NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
I suspect that a lot of people don't really use their Jeeps to the full potential. They buy them because they want the potential *just in case*, but for the most part, the vehicles stay on pavement or something that even a 2WD vehicle could handle if the driver pays attention. That goes even for the 2-door models. Some people might say that the 2-door model is not big enough to be a practical daily driver, claiming the lack of cargo area. On the other hand, these same people will think that a 4-door pickup definitely has cargo capacity. The fact of the matter though is that for the 4-door pickup most people usually just carry stuff in the rear seat area and seldom use the bed of the pickup. So, if you use the rear seats as a cargo area, there's not much difference between that and doing the same thing on a 2-door Jeep other than a slightly narrower cabin area. Looking back over the 14 years that I had my Ram, I would have to say that there were very few times that I actually had passengers in the rear seats and only a couple of times when the rear seat area was occupied and I had luggage in the bed of the truck. Sure, some people fully utilize the cargo carrying capability of their pickups, but I see a lot which have probably seldom had anything under the tonneau cover for the bed of the pickup. And let's not forget, if you are the only one with a pickup amongst your family and friends, you're going to get drafted into helping people move stuff that won't fit in *their* vehicles. :)

Now, if you take a 2-door Wrangler and remove the rear seats, you end up with a 2-person car that has a pretty good size cargo area and it fits into smaller parking spots when you have to parallel park than the 4-door pickup ever would even consider trying to fit in. :)

At least that the logic that I used when I decided to move from a 4-door pickup to a 2-door JL...
Sponsored

Last edited:

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
I suspect that a lot of people don't really use their Jeeps to the full potential. They buy them because they want the potential *just in case*, but for the most part, the vehicles stay on pavement or something that even a 2WD vehicle could handle if the driver pays attention. That goes even for the 2-door models. Some people might say that the 2-door model is not big enough to be a practical daily driver, claiming the lack of cargo area. On the other hand, these same people will think that a 4-door pickup definitely has cargo capacity. The fact of the matter though is that for the 4-door pickup most people usually just carry stuff in the rear seat area and seldom use the bed of the pickup. So, if you use the rear seats as a cargo area, there's not much difference between that and doing the same thing on a 2-door Jeep other than a slightly narrower cabin area. Looking back over the 14 years that I had my Ram, I would have to say that there were very few times that I actually had passengers in the rear seats and only a couple of times when the rear seat area was occupied and I had luggage in the bed of the truck. Sure, some people fully utilize the cargo carrying capability of their pickups, but I see a lot which have probably seldom had anything under the tonneau cover for the bed of the pickup. And let's not forget, if you are the only one with a pickup amongst your family and friends, you're going to get drafted into helping people move stuff that won't fit in *their* vehicles. :)

Now, if you take a 2-door Wrangler and remove the rear seats, you end up with a 2-person car that has a pretty good size cargo area and it fits into smaller parking spots when you have to parallel park than the 4-door pickup every would even consider trying to fit in. :)

At least that the logic that I used when I decided to move from a 4-door pickup to a 2-door JL...
BINGO---I'm pretty much same-

My main reason to goto 2dr/from 4dr, was there are relatively few reasons now for me to use the jeep on the freeway--

With the RAM I have all the cargo/convenience and overlanding ability of the RAM--I can use JUST THE JEEP in the desert, where my Nv house is-The SIERRAs are SO CLOSE-

Whatever

JIMBO

Jimac

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
BINGO---I'm pretty much same-

My main reason to goto 2dr/from 4dr, was there are relatively few reasons now for me to use the jeep on the freeway--

With the RAM I have all the cargo/convenience and overlanding ability of the RAM--I can use JUST THE JEEP in the desert, where my Nv house is-The SIERRAs are SO CLOSE-

Whatever

JIMBO
Hello JIMBO I am a Jim Bob also 1-24-18 2dr red rubi w/pst When are we ever going to get our Jeeps?

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
RETIRED
Hello JIMBO I am a Jim Bob also 1-24-18 2dr red rubi w/pst When are we ever going to get our Jeeps?
Heh Heh, Hi JIMAC, my order was 1-22-18 and I was just told she should be SHIPPED 6-9-18 and that has a possibility of delivery, to FERNLEY, NV--before 7-1-18--

I'm really looking forward toit, but I'm not on "PINS & NEEDLES" --I'm just ready forit !

Whatever

JIMBO

Sponsored

Jimac

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Heh Heh, Hi JIMAC, my order was 1-22-18 and I was just told she should be SHIPPED 6-9-18 and that has a possibility of delivery, to FERNLEY, NV--before 7-1-18--

I'm really looking forward toit, but I'm not on "PINS & NEEDLES" --I'm just ready forit !

Whatever

JIMBO
I was told June 4 build but I see on track site neither one of our build sheets or stickers have been found as of today

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
RETIRED
I was told June 4 build but I see on track site neither one of our build sheets or stickers have been found as of today
I guess only the great JEEP GOD knows what FCA is doing with our orders-

Kinda like getting up early on XMAS morning--looking for ???

Whatever

JIMBO

Jimac

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I guess only the great JEEP GOD knows what FCA is doing with our orders-

Kinda like getting up early on XMAS morning--looking for ???

Whatever

JIMBO
Yes I hope Santa can deliver before July 24 never went six weeks on a factory order before let alone 6 months!

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Just got back home from the dealership after completing my order and giving him a credit card to make a deposit.

Jeep JL "Sport"
2-door
red, black cloth interior
hard top
air-conditioning
anti-slip differential
Bridgestone AT tires

Need to sign up for the "tread lightly" thing to get the full 5% under invoice though...

$29,622 sales price
+TTL and other BS fees
= $31,894.14 drive out
+$100 for the "tread lightly" membership :(

jman

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A van and a boring car
If it's really orange , why then are both the red hook on the front bumper , and the red tail light lens , both the same red as in the photo ? The front fender orange turn signal light is orange . lol . Memo to @jman : it's red , bro .
Umm okay

Sponsored

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Just got back home from the dealership after completing my order and giving him a credit card to make a deposit.

Jeep JL "Sport"
2-door
red, black cloth interior
hard top
air-conditioning
anti-slip differential
Bridgestone AT tires

Need to sign up for the "tread lightly" thing to get the full 5% under invoice though...

$29,622 sales price
+TTL and other BS fees
= $31,894.14 drive out
+$100 for the "tread lightly" membership :(
Good move . So , as you have sold your other wheels , what are you driving whilst waiting ?

jasceni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Ocean Blue
I'm almost ready to order my first new jeep. It's gonna be a ocean blue, 2 door, fully loaded Rubicon, manual, obviously a V6. Just wondering if anyone has actually received a 2 door yet?
Thanks!
Picked her up a week ago

20180601_151444.jpg

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Good move . So , as you have sold your other wheels , what are you driving whilst waiting ?
If just myself and my bum knee is not acting up on me too much, then normally my Harley FLHPI. I also have a BMW 335d that my wife normally drives. She left for Europe for 3 weeks on Thursday. I also have 2 other bikes to ride, but they have carbs which hate ethanol in gasoline, so the carbs need overhauling (again). The Harley has fuel injection, so it's a lot more dependable.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
If just myself and my bum knee is not acting up on me too much, then normally my Harley FLHPI. I also have a BMW 335d that my wife normally drives. She left for Europe for 3 weeks on Thursday. I also have 2 other bikes to ride, but they have carbs which hate ethanol in gasoline, so the carbs need overhauling (again). The Harley has fuel injection, so it's a lot more dependable.
I always follow Harleys at a respectful distance , at their speed , to protect their blind spot to their rear , to have their back so to speak .

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I was thinking that the 2-door JL was still not that long which is one of the reasons that I wanted it. I knew it was 166.6" in length and that was most definitely shorter than my Ram 1500, but I looked up the length on the XJ that I used to own to see how it compared to that and they are basically the same length. The XJ that I had is listed as 166.9" -- only 0.3" shorter. There's a bit more of a difference in the wheelbase though -- 96.8" vs 101.4". For some reason, I was thinking that the JL would have been a lot shorter than the old XJ, but maybe I'm just so used to seeing the older Wranglers (TJ, YJ, CJ) that I just automatically assumed the JL would be a lot shorter also.
Sponsored