Sponsored

Most economical way to add some pep to my Wrangler?

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
The matrix may require rebooting. Turaven is the OP, but #116 says otherwise.

hk1s post.jpg
He made a pic of him posting as the OP his profile pic. I don't know why you'd do that, but it confuses people in a bunch of threads (I guess I answered my own question).

Old Jeeper

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Port Charlotte, FL, Naples Fl, 17 Oaks Ranch, Tex
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLR-X 2023 JLR, 2021 JTR. 20 F 450 KR,
Occupation
US Army Infantry, IT Engineer
Between the abysmal gearing on my sport/6-speed and the limp dick torque of the pentastar, my Jeep always feels sluggish unless you're pumping the eurobeat and shifting at redline constantly like a maniac.

My soul wants to add the center force clutch and a supercharger kit. But that's pushing $10k just in parts with obvious reliability concerns.

Regearing seems like a good idea. A few grand and would "unlock" 5th and 6th gear. As it stands I rarely use more than 4th gear. I have no desire for adding larger tires though, so a 4.88 or something sounds kinda stupid, and going to a 3.73 or 4.10 doesn't sound like it's enough change to be worth the cost when you're not actually gaining power, just cheesing the torque multiplication math.

Just sell my jeep and buy a 2.0L? I really don't like the 2.0L, but it definitely puts down more low-end torque and would definitely be cheaper than a supercharger. Transferring my mods is going to be a pain in the ass though, and it's tough to find lower trim jeeps with the tow/aux switch panel option that I consider necessary equipment.

I'd really consider swapping into an ecodiesel but I don't have drive patterns that jive well with modern diesel engines. Diesel is also ludicrously expensive here.

Those seem the only reasonable options that I can think of. With another clutch fire recall going out in a month and likely no proper fix maybe I just wait for the new 4Runner and enjoy my jeep as-is until then? If they dunk the hybridmax engine in there with 400lb-ft of torque and no faffing around with a plug like the 4xe it sounds like a winner.

Yous guys' thoughts?
You want power and performance. Gonna hand it to you on a platter:

4:56 or 4:88

I ordered the 4:88s on 2023 v6. This is a rocket ship around town, I mean I am the Green light bandit. If we are heads up at the light on a 3 laner and I am far left and need to be far right, light goes green and pull into the shopping center while the rest of them are playing pocket pool back at the light.

I am on 35s but if you stay with 33s the 4:56 will work as well as 4:88s. 4:88 are a BIT much for 33s that come on the Jeep, ask me how I know!

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

5.13's on 37" tires with a ton of weight and seat of pants feel is still better than factory. I added in a pedal commander which makes it jump a bit better as well. I realize that neither of these add HP, he asked about Pep and off the line it feels better and certainly feels better at the 75 to be able to get back to 8th gear. I would look at the Supercharger route, but they have not come out with one for the eTorque yet. I enjoyed the bolt on supercharger on my TJ... Some day I will probably just swap in a 5.7. This is not a go fast vehicle for me and changing the gearing was primarily for better crawling.

XtremeRetard

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
Gears = Torque MULTIPLICATION

In other words more torque to the tire... The engine isnt producing any more, but there is more at the tire... 456 to 538 is 17% more torque to the tire.. Where you will most definitely feel the torque!

No other way to get that level of torque gains at the tires with your v6 for the $2k gear change.

0-60 should also be reduced. But given the auto can just stay in a lower gear with the stock ratio for longer effectively giving the same net gearing, total acceleration gains will be minimal. But it will be much more responsive (like 17% in the example above) in a set gear due to the multiplication.

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Gears = Torque MULTIPLICATION

In other words more torque to the tire... The engine isnt producing any more, but there is more at the tire... 456 to 538 is 17% more torque to the tire.. Where you will most definitely feel the torque!

No other way to get that level of torque gains at the tires with your v6 for the $2k gear change.

0-60 should also be reduced. But given the auto can just stay in a lower gear with the stock ratio for longer effectively giving the same net gearing, total acceleration gains will be minimal. But it will be much more responsive (like 17% in the example above) in a set gear due to the multiplication.
Our 2019 2.0t was a half second slower 0-60 on the same tires going from 4.10s to 5.38s. The torque multiplication in a set gear sounds all well and good, unless you have an AUTO. Torque to the wheels is torque to the wheels. The engine doesn't know how it gets there and won't effect driveability or mileage in my experience. 5.13s in 8th gear are nearly identical to stock 4.10s in 7th. The engine doesn't know the difference. 1st gear on take offs sure, but how much time do you spend there? A few seconds on the average drive.

XtremeRetard

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
Agreed, as I think I mentioned. Net gearing can be the same either way depending.

You were probably losing speed after the change due to all the extra shifts. gear changes require torque and "time to shift" reductions to manage trans temp/life/wear.

It will be an interesting test. In gear acceleration will be better. No doubt most noticeable in 1st as you say. Mine lugs and pings with 37s, it does not shift down unless I push into it. The engine will work less hard to move the jeep in any gear vs stock. Im hoping to reduce engine load, thereby reducing pinging and also improve throttle response. All things Im pretty certain Ill get.

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
There’s a reason we went ...... to 8 and 10 speeds.
Yes. It is called fuel economy mandates.

Top fuel dragsters - the fastest accelerating car in the world - have 2 forward and one reverse gear.

EVs, the fastest accelerating road legal vehicles have a single gear, except for Porsche, which has 2.

A car can not tell the difference between shorter diff gearing or shorter transmission gears. It is all the same.

The Jeep Wrangler has 12 forward gears for the M6 and 16 forward gears in the A8 already.

Now add in the torque multiplication of a torque converter or slipping the clutch (ooops that may cause it to explode) and you actually have infinite combinations already.

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Our 2019 2.0t was a half second slower 0-60 on the same tires going from 4.10s to 5.38s. The torque multiplication in a set gear sounds all well and good, unless you have an AUTO. Torque to the wheels is torque to the wheels. The engine doesn't know how it gets there and won't effect driveability or mileage in my experience. 5.13s in 8th gear are nearly identical to stock 4.10s in 7th. The engine doesn't know the difference. 1st gear on take offs sure, but how much time do you spend there? A few seconds on the average drive.
^^^^ someone who gets it.

The torque converter already provides much shorter gearing in 1st on take off for those with the Auto. Those with manual can slip the clutch for a similar effect - but I hear the clutch will then blow up :)

Sponsored

scj64

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Ram 2500, ‘23 R/T, ‘23 20A 392, ‘22 FLHTK
A car can not tell the difference between shorter diff gearing or shorter transmission gears. It is all the same.
If you’re taking a snapshot at one given rpm. That’s not at all how a drivetrain works. Everything you change behind the engine effect's how it can perform. We’re not driving 15,000 horsepower top fuel cars and not many people drive around in low range either. Try to stay relative to the OP’s topic.

scj64

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Ram 2500, ‘23 R/T, ‘23 20A 392, ‘22 FLHTK
^^^^ someone who gets it.

The torque converter already provides much shorter gearing in 1st on take off for those with the Auto. Those with manual can slip the clutch for a similar effect - but I hear the clutch will then blow up :)
Why would you want to only use 7 gears when 8 are available? It’s all about efficiency with what we have to use. Excessive slipping of the clutch and/or torque converter creates additional heat. Hey, you guys keep doing things your way. Just a shame you’ve so passionate about being wrong.

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
Most economical would be throttle controller.

Before regearing my oem 3.45, I purchased the Hikeit X9 and the difference was extreme in the way that it gets rid of the dead spots in the gas pedal, making it feel like you have much more power.

I have since regeared to 4.56 and kept the Hikeit X9 (now set on auto mode), and my Jeep turns those 35s as easily as it did the small oem tires on stock gearing.