Switch cover for CoolTech wiring harness

bwilliam79

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F-150, 2018 JLUR
Thought I'd share a simple modification I made to the toggle switch for the @CoolTech wiring harness on the new JL. I installed the switch a few weeks ago and had a couple of incidents where the switch was accidentally flipped to the "Tow" position, so I decided to add a toggle switch cover to protect it.

Thanks to @Rhinebeck01 for the kind feedback and recommendation to post here.

This is the switch cover I went with, but there are several options and different colors to choose from: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001TJAWDG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Step 1: Remove retaining nut and washer to detach the switch from the mounting bracket. I used a 14mm wrench to get the nut off so I could remove the switch. If you're doing the initial install of the kit, I'd advise adding the switch cover ahead of time as it's much easier to get a wrench on the nut when the bracket isn't already in place. NOTE: Make sure you keep note of which direction is "Tow" and which is "Jeep" so you reinstall the switch in the correct orientation.
upload_2018-6-11_12-34-33.png

Step 2: The switch I ordered had a small tab on it which is designed to prevent the cover plate from rotating once installed. Unfortunately, the way the switch operated, this left the toggle switch protected when in "Tow" mode, but not when in "Jeep" mode. I took a small file and removed this tab so I could orient the cover in the opposite manner. Once the washer and nut are reinstalled, it will be enough to hold the switch cover in place.
upload_2018-6-11_12-36-47.png

Step 3:
Rotate the switch to your desired orientation and reinstall with the switch cover in place. For my install, I rotated the switch 90 degrees to the right so the switch no longer toggled up/down but rather left/right. In my install, left is "Jeep" and right is "Tow". This results in the switch being protected when in "Jeep" mode and exposed when in "Tow" mode.
upload_2018-6-11_12-43-29.png

Step 4: Drink a beer/whiskey/etc. and marvel at your handiwork.

Jeep mode:
upload_2018-6-11_12-44-11.png

Tow mode:
upload_2018-6-11_12-44-18.png
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@bwilliam79

Very nice write up! Actually, excellent write up. Thanks... I'm sure a lot of guys/gals will appreciate this information.

Ron_H

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara in Punk'n Metallic
Occupation
Retired and spending the kid's inheritance
Thanks for the great post. The switch cover is something Cool Tech should incorporate into their product. It certainly improves the safety aspect of eliminating accidental switching plus it improves the appearance and professional image of the install.

Ron_H

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara in Punk'n Metallic
Occupation
Retired and spending the kid's inheritance
I did a quick search on Amazon for "toggle switch cover" and found them available in a wide variety of colors. I was able to order one in orange, to match my Punk'n Metalic, for only $3.04, including free shipping.

OP
OP
bwilliam79

bwilliam79

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F-150, 2018 JLUR
I did a quick search on Amazon for "toggle switch cover" and found them available in a wide variety of colors. I was able to order one in orange, to match my Punk'n Metalic, for only $3.04, including free shipping.
Awesome! Post pics when you're done. Would love to see the final product.

smoore11

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKZ, BMW X3, Jeep Sahara JL, Newmar Dutchstar 4369
Thought I'd share a simple modification I made to the toggle switch for the @CoolTech wiring harness on the new JL. I installed the switch a few weeks ago and had a couple of incidents where the switch was accidentally flipped to the "Tow" position, so I decided to add a toggle switch cover to protect it.

Thanks to @Rhinebeck01 for the kind feedback and recommendation to post here.

This is the switch cover I went with, but there are several options and different colors to choose from: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001TJAWDG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Step 1: Remove retaining nut and washer to detach the switch from the mounting bracket. I used a 14mm wrench to get the nut off so I could remove the switch. If you're doing the initial install of the kit, I'd advise adding the switch cover ahead of time as it's much easier to get a wrench on the nut when the bracket isn't already in place. NOTE: Make sure you keep note of which direction is "Tow" and which is "Jeep" so you reinstall the switch in the correct orientation.
upload_2018-6-11_12-34-33.png

Step 2: The switch I ordered had a small tab on it which is designed to prevent the cover plate from rotating once installed. Unfortunately, the way the switch operated, this left the toggle switch protected when in "Tow" mode, but not when in "Jeep" mode. I took a small file and removed this tab so I could orient the cover in the opposite manner. Once the washer and nut are reinstalled, it will be enough to hold the switch cover in place.
upload_2018-6-11_12-36-47.png

Step 3:
Rotate the switch to your desired orientation and reinstall with the switch cover in place. For my install, I rotated the switch 90 degrees to the right so the switch no longer toggled up/down but rather left/right. In my install, left is "Jeep" and right is "Tow". This results in the switch being protected when in "Jeep" mode and exposed when in "Tow" mode.
upload_2018-6-11_12-43-29.png

Step 4: Drink a beer/whiskey/etc. and marvel at your handiwork.

Jeep mode:
upload_2018-6-11_12-44-11.png

Tow mode:
upload_2018-6-11_12-44-18.png
Thanks for the great post. I have not had this problem yet, but I have been concerned if the swith got push down which would put it in tow mode.
Sponsored