Sponsored

Resale value of manual rubicon?

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
Excellent points about resale value have been given by above posters. I personally don't think things like the $2,000.00 automatic returns $2,000 years down the line on resale.

In particular, I think a manual JL Rubicon might almost be a sought after item commanding the same, if not a slightly higher price, than an automatic in the future. I have a 2004 Accord V6 that has a manual transmission that is sought after enough that they're worth more than their automatic counterparts.

Kudos to the comments about hardtop etc. Some of these items are highly sought after by those shopping pre-owned. I bet A/C returns 100% of its price as well, lol.
Sponsored

Newbiejeeperjl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unlimited JL
Hereā€™s something to think about. My daughter is about to turn 16. Iā€™m buying her a stick so she canā€™t talk/text on her phone while she drives! I personally think a stick is safer for a teen. She wants a Yj stick with a jamming stereo. Nothing else!lol. the search is on!

mgrowc1

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Just did a deal on a ā€˜18 JLUR last weekend and dealer gave me $13k for my ā€˜12 JKU sport with 6spd and 101k+ miles. Considering I paid around $28k for the JKU new, I think it held its value well and exceeded my expectations. I also take very good care of my vehicles and it was in excellent condition. I ordered a manual again without hesitancy. Hope that helps.
This actually seems low to me - what was the KBB trade in? I got nearly 19k for my trade in 2012 JK sport (2 door). Granted it had some upgrades and I gave a bunch of parts with it, which we agreed upon and I only had 40k miles. I also only paid around 28k when I got it. Mine was also a manual.

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
If my manual is worth less when I sell it down the line so be it!

Strifehero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR
Always had manual Jeeps. What I learned to drive on. And my JLUR is my 5th Wrangler. Can't imagine country roads topless and doorless in an auto because I'm worried about resale. Or finally having kids I can teach to drive a stick I'd be worried I won't be able to sell one day even though I can't imagine ever parting with this Jeep. Manual Jeeps are the way for me.

Sponsored

RubiconRob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
I have the same concerns. I really want a manual Rubicon and the wife wants an orange one so that may be a very small pool of future buyers. If most wranglers sold are automatics it's because that's what most buyers prefer. The fact is that there are a lot of people that don't even know how to drive a manual and have no desire to learn. I think if I order a manual Rubicon I'll order it with fewer options to bring the price down. A fully loaded $55k manual will be rare and might be a tough resale. If you keep your vehicles for 5 + years this may be less of a concern. I've never had a Wrangler so if I get it and don't like it I want to be able to sell it.
Did you just say If I get a wrangler and donā€™t like it?...being a first time jeep owner myself this past Feb (Rubicon JL ā€œMANUALā€) and knowing how much I love this jeep I canā€™t even imagine how this could even happen! Lol
As far as manual or Auto? IMO if you are getting a Jeep and gonna do serious off roading with it, donā€™t even think about not getting a manual if you get the opportunity to get one. I personally chose a manual for this reason and have never looked back or regretted it one bit! The manual has a better crawl ratio, and you have a lot more control of your rig in all off road situations. I can also confirm that the manual has a little better acceleration than the automatic. I have a friend who has 2018 Rubicon JL like mine except itā€™s an automatic and itā€™s slightly slower or acceleration when we tested side by side. Also my friend comments all the time how whenever Iā€™m in front going down a steep trail my brake lights next to never come on (hence manual transmission). My friend said going down trail inclines she just about always has to feather the brakes.

5ED8B1D3-238B-4F2A-B835-6C1435E70157.jpeg

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Did you just say If I get a wrangler and donā€™t like it?...being a first time jeep owner myself this past Feb (Rubicon JL ā€œMANUALā€) and knowing how much I love this jeep I canā€™t even imagine how this could even happen! Lol
As far as manual or Auto? IMO if you are getting a Jeep and gonna do serious off roading with it, donā€™t even think about not getting a manual if you get the opportunity to get one. I personally chose a manual for this reason and have never looked back or regretted it one bit! The manual has a better crawl ratio, and you have a lot more control of your rig in all off road situations. I can also confirm that the manual has a little better acceleration than the automatic. I have a friend who has 2018 Rubicon JL like mine except itā€™s an automatic and itā€™s slightly slower or acceleration when we tested side by side. Also my friend comments all the time how whenever Iā€™m in front going down a steep trail my brake lights next to never come on (hence manual transmission). My friend said going down trail inclines she just about always has to feather the brakes.

Wonderful pic!

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Certainly the people on the various "Issues" threads could give you lots of reasons. ;)

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
So I assume that means the demand is very low so will the resale value be much lower for a manual? Particularly for a fully loaded rubicon it worries me that the resale for a manual could be tough?
No. Your resale value will be just fine.

Kenny

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl sports, 2015 JK Unlimited, 2013 JK @ Dr
Occupation
Village Idiot
Clubs

Hereā€™s something to think about. My daughter is about to turn 16. Iā€™m buying her a stick so she canā€™t talk/text on her phone while she drives! I personally think a stick is safer for a teen. She wants a Yj stick with a jamming stereo. Nothing else!lol. the search is on!
Excellent strategy. I already had an automatic so I broke my son's arm so he can't text when driving. The only challenge is re-breaking it every couple of months

Sponsored

islandtees

First Name
gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 rubicon jl
There will always be a larger market for automatics. It will be easier to sell the auto than the manual. It may take a little longer to sell the manual. The auto may demand a little more on private resale. It will take a larger hit on a trade as a dealer doesn't want a used car or truck that will sit on the lot longer than 90 days.

Ruby Jack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
If you're worried about losing a grand on the resale value of a m/t Jeep that you're about to throw $35k+ on, then you probably shouldn't be buying a new vehicle at this time.

You're already about to lose about $8k on it as soon as you sign that paperwork and drive off the lot, the difference between a a/t and m/t resale is trivial by comparison.

robplumm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKUR in Dozer
If you're worried about losing a grand on the resale value of a m/t Jeep that you're about to throw $35k+ on, then you probably shouldn't be buying a new vehicle at this time.

You're already about to lose about $8k on it as soon as you sign that paperwork and drive off the lot, the difference between a a/t and m/t resale is trivial by comparison.
Unless you got a shitty deal, you're not losing $8k on a Wrangler as soon as you drive it off the lot.

Heck...I've barely had a drop of $8k over 6 years with my current one.

At most you'll see about a 9% drop in value after the 1st year.

Last edited:

Chicago

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU black on black loaded with turbo engine
Occupation
Pipefitter
Unless you got a shitty deal, you're not losing $8k on a Wrangler as soon as you drive it off the lot.

Heck...I've barely had a drop of $8 over 6 years with my current one.

At most you'll see about a 9% drop in value after the 1st year.
Top 3 in resale value

keviper

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler Winter Edition

First off - love the pic, glad you're enjoying your jeep. I'll agree to disagree with you on the manual v automatic and off-roading. The whole manual is better for off-roading is old logic and thinking IMHO. I've been off-road in both and maybe it's my age, but I prefer the automatic now. Hill decent (or whatever it's called) takes care of you having to brake down steep declines as well so you don't have to ride the brakes. As far as "faster" goes...yeah, it's a Jeep so I couldn't care less :)

All good though, we all have our opinions. Great pic and enjoy the Jeep!
Sponsored