XTREME RECON Edition JL Club Thread

Planotex

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Willys Xtreme Recon, 2006 Jeep Comdr 4X4
Joined the XR club a couple of weeks ago with a gently used 2023 JLURXR Silver Zynith 3.6L w/ Dark Saddle interior. I loved my previous 2021 JLUR, but the XR has so much capability with a factory warranty that I felt upgrading was worth it. So far, I’m loving my choice!

110E2F70-5C84-4F9E-8076-05E24AA32886.jpeg

68F7E5D8-04CC-4F34-A766-2F96A3787C51.jpeg
You received all the bolts on the rims!!! Mine has 10...
Sponsored

Planotex

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Glad you pointed out the 4.56 gears. The 3.6 feels amazing with the gear ratio...gears are often overlooked.

Planotex

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree, the 3.6 with 4.56 on 35's works well!
I'm not a fan of the Rubi Red Hooks...but your red hooks with red hardtop, fenders...that is badass looking! Yours looks lifted higher than my wife's...

Sponsored

Syrus88

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Expedition EL Limited
I'm not a fan of the Rubi Red Hooks...but your red hooks with red hardtop, fenders...that is badass looking! Yours looks lifted higher than my wife's...
Thanks! I'm so glad we got the triple red... I was debating doing black fenders & hardtop... but every time I look at the all red, I pause and stand there for a minute staring!

StinGrayRXR

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR Sting Gray - Ordered 2/10/22
Clubs

You received all the bolts on the rims!!! Mine has 10...
…but think about all the savings of only having 10 bolts: cost, weight, MPGs, removal time. I’m probably missing a few other benefits…

JJ_WA

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Dakota, 2017 Cherokee, 2023 Willys XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Higher Education
Clubs

By the way, the hothead headliners and sound deadening did wonders for me as well. I bought some additional sound deadening for the floor, but have yet to rip everything out to install it.
I'm planning on putting some Kilmat in mine once it gets in. That is if Amazon gets Kilmat in stock.

StinGrayRXR

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

I'm planning on putting some Kilmat in mine once it gets in. That is if Amazon gets Kilmat in stock.
I went with this brand on Amazon…thick and odor free.
CANOPUS Car Sound Deadening Mat, 80 mil 18 sqft, Pack of 9 Sheets, Butyl Sound Deadener Mat, Audio Car Sound Dampening Material for Car Trunk, Door, Floor and Ceiling, Silver https://a.co/d/hsepJYf

Sponsored

StinGrayRXR

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

These are probably basic suspension questions, but wanted to ask the XR crowd given we have the longer bump stop extensions. I recently installed the Falcon 1.1 shocks and have the Teraflex 1.5” spacers up front. Currently, I’m showing 3.5” of the shaft and there is about 3.5” of bump clearance (21.5” extension at ride height). I’m going to add the MetalCloak bump stops, but do you think that would be enough (since they don’t fully compress)? This should give me a little less than 3” of bump and a little over 6” of droop. Anything else I need to think about (eg sway bar links)? I also got the Teraflex brake brackets but haven’t pulled the springs to test everything out. Just wanted to get some thoughts before I do. Thanks!

Planotex

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for your review. Happy to hear that you like the 3.6 XR...I love mine. I test drove all engines except the Hemi (purposely). The torque from the 2.0 or 3.0 was intriguing, but what won me over was the silky smooth 3.6, 8 speed AT, 4.56 gears, 35's, all while sipping on 87 like a fine wine (nearly 20 MPGs to show for it). If you delete the muffler, you can hear that 3.6 purr.

By the way, the hothead headliners and sound deadening did wonders for me as well. I bought some additional sound deadening for the floor, but have yet to rip everything out to install it.

The XR is definitely trail tested and you will love it. My only issues with the XR are the shocks and bump stops. I swapped out the shocks for the Falcon 1.1s (add'l 2.5" in extended length over stock XR) and added 1" spacer up front. Need to add another 0.5" spacer to account for the winch I just installed. Mine tracks wonderfully on the highway.

Enjoy!
I would love an audio/video file of a deleted muffler! Can you post?

StinGrayRXR

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

I would love an audio/video file of a deleted muffler! Can you post?
This is the one I have (no tip):
https://afepower.com/afe-power-49-4...-304-stainless-steel-axle-back-exhaust-system

I don’t have my own video but here is a YT video of some exterior sound bytes:

You might be able to find some interior sound samples…Extreme Terrain may have an install video. It’s surprisingly not that loud on the inside, unless you jam the skinny pedal. It’s about $150, so not a huge investment, and I got it mostly for the clearance, not the more aggressive sound.

rdfact

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLURXR, '01 WJ
This is the one I have (no tip):
https://afepower.com/afe-power-49-4...-304-stainless-steel-axle-back-exhaust-system

I don’t have my own video but here is a YT video of some exterior sound bytes:

You might be able to find some interior sound samples…Extreme Terrain may have an install video. It’s surprisingly not that loud on the inside, unless you jam the skinny pedal. It’s about $150, so not a huge investment, and I got it mostly for the clearance, not the more aggressive sound.
That sounds pretty cool. Is that the 3.6 in that video?

StinGrayRXR

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

That sounds pretty cool. Is that the 3.6 in that video?
I believe he has the 3.6 and that's what I have as well. I paired it with the AFE high flow filter. I have no idea if there are any performance gains, but MPGs probably decreased from wanting to hear the engine go from a purr to a roar.

By the way, there is no highway drone, but it can get fairly loud at +2500 rpm. If you're fairly light-footed, you will barely notice a difference over stock.

https://afepower.com/afe-power-31-80280-magnum-flow-pro-dry-s-air-filter
Sponsored