Sponsored

The path that leads me to consider a Jeep JL Sport

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
In other news this guy thinks that anyone who wants a new 4Runner should definitely get a TRD Pro.... Genius.

You don't seem to recognize that not everyone needs heavy heavy duty offroad equipment (this guy is not gonna get use out of a front Dana 44, lockers, and a 4:1 transfer case...), and the much higher initial purchase price and potentially replacement price that will come with it.

You ignore that financing eight grand more means something to some people. You claim resale when residual value comparisons alone prove you flat wrong. For some people, they're already at the top of their budget, and that's not something to ignore. A lot of members here appear to have endless pockets. Not every Wrangler buyer has endless cash to pointlessly flash. You deride "Sport lovers". Sport lovers get all the enjoyment of the Wrangler without buying things they don't personally desire. You know what's dumber than that? Rubicon lovers who try to upsell everyone, soccer moms included, for. no. reason.

It sounds like you are very, very happy with your Rubicon. Enjoy it! It sounds like it makes a lot of sense for YOU in YOUR situation.
Sponsored

Ruby Jack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Thanks all, there is a lot of info to process here...

A local dealer contacted my today and said that a 2-door Sport JL arrived with these options:

8–Speed Automatic Transmission
Deep Tint Sunscreen Windows
Air Conditioning
Black Freedom Top® 3–Piece Hard Top

I think it is the first 2-door Sport JL in the area - all the others have been Rubicons... Will get a look tomorrow.

I'm waiting for a standard shift Sport JL to arrive at another local dealer.

Thanks again for all your comments.
I suggest going with the standard if you can. You'll save $2k and the standard tranny is the smoothest I've ever driven in a SUV. I have the 4 dr m/t and the clutch is butter smooth and light as are the throws. The 2dr will probably be even smoother given the vehicle will be a couple hundred pounds lighter.

My ideal set up would be a 2dr JLR with the 2.0T engine and m/t. Too bad that combo is impossible. :(

kre62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite
In other news this guy thinks that anyone who wants a new 4Runner should definitely get a TRD Pro.... Genius.

You don't seem to recognize that not everyone needs heavy heavy duty offroad equipment (this guy is not gonna get use out of a front Dana 44, lockers, and a 4:1 transfer case...), and the much higher initial purchase price and potentially replacement price that will come with it.

You ignore that financing eight grand more means something to some people. You claim resale when residual value comparisons alone prove you flat wrong. For some people, they're already at the top of their budget, and that's not something to ignore. A lot of members here appear to have endless pockets. Not every Wrangler buyer has endless cash to pointlessly flash. You deride "Sport lovers". Sport lovers get all the enjoyment of the Wrangler without buying things they don't personally desire. You know what's dumber than that? Rubicon lovers who try to upsell everyone, soccer moms included, for. no. reason.

It sounds like you are very, very happy with your Rubicon. Enjoy it! It sounds like it makes a lot of sense for YOU in YOUR situation.

First off, it's not an 8K difference. We are comparing whatever his current offer on a lot sport is to an ordered Rubi at 5% under invoice. Yes, he could order a sport but who would do that? We are comparing his current reality to an ordered Rubi.

Next, on resale I have personally experienced this. I had a 2015 2dr Sport that had an MSRP of 33k. I took it to carmax and they offered me 23K for it. A friend had a 2015 Sahara 2Dr that had an MSRP only a few k higher Carmax offered him 31k for it. So I've seen it first hand. Brand wranglers have a greater pool of available buyers and can have higher resale.

If you buy a Sport, you'll miss out on having a ton of options that come stock on the Rubi. You'll also spend money trying to get it up to par, like buying meaty tires, upgrading the stereo system in futility, and chasing after making the jeep closer to a Rubi. At the end of the day you will not save any money, this I promise you.

Get the Rubi, add the Infotainment group and nothing else, and be way ahead of the game. And if you ever go off road, you can be more confident that you can always use those lockers to help get out of extra sticky situations. That confidence is priceless.

***EDIT TO ADD***

This post on the JL Wrangler Facebook Group is a prime example of what I'm talking about:

"This is probably a stupid question but here goes, the JLU Sport does not have the same axles as the Rubicon so I'm wondering, if I'm regearing for larger tires (on a sport) should I also swap out the axles? Its my daily driver but I also wheel at least a couple times a month"

You think you only need a sport now..and then you fall in love with wheeling...and then you want bigger tires..and then you need new axles, and new gears, and highline fenders, and....the list goes on and on. You may think all you need is a sport now, but within a few months you will be eyeing upgrades.

Last edited:

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

i got my JKUS for $32k including the auto trans and the anti-slip package. im thinking at a minimum it would be $38 to $40k for a JLUR auto. then, for us, add 10% sales tax...

i was already stretching my toy budget at $32k. i was initially shopping for a wrangler at under $20k lol. this is another weekend toy car. already have a driveway full of cars. i was lucky to get the Mrs on board at this price. i plan to probably throw a Rubi take off lift on it and some rubi size tires and go have some fun with it. if i decide i need more then in a few years maybe upgrade to a Rubi.

my buddy is a die hard jeep guy. he has a slightly build TJ Sahara with LSD. he said he has never gotten stuck to the point he would need lockers and has no plans to add them. from what i read in my research, everyone kept saying that bone stock wrangler can handle what 90% of the owners off-roading. that sold me on getting a Sport. id love a Rubi but not interested in a $700 a month car payment lol.

also, as for resale, i cant really say much either way but everyone kept saying stay away from used Rubicons. that they get beat on. most of the ones i was looking at (TJs) were quite modded and had CBs which means they were well used (properly).

we were just having this discussion the other day (with my wife). if we should have sprang for the Rubi. even if it was only $5k more i still wouldnt feel comfortable. if it was $2-3k, then possibly/probably. i do know that you get quite a bit more for your money. will you use it? that depends on each buyer. most buyers, probably not. just like most vette owners probably never go over 110mph.

if you can swing the Rubi payment/price, then go for it. its not like you will be sorry. no one every bought a Rubi and said "i wish i bought a Sport" lol. except maybe the college girl who hates the cost of gas and the insurance (if any more).

Sponsored

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

First off, it's not an 8K difference. We are comparing whatever his current offer on a lot sport is to an ordered Rubi at 5% under invoice. Yes, he could order a sport but who would do that? We are comparing his current reality to an ordered Rubi.

Next, on resale I have personally experienced this. I had a 2015 2dr Sport that had an MSRP of 33k. I took it to carmax and they offered me 23K for it. A friend had a 2015 Sahara 2Dr that had an MSRP only a few k higher Carmax offered him 31k for it. So I've seen it first hand. Brand wranglers have a greater pool of available buyers and can have higher resale.

If you buy a Sport, you'll miss out on having a ton of options that come stock on the Rubi. You'll also spend money trying to get it up to par, like buying meaty tires, upgrading the stereo system in futility, and chasing after making the jeep closer to a Rubi. At the end of the day you will not save any money, this I promise you.

Get the Rubi, add the Infotainment group and nothing else, and be way ahead of the game. And if you ever go off road, you can be more confident that you can always use those lockers to help get out of extra sticky situations. That confidence is priceless.

***EDIT TO ADD***

This post on the JL Wrangler Facebook Group is a prime example of what I'm talking about:

"This is probably a stupid question but here goes, the JLU Sport does not have the same axles as the Rubicon so I'm wondering, if I'm regearing for larger tires (on a sport) should I also swap out the axles? Its my daily driver but I also wheel at least a couple times a month"

You think you only need a sport now..and then you fall in love with wheeling...and then you want bigger tires..and then you need new axles, and new gears, and highline fenders, and....the list goes on and on. You may think all you need is a sport now, but within a few months you will be eyeing upgrades.
that depends on how far the rabbit hole the owner decides to go. do they plan to go apeshit and buy every aftermarket item available? or like me, mild lift and bigger tires? the only way i plan to swap out my bumpers for $1k versions is if i happen to damage mine. im looking for mild trail driving. nothing crazy, no real rock crawling.

even then, they say if you plan to go all out, get a Sport because youre wasting your $ on a Rubi. the hardcore guys end up swapping out much of the stock Rubi parts anyways. some even the lockers. kind of like the guys who buy a GT500 and strip them out and even yank the motor and trans and make an all out drag car. they could have just bought a V6 with a blown motor and saved a ton of cash. they say a Rubi is great for those who plan to leave it stock and wheel it as is. but every Rubi spec item can be improved via the aftermarket and many end up doing that.

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.

***EDIT TO ADD***

You sure seem hellbent on assuming every Wrangler buyer is trying to wheel on 35's or higher. They're not. Such as the OP.

Everyone doesn't need to buy a Rubicon on the possibility (assumption?) that they'll become madly in love with rock crawling on big tires. That's just not true for everyone.

"He could order a sport but who would do that". Ask around on this forum. Plenty have.

You've tripled down on being fundamentally wrong on several points, so I'm not sure how much farther my line of dialogue can go with you.

Like I said, enjoy your Rubicon. It works for your specific needs (not everyone else's).

kre62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite
You sure seem hellbent on assuming every Wrangler buyer is trying to wheel on 35's or higher. They're not. Such as the OP.

Everyone doesn't need to buy a Rubicon on the possibility (assumption?) that they'll become madly in love with rock crawling on big tires. That's just not true for everyone.

"He could order a sport but who would do that". Ask around on this forum. Plenty have.

You've tripled down on being fundamentally wrong on several points, so I'm not sure how much farther my line of dialogue can go with you.

Like I said, enjoy your Rubicon. It works for your specific needs (not everyone else's).

You are claiming I'm wrong on the resale but haven't shown any data. I have real world experience on my side.

And I also know that the general public know Rubicons and look down hard on Sports. To some, it's important to have that coolness factor.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
You are claiming I'm wrong on the resale but haven't shown any data. I have real world experience on my side.

And I also know that the general public know Rubicons and look down hard on Sports. To some, it's important to have that coolness factor.
You haven't shown any data either. Just your opinion based on your experience of 2-3 of the millions of Wranglers sold. People look down on Sports lol. That's a new one in decades I've been around Jeeps.

Now that you took this guys thread so far off track it's getting ready to be closed.

Last edited:

jhonn236_AZ

First Name
Jhonn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sting Gray Rubicon
here's the thread about resell value - looks like sports are winning. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/do-rubicons-really-have-better-resale-value.2719/

I did, however buy a Rubicon. But I do agree with @That One Guy that Rubicons are not for everyone. I had a Sport JK and I did just fine with my "crazy" off-roading. If the OP doesn't plan on doing any crazy rock crawling, his Sport will do just fine.

To the OP.

You haven't shown any data either. Just your opinion based on your experience of 2-3 of the millions of Wranglers sold. People look down on Sports lol. That's a new one in decades I've been around Jeeps.

Now that you took this guys thread so far off track it's getting ready to be closed.
don't close the thread, close his account! :giggle:

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Enjoy your Rubicon, cool guy!

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
I've owned a YJ base model, TJ Sahara, JK Rubicon, JKU Sport, and a JK Sport. There was no significant difference in resale value if you compare purchase price vs residual value and use a percentage instead of a dollar figure.

I loved all of the Wranglers and wheeled all of them. I modded all of them including the Rubicon, a Jeep is never "finished". Something's going to break and have to be upgraded. Now that I live in an area without huge rocks a lightly modded Sport is more usable. I'll take crank windows and less electronic crap every day.

I've never had anyone ask me if my Sport is a Rubicon. Most of the time I got "cool Jeep" in all the iterations I owned. I debadge all my Wranglers anyway. I'm just waiting for FCA to work the first year gremlins out before I commit to a JL.

A Rubicon won't make you any "cooler" unless you trade in a Prius. Then it works.

keviper

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler Winter Edition

Relax man, you're killing this thread.

You quite literally have been wrong about everything you've said, so just stop.
Sponsored