Sponsored

2018 Sport JL Transmission: Auto vs Manual?

BPrince

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport
Hey everyone new to this forum and to Jeeps. Loved them for a long time and can finally afford a 2018 Wrangler Sport JL, but unfortunately can't afford many, if any upgrades for a while. I'm looking to buy this week and there are two available in my price range. Both have the same features (besides rims) but one is an auto and one is a manual. I miss driving a stick and it would be fun for me, but the wife doesn't know how :) so she'd prefer an auto. My main question is quality. Are the new 8 speed manual transmissions as good, better, or worse than a manual? Next I'm curious what's better (auto vs Manual) for off road? I appreciate any advice! Thanks and glad to finally be joining! Two more questions: since it's a stock 2018 Wrangler Sport JL should I go with the one that has black steel rims or the grayish aluminum rims (they're the same price)? Curious what holds up better? Finally any recommendations on where I can get the most aggressive (and largest) all-terrain tires that fit the stock rims without a lift (and without rubbing when turning)? Thanks!
Sponsored

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
My wife likes to use the excuse that if I get an manual transmission, she won't be able to drive the vehicle. It's a lie since she most definitely knows how to drive a manual transmission (since she used to have one), she just refuses to these days. I let her get away with that BS excuse when I bought my Ram 1500 14 years ago, but that was only because that I would have needed to move up to the 2500 series truck and the Cummins diesel in order to get the manual transmission. I wasn't willing to spend an extra $10K just to get a manual transmission. So, I put up with the automatic transmission for the last 14 years and have hated it the entire time. So, did she actually ever drive the truck? You would think that since since she used that excuse, she would drive the truck some, right? Hell, she wasn't even willing to move the vehicle from one side of the driveway to the other side so that she could pull her car out of the garage.

So, my opinion? Get what YOU want and to 'ell with what your wife wants.

I sold my Ram last week and ordered a JL 2-door Sport with only the bare minimum add-ons...
I actually *wanted* the manual transmission, manual door locks, manual windows, and steel wheels.
I added air-conditioning, a hard top, and the anti-spin rear differential.
I'll add the trailer hitch myself.

https://sites.google.com/site/navyvet1959/vehicles/jeep-wrangler-jl-decision

Last edited:

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The aluminum alloy rims come on the "Sport S" model, not the "Sport" model. And the "Sport S" has a few more features that you may or may not want and is more expensive. Go to jeep.com and play around with their build tool.

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
Both transmissions are very good. I prefer a stick off-road. However, I don't have a She Who Must Be Obeyed to contend with. Tire size is limited by the width of the stock wheels. I believe 33" is about as large as you can safely go without other mods. Any reputable tire retailer can do the deed and show you your options.

jaldeborgh

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon, 2017 Lotus Evora 400, 1949 Triumph 2000 (under restoration), 2004 Ducati Monster S4R, 2003 BMW K1200RS, and 4 Vespa scooters.
Occupation
Semiconductor Capital Equipment Sales Executive
Two thoughts on the automatic transmission. First, happy wife, happy life. Second, the 8 speed ZF designed unit is nothing short of excellent.

I chose the auto specifically because of my wife and 3 young adult daughters. They can all drive a manual but all requested the automatic. It’s just easier for them and they aren’t car enthusiasts.

I’m an enthusiast and generally buy vehicles with a manual transmission. But in this case having everyone enjoy the Jeep is my priority.

Sponsored

dgulia

First Name
Raj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport JLU; 2019 Ram 2500 Laramie; 2019 Jeep Cherokee
For gas mileage and it probably is quicker go with auto

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Manual: More fun on open highway. Less fun in the city and on the trail. Also, has taller gears from 2nd through overdrive, so doesn't handle larger tires as well and doesn't tow or haul loads as well. Clutch maintenance will occur at some point which is costly.

Automatic: ZF based trans. should last forever. Is used in many vehicles worldwide. More convenient around town and works better on the trail. Zero maintenance. Better resale value. Has deeper gearing. Can still be shifted manually. Better for towing, hauling, or oversized tires. Gives the option of add-ons later like a dead pedal, aftermarket remote start, etc.

I've owned 4-door Wranglers with both and while they certainly both have advantages and disadvantages, my opinion is that since we've now got the 8-speed auto as an option there is no reason to have the manual anymore.

phatjoe

First Name
VJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram Powerwagon, 2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon
I've owned quite a few cars with a manual transmission (s2000, z4, wrangler jk, audi tt, and it goes on). Without a doubt, the manual transmission on the JLU is one my favorites....by FAR.

But in your situation, I'd go auto...

JHJLUR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GC Overland, 18 JLUR
I love manual vehicles, but the 8spd auto is pretty awesome and the direction I went, it’s a great transmission.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
For gas mileage and it probably is quicker go with auto
The EPA figures on the vehicles disagree with your gas mileage assumption. On the 2-door JL, it's 25 with a manual and 23 with an automatic. Even on vehicles that are supposedly rated the same, I tend to get better mileage with a manual, but that's just probably because of my driving style.

And on the acceleration tests that I've seen on YouTube so far, the manual wins out on the acceleration also.

Sponsored

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Two thoughts on the automatic transmission. First, happy wife, happy life. Second, the 8 speed ZF designed unit is nothing short of excellent.

I chose the auto specifically because of my wife and 3 young adult daughters. They can all drive a manual but all requested the automatic. It’s just easier for them and they aren’t car enthusiasts.

I’m an enthusiast and generally buy vehicles with a manual transmission. But in this case having everyone enjoy the Jeep is my priority.
At some point, you get old enough to realize that women are never satisfied and it's foolish to even *attempt* to please them. Unless you only have one vehicle in the family and everyone has to drive it, then let the Jeep be your vehicle and get what *you* like to drive. For many of us, it's a vehicle with a MAN pedal.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
I'm on the fence also. Prefer a manual, but GF can't or won't drive stick. Would be nice to save $2,000 though.

I have no reservations either way from a reliability stand point, but I'd say the 6 speed manual just has less components and less electronics to go bad. If you follow this forum, you'll see some owners having problems with their auto shifters and getting stranded. From what I've read, the 8 speed exhibits a great amount of engine braking...good or bad...depending on your preference.

Go drive both and see what works best for you.

I have no idea how much it costs to replace a clutch or when it should be done on the JL. I drove my 1998 Mustang 5 speed 220k miles on the original clutch.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
You should get a manual because that is what I got.

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
I am a MT GUY and typicall loath AT. With the JLU we knew we were putting 35s on and wanted a tranny and ratio that could handle the bigger size going up big hills at freeway speed without regearing. My TJ with 33s MT and 3.73 ratio doesnt handle mountain freeways well.

Nearby dealer had a jlu sport wth 35s AT with 3.45 ratio. Test drove it and the 8 spd AT did remarkably well going up a mountain pass.

Then i took a Stock tire size jlu Mt from a different dealer up some bigger hills... nowhere near like the mountain pass i took the AT on. The MT Labored a lot...almost as bad as my 5spd TJ. There were also some undesirable rattle coming from the MT on shifts. I got the same rattles from MT GRAND CHEROKEE AND durango rt. Weird. The MT was the worst mt jeep ive ever driven. Worst than my YJ Or TJ. ITS SAD.

So we went with the AT. I miss the added control given by the Mts im used too but this 8spd AT is surprisingly good on hills at highway speed. We like it so far.
Sponsored