NavyNick

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR & '08 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
Awesome, I’ll have to look for that. Thanks! Do you have a link?
Sponsored

Forgettable1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I thought in the video posted on Facebook that showed off the jl Gobi rack said that it had a hinged design that would allow the windshield to go down?
Ive seen that video. The guy HAS to be wrong. Looking at the attachment points it cant pivot, and even if it did, it would overshoot the bumpers on the hood and the reat of the rack would be unsupported. Gobi tied into the hinge as an anchor point instead of having a huge ass bracket. Clever.

Onions

First Name
GW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
The Gobi lighting systems -alone- on the example that I provided photos of, were a hair under $4k. There were a few other components, such as the extended rack, quick-release, etc. The rack is $1,795 ,per the site, but, the full set-up in the photos is over $6k. Damn.

Sponsored

NewsShooter

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n Wrangler
Not heavy duty but yakima with rain gutter mounts will hold up well. I've got some that have been on three different vehicles carrying bike, and kayaks for over 30 years.

ryandamartini

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Screw it. Going with GOBI this time. Only one that lets me use the soft top properly.

msujedi

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S Firecracker Red, 2014 Durango, 1999 Honda CRV
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you. At least I know what I'm waiting for now. Does anyone know who makes those for the JK?
Here's a budget one for the JK. It is a similar design to a few other brands (Barricade & Smittybilt SRC I believe). The cross rails are tightened down with knob bolts by hand. Removing the cross bars would let you move a soft top up and down. Depending on the length of your surfboard, you could probably leave the cross rails off & transport the board on just the front & rear bars. If the bolt holes from the missing cross rails whistle or howl, I bet you'd be able to find some rubber plugs for them.

I apparently neglected to include the link ... https://www.trailfx.com/trailfx/products-for-jeep/roof-racks/TrailFX-Roof-Rack-J029T--TLFJ029T

Last edited:

spblat

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Website
irace.net
Vehicle(s)
Golf R
Screw it. Going with GOBI this time. Only one that lets me use the soft top properly.
By "properly" do you mean taking everything off the rack and levering the whole assembly out of the way in order to stow or raise the soft top? I'm not saying there's a better way, but I don't like it. Not one bit.

subaruski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Golf R
Any rack suggestions for a hard top JLU to run a CVT or Tepui tent on top of it?

After some light research it appears that none of the top mount rack will be able to carry the additional load of a tent setup.

So that being said is the Gobi the only option right now?

Sponsored

rizej

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Any rack suggestions for a hard top JLU to run a CVT or Tepui tent on top of it?

After some light research it appears that none of the top mount rack will be able to carry the additional load of a tent setup.

That is the best current option. When Rhino Rack comes out with their Backbone system that will also work but they have not given out any information regarding a date/price

ryandamartini

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
By "properly" do you mean taking everything off the rack and levering the whole assembly out of the way in order to stow or raise the soft top? I'm not saying there's a better way, but I don't like it. Not one bit.
I dont typically keep it loaded. This way I could have a rack and use the top. If it was fully loaded, I wouldn't take the top down. I just don't want to put it on a hard top. If I was doing that, I would've kept my 4Runner.

Mattyp1214

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLUR

I’m going to get the backbone from rhino, and run a tepui. I don’t like the bulk look of the Gobi. Little too safari looking for me personally, but everyone who has them loves them. Aesthetically I just can’t handle it

rizej

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I’m going to get the backbone from rhino, and run a tepui. I don’t like the bulk look of the Gobi. Little too safari looking for me personally, but everyone who has them loves them. Aesthetically I just can’t handle it
Agreed. Too bad they won't be releasing any products until the end of summer... (or so we have heard mentioned on here a couple times) :headbang:

subaruski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Golf R
Does the current Rhino backbone setup on the JKU require you to drill through the hardtop at all?

Sponsored