AG30

First Name
Akil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Sahara JLU, Ducati Monster 796
Hey Everyone,

I am just on my way to the store to get some engine oil for my 2018 2.0T and wanted some quick thoughts. I have been using Penzoil Platinum with no issues, but was interested in trying Penzoil Ultra Platinum. Will the Ultra Platinum oil work well for my jeep, or should I stick to the Penzoil Platinum?

Thank for the advice.
Sponsored

SnowyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Sport S
I used to use Platinum, but for my latest oil change I used the Ultra Platinum. I check my oil regularly and interestingly this time around my oil has turned darker than it had before with this much mileage/oil life. Not sure what to make of that.

Either way, both oils meet/exceed the requirements for the 2.0T. They have the SP rating, which is backwards compatible with SN Plus (which is probably what your 2018's owner's manual asks for).

My recommendation is to go with whichever is on sale.

OP
OP
AG30

AG30

First Name
Akil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They are both literally within dollars of each other on sale. So maybe I'll try Ultra this time
Thanks

dpike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR 3.6
i use the ultra and it works well in my 3.6. i remember reading somewhere that the ultra was considerably better than the platinum because of the refining process, but there's so many internet oil myths that im not so sure.

gahammerle

First Name
Gordy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
I switch between Platinum & Ultra Platinum for my 2010 Camaro depending on which one is on sale or available (usually Platinum). I have over 200k miles on the car, so I'd say either is a good choice.

Sponsored

OP
OP
AG30

AG30

First Name
Akil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i use the ultra and it works well in my 3.6. i remember reading somewhere that the ultra was considerably better than the platinum because of the refining process, but there's so many internet oil myths that im not so sure.
The chart on the Penzoil website seems to suggest it should work in the same way if not better. But, I am not the most knowledgeable about this kind of stuff to be honest.

Valpo Jeep

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mas Ghibli, 18 JLU, 05 Gulfstream RV
Don't have that engine but what I can find is that you need an oil that meets MS-13340 spec. Check the bottle for that spec.

MntsRcalln

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2011 Dodge Ram Bighorn, 1990 Totoya 4x4 Mod
I switched to Vavoline Extended Protection in my 2.0. Much quieter on start up.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Project Farm compared a lot of oils. PP Ultra flowed very well in extreme cold. If you live up north or in the mountains that’s something to keep in mind. A darker oil color usually indicates the the detergent package is doing it’s work.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Don't have that engine but what I can find is that you need an oil that meets MS-13340 spec. Check the bottle for that spec.
MS-13340 is a corporate spec and not really important at all.

Sponsored

OP
OP
AG30

AG30

First Name
Akil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Project Farm compared a lot of oils. PP Ultra flowed very well in extreme cold. If you live up north or in the mountains that’s something to keep in mind. A darker oil color usually indicates the the detergent package is doing it’s work.
Thank you. This is good to know as I am definitely in a cold area. Much appreciated.

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
Another vote for Pennzoil Ultra Platinum.

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
The new ultra platinum is also API SP which supersedes the the API SN+. I stuck with the platinum before because it was lacking the cert until recently. Gonna try it out next oil change.

rhocking

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler 2.0T JLU Sport S
The new ultra platinum is also API SP which supersedes the the API SN+. I stuck with the platinum before because it was lacking the cert until recently. Gonna try it out next oil change.
The oil cap may still say API SN PLUS depending on year of Jeep. I pulled the manuals for various years. The MY2020 manual says MS-13340 or API SN PLUS. The MY2021 manual says API SP/GF-6 and the MY2023 manual says API SP/GF 6A.

The API SP supersedes API SN PLUS and GF-6A supersedes GF-6.

Mobil-1 5w-30 lists API SP and SN PLUS and MS-13340 (so meets criteria set by Jeep)
Pennzoil Platinum lists GF-6A and API SP and MS-13340 (so meets criteria set by Jeep)
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum lists GF-6A and API SP (not seeing MS-13340 but I think this is a non-issue since it is API SP and GF-6A so it meets criteria set by Jeep since manual updated for MY2023)

mjf4241

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I just drained the oil that came from the manufacturer at 2500 miles and glad I did. I replaced it with Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, and maybe I'm imagining things, but at cold start up the engine is smoother (smooth is relative in direct injection sewing machine of an engine), but definitely smoother than with the manufacturer oil. And it seems that in the first 150 miles since the oil change mileage is a little better (according to the computer). So I'm a fan of Ultra Platinum. Plan on running it for the lifetime of this Jeep (hopefully for many many years).

And I have a 2024 Wrangler. The oil filler cap says 5w30 API SP/GF-6 if anyone is wondering about any changes to the 2024 model year and oil recommendations.
Sponsored