Sponsored

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
That’s not the vvt you are feeling “kick in” that is the torqued management being relaxed. I’m gusssing still not eliminated though.

vvt is in upper rpms
Don’t think so. VVT kicks in at 2k. Generally torque management is implemented in TCM…which we don’t have. Paging @Livernois Motorsports for a definitive answer.
Edit: to add more - torque management is typically handled for an entire gear -to limit torque where there’s extreme multiplication. There’s no logical case for limiting torque when an engine makes the least torque and then removing the torque limit when the engine actually makes more torque…let alone in the same gear. What you don’t like about your powertrain is fair, but it isn’t torque management.
Sponsored

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL

djxizodu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door
You are asking why the manufacturer wants to limit torque to eliminate the stress on drivetrain components they have to warranty?

I agree. It’s the dumbest idea ever to do it to a vehicle, especially for drivability and keeping pressure plates from exploding, but that’s what they did.

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
You are asking why the manufacturer wants to limit torque to eliminate the stress on drivetrain components they have to warranty?

I agree. It’s the dumbest idea ever to do it to a vehicle, especially for drivability and keeping pressure plates from exploding, but that’s what they did.
I am asking why they would limit torque when the engine is already making the least amount of torque. The answer is they didn’t. You might consider researching the engine that is actually in the wrangler jl, how torque management works, how torque management is implemented, and vvt.

Sponsored

IanNubbit

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT 6MT Sport & 2023 JL 2 Door 6MT Sport
Occupation
Jeep Dealer Tech
The fix will be a further reduction in torque. There is no way Jeep will replace 69K clutches. That will clock Jeep dealership service centers for months.

It's simply not worth trying trying to buy a manual Wrangler when Jeep has demonstrated time and time again that their R&D $$$ are going into the auto and all the newer powertrains.

If you have a manual, just drive it till it blows and put a proper aftermarket clutch when it does.
The issue is "blows up" tends to end in Jeep on fire on side of the road...

IanNubbit

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Jeep Dealer Tech
Any word if this recall will delay an order that’s been scheduled but not built yet?
A stop sale is currently in effect

IanNubbit

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Jeep Dealer Tech
Fly on the wall:

Engineering: "Hey Boss, what do you want to do about this NHTSA Recall?"
Mgmt: "How many Jeeps we talking here?"
Finance: "Round numbers - Looks like not quite 70 thousand wranglers with clutches were sold so far."
Mgmt: "What are our options?"
Customer Service: "I think we should just come up with a new clutch design and replace them all."
Mgmt: "How much would that cost?"
Engineering: "Probably 500-1000 hours of engineering work, plus 1500 in parts and 6/8 dealer hours per Jeep.... (calculates....) hmmm roughly 150 million in round numbers...
Mgmt: "Damn! That's the last resort. What else we got?"
Engineering: "Well, we already tried reprogramming the ECU to depower if it detects excess heat. That didn't work."
Mgmt: "Can't we just tweak the parameters and try again?"
Engineering: "Might work. But there's a lack of data. We don't really have a sensor on that."
Mgmt: "Could we install an additional sensor, and Nerf the engine if it's too hot?"
Engineering: "MaYbeeee? I'd have to get back to you.... but that's a new sensor, new pair, wiring harness retrofit, and I swear we don't have any open ports on that ECU... You already rejected replacing the clutch - I KNOW you're not gonna go for an ECU upgrade!"
Mgmt: "OK option 1 is another pure software fix... Option 2 is some type of detect fault. We're not re-clutching 70 thousand Jeeps."

disclaimer: It should be obvious, but this is a work of fiction for entertainment. I made it all up 100%. Still I'm pretty fluent in "corporatese" and I'm pretty much willing to bet money that the "new" recall is gonna look an awful lot like the previous "old" recall.
To help you out, Clutch replacment warranty pay is only 3.8hrs, and current clutch price is around $400. The current recall to replace curtain air bags in Rams pays roughlt 3 hours and the inflators cost over $1000, note this effects 2014-2022 Rams 1500, 2500, and 3500s. Its really not crazy or out of line. 70k vehicles is less then you think.

Stengaaa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy sonic, soon wrangler Jl 2 door
A stop sale is currently in effect
Aw man hopefully i won’t have to wait too much longer because i think mine was supposed to be built Monday

IanNubbit

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Jeep Dealer Tech
Aw man hopefully i won’t have to wait too much longer because i think mine was supposed to be built Monday
Good chance they might build it, but still wont be ablek to pick it up until after the recall is performed at the dealer prior to delivery.

Sponsored

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I put this sticker on my Jeep and the ZF 8 speed started smoking. I bet one drive to the grocery store in a manual Jeep will result in a big fire.
Jeep Wrangler JL Clutch Recall (2/23/23): Clutch Pressure Plate May Overheat -- Affecting 70,000 Manual Jeep Wranglers and Gladiators 41zRW95t4CL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I think it's the user is to blame. We all know you must use the exact spec oil and coolant in your Jeep as they only use the best of the best. Obviously, that carries over to the clutch package. Never deviate from what Mopar says, plus take it easy on your Jeeps. Stop it with all of this hot rodding. Kids today..........

2 door rubi

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Agreed. Kids lol. The 2 door manual on a 4" lift be like driving in Mario cart. Thinking about getting that belt drive supercharger. I'm 42, but I'm someone's kid. The dual exaust is nice on the 3.6. No problems with anything. Had my new jeep in to the dealer for the first reprogramming fix, they scratched the door sill. I take it to my local guy for inspection and do all the work myself. Including changing all the fluids at 1,500 miles.

20221124_150401(1).jpg

20221030_145609.jpg

20221030_145635.jpg

Albertaktm

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Willys 2 Door Manual.
Occupation
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
So does anybody know what the situation is where they overheat? In the dozen or 2 manual vehicles I have owned over the last 4 or so decades, I have never been on the clutch more than 1 or 2 seconds. Is this a slow, feathering rock crawling situation?
Sponsored