Whats going on with the diesel?

anoska71

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Liberty KK
I'm a little concerned about waiting to get a diesel. Ever since I herd they were in the works to put one in a wrangler, that's all I've been waiting for. I couldn't imagine that they would not make the diesel since they already announced it in the unveiling, however, with all the legal issues and based of FCA's 5 year plan, I have my concerns. I'm willing to wait for the diesel when it comes out but at the same time I don't want to keep waiting if it doesn't. Any thoughts, comments, or advice?
Sponsored

JeepOn

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK, RAM 3500, E350 Benz
I’ve been waiting to get my hands on a factory diesel powered Wrangler since before I was able to drive. Was able to play around with a few while overseas for awhile and have been waiting for one here on American soil ever since I came back. I feel your pain, I really do. Personally, I’m going to stick it out until at least 2019 and see whats what. I’ve been really temped to buy a JL now, and do what I need to do with it, and simply trade it in / sell privately once the diesels are able to be ordered.

Thus I sit and wait for the day my little fleet will be all oil burners once again. I guess is really comes down to want over need.

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
I hadn't paid much attention to the diesel previously, because I was excited about the turbo option. But now that the turbos are not making progress, I'm debating waiting for a diesel. Subscribed to this to see what ETAs there might be for the diesels.

W1ck3d

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl rubicon
The 3.0l diesel will not be out until 2019... I was lucky enough to drive a few.... When you drive the damn thing is a tank it feels like you can drive up a wall

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
The 3.0l diesel will not be out until 2019... I was lucky enough to drive a few.... When you drive the damn thing is a tank it feels like you can drive up a wall
It does sound awesome and I’ve always wanted one. Do we have a rough idea of when in 2019? Is it a 2019 model year with release in October/November/December of 2018? Or is it a “late release” and actually coming later in 2019?

Sponsored

Nihkole

First Name
Nichole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL 3.0 Diesel, 2000 Chevrolet Camaro
It does sound awesome and I’ve always wanted one. Do we have a rough idea of when in 2019? Is it a 2019 model year with release in October/November/December of 2018? Or is it a “late release” and actually coming later in 2019?
The timeline from earlier this year said August of 2018. I've been waiting for the power top for months and since it's so close to August I thought I'd wait 2 more months to order diesel.

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
The timeline from earlier this year said August of 2018. I've been waiting for the power top for months and since it's so close to August I thought I'd wait 2 more months to order diesel.
Shoot, at that rate, it could come before my turbo!

I've seen some speculation on the price increase - around $5k. Do we think that's accurate? If so, I'd probably shy away from it.

Nihkole

First Name
Nichole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I've seen some speculation on the price increase - around $5k. Do we think that's accurate? If so, I'd probably shy away from it.
I want this Wrangler to last for 20 years at least. My understand is a diesel is more durable and I know better mpg than gas. So if the premium is 5k I'm still going to go for it.

BBgun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU, 2004 Ram 2500
Occupation
sales

To add a diesel to the Ram 1500 is a $3200 option. I hope it's around the same.

bilash31

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 JKU, '18 GC
To add a diesel to the Ram 1500 is a $3200 option. I hope it's around the same.
Yeah but the GC is $4500. And that comes standard auto. Wrangler will need both added. I expect at least the $4500.

Sponsored

bilash31

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 JKU, '18 GC
I want this Wrangler to last for 20 years at least. My understand is a diesel is more durable and I know better mpg than gas. So if the premium is 5k I'm still going to go for it.
Have you researched this? If not, you might want to. I am old school and was of the same mindset. But the more I research, the more that longevity seems to not necessarily be achievable with all the emission controls, regents, etc. except under certain operating conditions.

Nihkole

First Name
Nichole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have you researched this? If not, you might want to. I am old school and was of the same mindset. But the more I research, the more that longevity seems to not necessarily be achievable with all the emission controls, regents, etc. except under certain operating conditions.
I'll look at all the info again, it's been awhile since I've done my research because I've been waiting this long My s/o has an older Dodge Ram with a Cummins and he's had no issues with the engine. I know a Cummins is in a different realm but he's pretty confident I'll get at least more longevity than the Pentastar.

W1ck3d

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl rubicon
Usually all the car manufacturers now adays will start building the 19s earlier... I believe the model changeover for jeep is in October so they will probably start rolling them out around then

Joe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Usually all the car manufacturers now adays will start building the 19s earlier... I believe the model changeover for jeep is in October so they will probably start rolling them out around then
They were originally slated to begin arriving at dealers in April 2019.