SOON

SOON

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Willys 4XE
I am going through the same dilemma. However, I figured I should just get the rubicon as it comes with the lockers from the factory. Besides, if I got a sport I wouldn’t mod it past a rubicon level anyway and I wouldn’t have much of a factory warranty left if I did. Therefore, I vote rubicon.
Very good point!
Sponsored

kre62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite
Very good point!
Another vote for Rubicon. As a former Sport owner who wasted a ton of time trying to catch up to some of the Rubicon features, I realized it isn't worth it. Get the Rubi and have the look and capability from day 1.

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
I am going through the same dilemma. However, I figured I should just get the rubicon as it comes with the lockers from the factory. Besides, if I got a sport I wouldn’t mod it past a rubicon level anyway and I wouldn’t have much of a factory warranty left if I did. Therefore, I vote rubicon.
If you want the capability of the Rubicon, (you wanna wheel hard on 35's), and don't care to take it further than that, buying a Rubicon is an excellent choice. Much cheaper than aftermarket and retains warranty.

It's when people buy a brand new Rubicon just to throw away every suspension and drivetrain component in preparation for 40's that it gets a bit silly.

If one just wants light offroading on 32's or 33's, the lower trims are a great way to go without breaking the bank as hard.

There's a lot of choice in the lineup, when you think about it. A Wrangler for everyone!

shakooza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
It all boils down to a single question - Will you ever use the Rubicon as intended or is it a "status symbol" to you? A Sport Jeep or Tacoma with lift, tread and a quality driver will take you over the vast majority of the terrain you will face.

The only compelling arguments I can find for a Rubicon are for the people that have zero concerns bashing up a brand new 50k vehicle or for people that plan to buy a Rubicon, keep it forever and wheel it hard years down the road after they have another primary vehicle...These are both legitimate buying groups and I fall into the second category (not taking shots at Rubicon owners as I plan to buy one).

Im an old guy and I've watched too many guys using their daily drivers roll their Jeeps and or absolutely destroy them on difficult trails. I cant even count the number of times I've heard guys say "I wonder how Im going to get to work on Monday" after they just fragged their daily driver....

I would personally rather buy a new Sport and then drop 10k on a wheeling specific rig if I wanted to do any level of serious wheeling currently. I can bash a wheeling specific rig to smithereens and let it sit in my garage until I want to fix it.

The ego is a powerful force and you will find that it will make you spend 10k extra in a heartbeat to look cool, however...

Ruby Jack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
I can confirm the manual drives like a dream. Second manual Jeep I've had and about my 5th manual vehicle over all. Best MT I've ever driven. First gear is very "short" and 6th gear is really "tall". But it moves effortlessly between gears and the torque curve is designed well.
Yep. I have yet to even see 6th on mine. Even at 70 MPH I'd say 5th is the optimum choice (it's still only at like 3k RPM).

Sponsored

OP
OP
SOON

SOON

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Willys 4XE
It all boils down to a single question - Will you ever use the Rubicon as intended or is it a "status symbol" to you?

A Sport Jeep or Tacoma with lift, tread and a quality driver will take you over the vast majority of the terrain you will face. The only compelling arguments I can find for a Rubicon are for the people that have zero concerns bashing up a brand new 50k vehicle or for people that plan to buy a Rubicon, keep it forever and wheel it hard years down the road after they have another primary vehicle...These are both legitimate buying groups and I fall into the second category (not taking shots at Rubicon owners).

Im an old guy and I've watched too many guys using their daily drivers roll their Jeeps and or absolutely destroy them on difficult trails. I cant even count the number of times I've heard guys say "I wonder how Im going to get to work on Monday" after they just fragged their daily driver....

I would personally rather buy a new Sport and then drop 10k on a wheeling specific rig if I wanted to do any level of serious wheeling currently. I can bash a wheeling specific rig to smithereens and let it sit in my garage until I want to fix it.

The ego is a powerful force and you will find that it will make you spend 10k extra in a heartbeat, however...
For me it’s not about “looking cool” or anything like that. I can see myself doing the things the Wrangler is capable of doing because... it’s capable of doing it. Now whether I do it and fall in love with that and make it an every weekend thing is still to be determined. I know I’m not gonna be trying to rock crawl over 4 foot boulders but some challenging trails with some obstacle sounds like fun. If it turns out that I try it and it’s not for me then I got a mall crawler. Lol. I love the idea of the fun things I can do. From hitting some trails to taking off the top and doors and driving up hwy 1. But I’m not interested in buying the “top of the line model” just to say look at me. My whole should I or shouldn’t I between the Rubicon and a sport is if I get the sport am I gonna be kicking myself if I end up loving going off road and can’t quite do what I want because my Jeep is lacking. If I get he rubicon I’ll have the capability for almost anything but what if I don’t like wheeling? Did I just blow 10k? ...... Either way I’m gambling. Lol

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
For me it’s not about “looking cool” or anything like that. I can see myself doing the things the Wrangler is capable of doing because... it’s capable of doing it. Now whether I do it and fall in love with that and make it an every weekend thing is still to be determined. I know I’m not gonna be trying to rock crawl over 4 foot boulders but some challenging trails with some obstacle sounds like fun. If it turns out that I try it and it’s not for me then I got a mall crawler. Lol. I love the idea of the fun things I can do. From hitting some trails to taking off the top and doors and driving up hwy 1. But I’m not interested in buying the “top of the line model” just to say look at me. My whole should I or shouldn’t I between the Rubicon and a sport is if I get the sport am I gonna be kicking myself if I end up loving going off road and can’t quite do what I want because my Jeep is lacking. If I get he rubicon I’ll have the capability for almost anything but what if I don’t like wheeling? Did I just blow 10k? ...... Either way I’m gambling. Lol
Again, don't be under the idea that a non-Rubicon can "barely go offroad". They're extremely capable in stock form. The Rubicon trim didn't even exist until 2003. I've beat the hell out of stock YJs and TJs, and the JL is much more capable than those.

A base Sport with the anti-spin package will be more capable offroad than a Tacoma TRD Pro. Food for thought.

OP
OP
SOON

SOON

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Willys 4XE
Again, don't be under the idea that a non-Rubicon can "barely go offroad". They're extremely capable in stock form. The Rubicon trim didn't even exist until 2003. I've beat the hell out of stock YJs and TJs, and the JL is much more capable than those.

A base Sport with the anti-spin package will be more capable offroad than a Tacoma TRD Pro. Food for thought.
I guess the question is (and I’d guess it’s impossible to answer cause there are way too many factors to concider) how much more capable is a rubicon than a sport? I know all the equipment it has on it that the sport doesn’t. But I don’t know how that will factor to me.

It’s like I’m saying I’m gonna be a football player. And someone says great. What position are you gonna play? And I say I don’t know yet. Lmao.

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I guess the question is (and I’d guess it’s impossible to answer cause there are way too many factors to concider) how much more capable is a rubicon than a sport? I know all the equipment it has on it that the sport doesn’t. But I don’t know how that will factor to me.

It’s like I’m saying I’m gonna be a football player. And someone says great. What position are you gonna play? And I say I don’t know yet. Lmao.
A Sport is very, very capable offroad. A Rubicon is extremely extremely capable offroad. Maybe that's the best way to describe it, haha.

If you're planning on Moab-level wheeling, a Rubicon is a good choice. If you're not, and don't feel the need to flash your cash on a Rubi, well, Sports are great! I'm planning on a 2 door 6MT Sport myself. I have no interest in a fifty thousand dollar Wrangler.

kre62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite

Its a ton of little things that make the Rubi the better option, in my opinion, that go beyond just the capability discussion. There's a ton more standard equipment and really good options. One example is the infotainment group which not only adds the alpine stereo but adds acoustic laminated glass and active noise cancellation. Beyond that there are a ton of little features that make the jeep more livable.

On capability, yeah the sport does great, but the Rubicon inspires additional confidence that you can't get in a Sport. If you wheel a sport up a rock, you may make it if you pick a good line, mash the accelerator, pray the tires lock up, etc. In the meantime you are bunny hopping, spinning tires, and not looking like a boss. In a Rubi, you just lock the axles and crawl up it nice and easy, nice and smooth. In addition, you can get out of bad situations easier in a rubicon due to lockers. Not to mention the high fenders, which sets you up for larger tires, beefier axels, and a gear ratio that increases acceleration and general drivability. You also get BFG k02s stock, as well as better suspension, 4:1 ratio, sway bar disconnect...the list goes on.

Sponsored

TXRobD

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Toyota Tacoma, 2018 JLUR Sting Gray
I got the Rubicon because it already has the stuff on it that I would have eventually added to a Sport. It comes with 33" tires and it has enough clearance for me to drive over most obstacles when wheeling. I will eventually get larger tires and possibly a lift but not until I wear out these 33's.

maguro

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'n JLUR
If you can afford it, just get it over with and get the Rubicon.

The Rubicon is very versatile in that it can handle terrain which 99% of other vehicles can only dream of. And yet, the features which make it so off road capable do not deter if from being a decent daily driver.

With that being said, if you have a local Jeep club, you should see if you could tag along as a passenger during one of their group rides. You may just find that a Sport is more than capable for your comfort zone.

OP
OP
SOON

SOON

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Willys 4XE
I got the Rubicon because it already has the stuff on it that I would have eventually added to a Sport. It comes with 33" tires and it has enough clearance for me to drive over most obstacles when wheeling. I will eventually get larger tires and possibly a lift but not until I wear out these 33's.
This is the route I’m thinking of going. Drive stock for a while. Buy a 35 inch tire each or every other month. By the time I have 5 tires I should know how crazy I want to get off road and that will determine what lift I get for the new tires.

kre62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite
If you can afford it, just get it over with and get the Rubicon.

The Rubicon is very versatile in that it can handle terrain which 99% of other vehicles can only dream of. And yet, the features which make it so off road capable do not deter if from being a decent daily driver.

With that being said, if you have a local Jeep club, you should see if you could tag along as a passenger during one of their group rides. You may just find that a Sport is more than capable for your comfort zone.

Id say from a production standpoint it's 100%. I cant think of a single other vehicle more capable than the Rubicon stock. Even the Merc G 4x4^2 wont do the rock crawling the Rubi will.

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Buy a Sport, get a $2000 dollar lift, 35s, and whatever else you want for the rest of the $10,000 you saved. Better yet get a discounted 2018 or 2017 JK. That's what I wish I did.
Dealer accessories (lift, wheels, etc) are out of pocket. Lease #s are based on Msrp.
Sponsored

Last edited: