Sponsored

Most economical way to add some pep to my Wrangler?

Turaven

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Wrangler Sport 4-door 6MT
Between the abysmal gearing on my sport/6-speed and the limp dick torque of the pentastar, my Jeep always feels sluggish unless you're pumping the eurobeat and shifting at redline constantly like a maniac.

My soul wants to add the center force clutch and a supercharger kit. But that's pushing $10k just in parts with obvious reliability concerns.

Regearing seems like a good idea. A few grand and would "unlock" 5th and 6th gear. As it stands I rarely use more than 4th gear. I have no desire for adding larger tires though, so a 4.88 or something sounds kinda stupid, and going to a 3.73 or 4.10 doesn't sound like it's enough change to be worth the cost when you're not actually gaining power, just cheesing the torque multiplication math.

Just sell my jeep and buy a 2.0L? I really don't like the 2.0L, but it definitely puts down more low-end torque and would definitely be cheaper than a supercharger. Transferring my mods is going to be a pain in the ass though, and it's tough to find lower trim jeeps with the tow/aux switch panel option that I consider necessary equipment.

I'd really consider swapping into an ecodiesel but I don't have drive patterns that jive well with modern diesel engines. Diesel is also ludicrously expensive here.

Those seem the only reasonable options that I can think of. With another clutch fire recall going out in a month and likely no proper fix maybe I just wait for the new 4Runner and enjoy my jeep as-is until then? If they dunk the hybridmax engine in there with 400lb-ft of torque and no faffing around with a plug like the 4xe it sounds like a winner.

Yous guys' thoughts?
Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Yous guys' thoughts?
You have a new '23, so I have to ask. Did you go for a test drive of that or similar vehicle before you purchased? If I knew a vehicle didn't perform/drive the way I liked beforehand, I wouldn't purchase it.

If you're not adding larger tires, a re-gear isn't worth it.

It already sounds like you have buyer's regret, so you'll likely never be happy with the Wrangler. Sell it, cut your losses and move into something you'll be happier driving. Just my opinion.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
@jludave is pretty much what I would say, maybe a 4.56 gear or just live w/ your 4spd :( (at least you won't have to shift as much) :)

Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

If you are going to get bigger than 33s, 4.56s
OP already said "I have no desire for adding larger tires though".

OP
OP
Turaven

Turaven

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Wrangler Sport 4-door 6MT
You have a new '23, so I have to ask. Did you go for a test drive of that or similar vehicle before you purchased? If I knew a vehicle didn't perform/drive the way I liked beforehand, I wouldn't purchase it.

If you're not adding larger tires, a re-gear isn't worth it.

It already sounds like you have buyer's regret, so you'll likely never be happy with the Wrangler. Sell it, cut your losses and move into something you'll be happier driving. Just my opinion.
Any time I express something that I dislike about my Wrangler everyone says "obvious buyers remorse, sell it!" I don't get it. It's a '23 but it's pushing 6 moths old, I didn't just pick it up and have regrets. I custom ordered it and paid cash for exactly what I wanted.

I test drove all the standard configurations. 2/4 door. 6-speed V6, 2.0L turbo, V6 with e-torque. I honestly liked the e-torque the best, it nicely fills out the low torque from a dead stop and then lets the pentastar deliver the smooth, good power that it does have hiding away. I wasn't interested in paying the $4200 or whatever it was to order a system of unproved reliability that Chrysler seems will likely abandon and not iterate/improve on.

Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I custom ordered it and paid cash for exactly what I wanted.
Yes, but then you come on here and ask what you can do to improve the driving characteristics of the vehicle. If you really ordered what you wanted, this wouldn't be an issue, right? Not looking to pick a fight here. I'm just trying to understand the mindset.

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Gladiator
Any time I express something that I dislike about my Wrangler everyone says "obvious buyers remorse, sell it!" I don't get it. It's a '23 but it's pushing 6 moths old, I didn't just pick it up and have regrets. I custom ordered it and paid cash for exactly what I wanted.

I test drove all the standard configurations. 2/4 door. 6-speed V6, 2.0L turbo, V6 with e-torque. I honestly liked the e-torque the best, it nicely fills out the low torque from a dead stop and then lets the pentastar deliver the smooth, good power that it does have hiding away. I wasn't interested in paying the $4200 or whatever it was to order a system of unproved reliability that Chrysler seems will likely abandon and not iterate/improve on.
My 6spd Gladiator was a dog on the 32's. A regear will definitely help.. I'm on 37's and 5.13s now.
If you are truly never going to put larger tires on it, 4.10s will make it better. 4.30s (if they ever come out) may be the perfect solution

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Between the abysmal gearing on my sport/6-speed and the limp dick torque of the pentastar, my Jeep always feels sluggish unless you're pumping the eurobeat and shifting at redline constantly like a maniac.
I test drove three Wranglers with the V6, manual and automatic, to give that engine a fair chance. My takeaway each time was identical to what's quoted here, so I ordered the 2.0T sight- and test-drive unseen. My choice is validated every time I drive my Jeep. That engine, paired with the superlative 850RE, is an absolute hoot.

You subsequently say your custom-ordered Jeep was exactly what you wanted, after testing multiple engine and transmissions ("all the standard configurations"). Why the change of heart now?

Organic Gasoline

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Reprogramming the PCM is the best way to gain some free horse power. Doesn't cost that much and has many other benefits along with the added power improvements - Turns off auto start, code reader and diagnostic info; and others

I am running the six speed as well, still never use 6th gear, but this tuner has made me pretty happy.
https://www.livernoismotorsports.co...gler-and-gladiator-3-6l-tuner-with-pcm-unlock

The added torque on the trail is nice, and you can get about 30+ HP without any other modifications.
Sponsored