First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT 6MT Sport & 2023 JL 2 Door 6MT Sport
Occupation
Jeep Dealer Tech
What is your definition of stop sale. No more orders being taken or no production on the manual has stopped. How do you know this?.
Im a dealer tech. It means they cant be sold. Vehicles that already have a powertrain tend to finish productions but cant be delivered to the customer. Will be sent to the dealer and wait there until recall is performed
Sponsored

Malcris

First Name
Cris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Granite Crystal Metalic
Just landed in my inbox, courtesy of NHTSA.

Your vehicle MAY be involved in a safety recall and MAY create a safety risk for you or your passengers. If left unrepaired, a potential safety defect could lead to injury or even death. Safety defects must be repaired by a dealer at no cost to you.

Why am I getting this email?
You are receiving this message because you requested to be notified by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) if there is a safety recall that mayaffect your vehicle.

The following may apply to one or more of your vehicles if your vehicle is listed below. Click on the NHTSA Recall ID Number below to read more about the safety issue and the reason for the recall.

To find out if your specific passenger vehicle is included in the recall, use our VIN Look-up Tool.

NHTSA Recall ID Number :​
23V116
Manufacturer :​
Chrysler (FCA US, LLC)
Subject :​
Clutch Pressure Plate May Overheat
Make​
Model​
Model Years​
JEEP​
GLADIATOR​
2020-2023​
JEEP​
WRANGLER​
2018-2023​
What is a recall?
When a manufacturer or the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) determines that a vehicle creates an unreasonable risk to safety or fails to meet minimum safety standards, the manufacturer is required to fix that vehicle at no cost to the owner. That can be done by repairing it, replacing it, offering a refund (for equipment) or, in rare cases, repurchasing the car.

What should I do if my vehicle is included in this recall?
If your vehicle is included in this recall, it is very important that you get it fixed as soon as possible given the potential danger to you and your passengers if it is not addressed. You should receive a separate letter in the mail from the vehicle manufacturer, notifying you of the recall and explaining when the remedy will be available, whom to contact to repair your vehicle, and to remind you that the repair will be done at no charge to you. If you believe your vehicle is included in the recall, but you do not receive a letter in the mail from the vehicle manufacturer, please call NHTSA's Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236, or contact your vehicle manufacturer or dealership.

Thank you for your attention to this important safety matter and for your commitment to helping save lives on America's roadways.

Additional Resources
Understanding Vehicle Recalls
Recalls FAQ

Thank you,

National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
United States Department of Transportation

1677761715242.png
Weird, I just used the lookup tool and my 2020 JLU has a build date of 9/19 and it didn't pop. Even more strange is i've had my clutch overheat on multiple occasions and prevent the vehicle from moving.

Albertaktm

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Willys 2 Door Manual.
Occupation
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
Im a dealer tech. It means they cant be sold. Vehicles that already have a powertrain tend to finish productions but cant be delivered to the customer. Will be sent to the dealer and wait there until recall is performed
Interesting. I ordered a 2 door manual in December . The last updated 10 days ago was vehicle is slated to ship March 7th. Or Tuesday. I will have the dealer call FCA Wednesday to see what is the statues of my unit. None of that Jeep care update order status works here in Canada. Interesting that they will ship to dealers but cannot be sold. Since 1,000s are already rolling around out there. Still going to take 3 weeks plus to get here so this will be interesting to see what actually happens.

Sponsored

Albertaktm

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
From reading about the past issue from many other sources The recall and “fix” , I believe that the recall is simply NHTSA saying to FCA that the software fix you guys issued to address the clutch plates catching on fire is not doing anything. You guys have to address it again. The effective motive, start date is April 17 2023. It is mentioned several times it’s not a faulty part, it’s a faulty design. In no way does it say anywhere that production is halted on the manual. The reported incidents is very low. Under 50 and it has to be specific conditions for this failure to occur. Hell they let Ford keep making the Pinto! Maybe they just install better plates or what ever that Center Force aftermarket thing is. A redesign does not mean the entire clutch system. It ca mean changing 2 or 3 parts. As I stated elsewhere. What the hell kind of clutch dragging do you have to be doing where the surfaces get so hot, they catch on fire?

IanNubbit

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Jeep Dealer Tech
Interesting. I ordered a 2 door manual in December . The last updated 10 days ago was vehicle is slated to ship March 7th. Or Tuesday. I will have the dealer call FCA Wednesday to see what is the statues of my unit. None of that Jeep care update order status works here in Canada. Interesting that they will ship to dealers but cannot be sold. Since 1,000s are already rolling around out there. Still going to take 3 weeks plus to get here so this will be interesting to see what actually happens.
If the parts already installed onto the vheicle, theres nothing the plant can do. They dont have the ability to repair vehicles, only dealers do. They get sent to the dealer so they can be repaired

IanNubbit

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Jeep Dealer Tech
From reading about the past issue from many other sources The recall and “fix” , I believe that the recall is simply NHTSA saying to FCA that the software fix you guys issued to address the clutch plates catching on fire is not doing anything. You guys have to address it again. The effective motive, start date is April 17 2023. It is mentioned several times it’s not a faulty part, it’s a faulty design. In no way does it say anywhere that production is halted on the manual. The reported incidents is very low. Under 50 and it has to be specific conditions for this failure to occur. Hell they let Ford keep making the Pinto! Maybe they just install better plates or what ever that Center Force aftermarket thing is. A redesign does not mean the entire clutch system. It ca mean changing 2 or 3 parts. As I stated elsewhere. What the hell kind of clutch dragging do you have to be doing where the surfaces get so hot, they catch on fire?
Im not sure anyone said production is halted. I personally did say there is a stop sale in effect though. Note no vehicles are currently listed in this recall yet

Albertaktm

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Im not sure anyone said production is halted. I personally did say there is a stop sale in effect though. Note no vehicles are currently listed in this recall yet
I went into a dealership this afternoon and got them to quote me my specs On what I ordered In Dec. I asked if there were any constraints like chip shortages, anything, at all that may delay it. He said he didn’t thinks so. I said ask Check. I will wait. Came back and said nope. We will take your money. Order it today sir? That’s at a large dealer but I also firmly believe dealers know very little. Time will tell. I believe my unit will come. I’ll take delivery. Then bring it back once they figure out what they are going to do.

IanNubbit

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Jeep Dealer Tech
I went into a dealership this afternoon and got them to quote me my specs On what I ordered In Dec. I asked if there were any constraints like chip shortages, anything, at all that may delay it. He said he didn’t thinks so. I said ask Check. I will wait. Came back and said nope. We will take your money. Order it today sir? That’s at a large dealer but I also firmly believe dealers know very little. Time will tell. I believe my unit will come. I’ll take delivery. Then bring it back once they figure out what they are going to do.
Im a dealer tech. Yes, dealers only know what gets pushed in their face and even dont notice things then. Im the only one (200+ employees) who actually even saw the recall. If you need the proof i can screen shot the stop sale email? Like I said, no vehicles are currently affected so nothing is going to say you cant order/get one. But the momment the vin drop occurs, boom, no longer can take it home

Sponsored

Albertaktm

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Well we shall see. You may have seen that email and I don’t argue that, I am saying that when the dealership receives the factory ordered manual, they will contact the buyer close the deal and get it off the dealership lot. They don’t want these stock piling up on their lot. No reason to keep them as there are 10’s of thousands driving around on the streets with the same repair required. The low numbers (36) of documented clutch issues will not stop the flow of thousands into the customers hands.

Chazdog

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Honda Pilot for now
This is getting ridiculous. I tried to buy a low miles 2018 CPO almost 2 years ago. It was all PDI'd but no call to come take delivery. I call them and they sheepishly inform me that they can't sell me the Jeep, that a STOP SALE order had been imposed. The dealer knew nothing because they don't sell manuals, almost never anyway. I decided to wait for the Y-7 fix and after many weeks of nothing coming down from Jeep and no real hope of a solution anytime soon, I was able to get the dealer to sell me an ordered one at a good price. All good, right? Well not so much. I never would have expected a manufacturer to continue to produce and deliver a product that they knew was, by design, defective. And possibly a safety risk. They had all of this time to make this right but instead chose to do nothing. And now here we go again with yet another software remedy where the power is reduced to lower friction, thus reducing the potential for a fire. This is utter bullshit.

Meanwhile, I'm reading these stories about unsuspecting Wrangler owners experiencing catastrophic clutch failures and in one notable case, documented in great detail on this forum last year, some poor young woman experienced a complete roadside burn.

I wanted a manual and rolled the dice. It's the worst shifting vehicle I've owned in almost fifty years of driving manuals. My wife, who always loved her manual trucks and cars, hates driving it. The ratios are all wrong - it just feels like an afterthought, that Jeep is buying time until everything goes EV or the take rate is so low they dump the manual altogether. How else could one explain the lack of attention and proper response given to this overheating clutch issue after so many years?

IanNubbit

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Jeep Dealer Tech
Well we shall see. You may have seen that email and I don’t argue that, I am saying that when the dealership receives the factory ordered manual, they will contact the buyer close the deal and get it off the dealership lot. They don’t want these stock piling up on their lot. No reason to keep them as there are 10’s of thousands driving around on the streets with the same repair required. The low numbers (36) of documented clutch issues will not stop the flow of thousands into the customers hands.
Stop sales makes it ILLEGAL to sell an affected vehicle until the recall repair is performed. This is not a new concept. Any vin included in a stop sale is just that, sale stopped. We literally just had this scenario on heavy duty Rams. Our dealer had 20 units on the lot. 15 of them where signed for and ready to go. But had to wait over a month for a stupid locking trans dip stick. Obviously Dealers dont WANT to do that, but they/we dont have a choice. NHTSA says we cant, we cant.
Jeep Wrangler JL Clutch Recall (2/23/23): Clutch Pressure Plate May Overheat -- Affecting 70,000 Manual Jeep Wranglers and Gladiators C0E0EF5F-61EB-481A-81C2-DA477CCBB22A

nomographer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon ("Anaximander"), 94 YJ sold :(
Build Thread
Link
During the 21 recall they didn't bother shipping to the dealers. Jeeps sat outside the Toledo plant until the software flash was ready.

People are making a lot of assumptions here. A manufacturing line doesn't just shut down and instantly retool in 37 seconds; they keep building because they'll need to perform the fix on 100k vehicles, what's 500 more? And of course they won't give it to you in the meantime, that would be by definition selling you a defective product.

There's no information yet on what work they intend to perform as part of the recall. All complaints per year/make/model can be read at https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls

eurodin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JL 6M
Post number #1. I really should have 0 posts because the point of a new stock car is not to post in forums. You would think this would not happen on a very basic underpowered car. Leased this fall of 2022 as a bridge vehicle after having modified/performance cars on tracks and street all my life. This is my first Jeep and a vehicle with high ground clearance.

I could tell the clutch was not going to last after 1 week of driving. This clutch is only meant for 2H with low loads. The 2K rpm bump in power is very noticable and it's appaling they just thought they could cut the power to fix it. Gearing is also horrible and kills any driving pleasure.

Any type of loads in 4H will cause slippage and smoke from the clutch,pp, flywheel assembly. Sure enough a quick check on the world wide web confirms this all which brings me here.

It's also sad a product that has been around for 80 years can't be better considering how much margin they make from selling these.

-Needs a 2.5L Turbo
-Glass cockpit
-Better Backup Camera
-Better Gearing
-Better Braking

Handling aside it's a fun vehicle.

I regret not test driving the 6M before buying or reading up. I took the 2.0T for a spin and felt like it had more usable power, but the handling dynamic of the 6M was much better, (few hundred lbs less on chassis)

Hope this gets addressed but my faith in engineers is low.
Sponsored

Last edited: