that for this purpose? I often take my paddle boards locally without the top up no problem, but need something for traveling longer distance where I will need to have the soft top up.

wired

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Red with soft top

smuddy

First Name
shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
Get an inflatable kayak or dinghy. They collapse down to suitcase-size, can be easily transported in virtually any vehicle, and are rather light.

People assume inflatables are fragile/prone to puncture, but high-quality PVC boats are pretty tough, and neoprene ones are literally indestructible (see every white-water raft). They all have at least 3 air chambers, so in the rare event you get a puncture, you won't sink. Repairs are apparently quick/easy too.

Sponsored

smuddy

First Name
shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Get an inflatable kayak or dinghy. They collapse down to suitcase-size, can be easily transported in virtually any vehicle, and are rather light.

People assume inflatables are fragile/prone to puncture, but high-quality PVC boats are pretty tough, and neoprene ones are literally indestructible (see every white-water raft). They all have at least 3 air chambers, so in the rare event you get a puncture, you won't sink. Repairs are apparently quick/easy too.
Was in Tampa fishing on my inflatable paddle board last weekend... Catfish barb punctured my board! Luckily, I wasn't far from shore as I put one hand over the hole and paddled with one hand while sitting. They are great for rivers but I like to fish off mine in salt water. One curious shark, barracuda or frisky catfish and you're swimming! I'm getting a hard board! But for just tooling around, I agree, they are great! We even took them to Jamaica as checked luggage !

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
Was in Tampa fishing on my inflatable paddle board last weekend... Catfish barb punctured my board! Luckily, I wasn't far from shore as I put one hand over the hole and paddled with one hand while sitting. They are great for rivers but I like to fish off mine in salt water. One curious shark, barracuda or frisky catfish and you're swimming! I'm getting a hard board! But for just tooling around, I agree, they are great! We even took them to Jamaica as checked luggage !
Yeah, people assume fish hooks are the problem with inflatables, but it's usually the fish themselves! I don't know about kayaks, but a neoprene dinghy with a rigid floor (aluminum, plywood, fiberglass, etc) couldn't be punctured by anything short of a Great White. I assume someone makes a similarly tough inflatable kayak.

Sponsored

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
Remove the roof and rear seats, recline the front passenger seat all the way, fold down the windshield, route the kayak though the vehicle and out the windshield, and throw some cargo strap on it?

Yeah, laugh, but I've seen people carry lumber that way home from Home Depot.

ps2baseball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR; 2012 Jeep GC Overland
I just wish we knew why the Mopar ones states "not for kayaks or canoes". I am afraid to put anything on the gutters in general. My Native is only 60lbs but the lift created at highway speeds might fracture the gutters.

The Hitch Mount option would also work with a hard top. The only downside is you have to remove to open the tailgate.

NewsShooter

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n Wrangler

And they're slow, don't think that's going to keep up with my 17 foot kayak or even a 12 foot plastic boat with a decent shape. :)

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
http://www.extendatruck.us/ ???

Two hitches, one front and one rear are required, and two Darby Extend-A-Truck products, about $100 each (etrailer.com.) Total cost, about $320 plus shipping. Maybe not the best solution, but the best for the biggest kayak on the smallest Wrangler.

Good luck.

darby.jpg
Sponsored