Sponsored

Wrangler JL (boat) towing experience report

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
The top on the JT will be removable as well. I think it has much more to do with offroad tuned suspension than being a convertible. Look to the Ram powerwagon. It's built on a 3/4 ton 2500 chassis but is rated well lower than the other 3/4 tons.
Sponsored

bobzdar

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Rubicon X 4XE, '23 Defender 130
The top on the JT will be removable as well. I think it has much more to do with offroad tuned suspension than being a convertible. Look to the Ram powerwagon. It's built on a 3/4 ton 2500 chassis but is rated well lower than the other 3/4 tons.
I have a feeling the jt will be outfitted more along the lines of the power soft top with a removable center section - so considered to have more of a huge sunroof than a convertible. I could be wrong, but we'll see. The only precedent of a convertible truck is the Chevy ssr which had a 2500lb tow rating despite having a 6 liter engine and 1300lb payload...

bobzdar

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, it also weighs 500lbs more than a standard 3/4 ton truck due to all the off road equipment so payload and tow rating are reduced because it's partially used up, so it's closer in ratings to a half ton. I looked at them but no long bed and the sheer weight of it ruled it out.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Well, it also weighs 500lbs more than a standard 3/4 ton truck due to all the off road equipment so payload and tow rating are reduced because it's partially used up, so it's closer in ratings to a half ton. I looked at them but no long bed and the sheer weight of it ruled it out.
While that 500 lbs certainly would reduce the towing, the reality is that it is rated at 7,000 lbs less than the gasser non powerwagon 2500. In the end, it really is the suspension that reduces it so much. As Jeepers we all know that flex is King when off-road. However all that flex induces sway and sway is no bueno when towing a trailer. The GC may have a softer suspension but it has no where near the amount of flex and travel as a Wrangler. I'm sure there are multiple things that contribute to the low rating, but to me, the suspension set up is the root cause.

bobzdar

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
While that 500 lbs certainly would reduce the towing, the reality is that it is rated at 7,000 lbs less than the gasser non powerwagon 2500. In the end, it really is the suspension that reduces it so much. As Jeepers we all know that flex is King when off-road. However all that flex induces sway and sway is no bueno when towing a trailer. The GC may have a softer suspension but it has no where near the amount of flex and travel as a Wrangler. I'm sure there are multiple things that contribute to the low rating, but to me, the suspension set up is the root cause.
Well, tongue weight rating is usually 10% of the total, and with 500lbs less available for tongue weight, that equates to 5000lbs less towing. Yeah, not the full 7000lbs, but the majority of it. The other 2000lbs could be suspension and/or cooling, tough to tell.

Sponsored

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Well, tongue weight rating is usually 10% of the total, and with 500lbs less available for tongue weight, that equates to 5000lbs less towing. Yeah, not the full 7000lbs, but the majority of it. The other 2000lbs could be suspension and/or cooling, tough to tell.
I'm gonna stick with my suspension reasoning.. but don't take my word for it

From TFL trucks..
"The suspension uses a single rate coil springs and tuning to provide very good off-road articulation and a comfortable on-road ride. There is a compromise, and it comes as a decreased payload and towing capacities"

https://www.tfltruck.com/2017/03/20...rehensive-guide-maximum-towing-payload-specs/

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Also the JLU is higher than the GC so that might have something to do with it.
Sponsored