Sponsored

Will Diesel Wrangler be Affected by Jeep and Ram's Alleged Diesel Cheating?

JAY

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

This morning, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency revealed that an investigation has been launched into possible diesel cheating on diesel V6 Jeep and Ram vehicles made between 2014 and 2016. The vehicles covered under the EPA's investigation include 104,000 Grand Cherokees and Ram 1500 trucks with the 3.0L Ecodiesel engines.

The EPA alleges that these vehicles had “at least eight auxiliary emission control devices” that were not disclosed to the agency. The EPA claims that the software yields different tailpipe emissions when in real world usage versus in laboratory testing, and depends highly upon operating conditions. In other words, FCA is being accused of implementing a system that passes lab certification tests but actually emits more emissions in the real world for better fuel economy and performance. This is similar to what Volkswagen was ultimate found guilty of.

The EPA has not yet labeled this a defeat device but has sent FCA a notice of violation requesting that the company “show them why these controls devices do not constitute ‘defeat devices.’”

So, how does this potentially affect the diesel Wrangler model expected to be introduced with the next-gen JL Wrangler? Obviously, it depends on whether FCA is ultimately exonerated or found guilty of these allegations. If FCA is found to have implemented a cheat system, the fallout would be severe. A large fine would certainly be part of the settlement - for buyback/owner compensation as well as going to programs to offset excess emissions and clean car projects. The fine could easily be in the billions as any automaker caught selling a vehicle in violation of Clean Air Act guidelines could face a fine of $44,539 per vehicle. In this case, the potential fine is over $4.6 billion.

FCA would also be required to make changes to its V6 diesel powertrain to eliminate the cheat systems for retesting and rectification by the EPA. This process could very well delay the implementation of the V6 diesel into the JL/JLU Wrangler and JT Pickup. The public image fallout from this outcome may also hurt sales of FCA's diesel models (including the diesel Wrangler) which in turn may lead FCA to nix the the diesel option for some of its models. The diesel Wrangler, which has never been offered before, could easily be such a casualty. VW serves as a cautionary example -- the negative feelings towards VW in the wake of Dieselgate has been so widespread as to lead the company to stop selling diesel models in the U.S. altogether.

In the interest of the future of the diesel Wrangler, we hope FCA is cleared of any wrongdoing. If that should happen, we hope that the declaration is made by the EPA as soon as possible so as to avoid any delay in rolling out the diesel engine for the JL Wrangler.
Sponsored

F1Mark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
YJ
All hope is not lost. This isn't like the VW situation since the EPA is not actually saying they have found cheating and the vehicles would have to be brought back or repaired. The EPA is just investigating and has so far only accused FCA of not disclosing all software that would be considered an emissions control device. It's still giving FCA the chance to explain itself. Also this only impacts roughly 100k Jeep/Ram cars.

Jalopnik does a good job of explaining this.
http://jalopnik.com/why-fiat-chryslers-diesel-cheating-might-not-be-anywh-1791135595

JTman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JT to come
Argh just as we were probably finally going to see a diesel Wrangler! I feel like I got punched in the stomach. Hoping this turns out to be a witch hunt by an overzealous EPA who seems hell bent on making life difficult for automakers when it comes to anything involving diesel. Thanks VW!

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
I'll bet dollars to donuts that the Trump admin somehow makes this go away...

Sponsored

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
I'll bet dollars to donuts that the Trump admin somehow makes this go away...
They already said they reached out the the Trump Admin to help work this out.

MrDinkMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Durango
Been reading about this all over the car blogs. Literally every one I follow reported on it. Is it standard practice for the EPA to make allegations like this public before giving the accused a chance to answer? I feel like making it public has a smear effect on FCA and the ecodiesel engine even if the company is found to have done nothing wrong.

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
Put the god d@mn 4Cyl diesel in it and pass the tests with no defeat devices. We will get plenty of torque for off roading, and be happy with slightly less acceleration, and much greater fuel economy.

Last edited:

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
They already said they reached out the the Trump Admin to help work this out.
Well, EPA leadership will not be changing until next week, so maybe then we will get conclusive word regarding whether they will still be forced to certify the 2.2L diesel 4cyl, used in euro Cherokee, versus being able to smooth over any concerns regarding the 3.0L diesel.

Sponsored

N.Stark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 TJ
Put the god d@mn 4Cyl diesel in it and pass the tests with no defeat devices. We will get plenty of torque for off roading, and be happy with slightly less acceleration, and much greater fuel economy.
Seriously.

Well, EPA leadership will not be changing until next week, so maybe then we will get conclusive word regarding whether they will still be forced to certify the 2.2L diesel 4cyl, used in euro Cherokee, versus being able to smooth over any concerns regarding the 3.0L diesel.
The new EPA incoming leadership will be more auto friendly so hopefully we see the diesel allegations resolved favorable and quickly. Would be a shame to be this close to a V6 diesel Wrangler and have it be stillborn.

And funny how the current outgoing EPA decided to do a midterm review of existing standards more than a year ahead of schedule so they can lock in the fuel economy rules through 2025. :rolleyes:

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
Seriously.

The new EPA incoming leadership will be more auto friendly so hopefully we see the diesel allegations resolved favorable and quickly. Would be a shame to be this close to a V6 diesel Wrangler and have it be stillborn.

And funny how the current outgoing EPA decided to do a midterm review of existing standards more than a year ahead of schedule so they can lock in the fuel economy rules through 2025. :rolleyes:
Yeah that's obvious new EPA leadership will for sure want to go easier on domestic auto manufacturers. In any event I think Jeep will potentially lose lots of first time wrangler buyers if they don't have a diesel option upon launch. So whether 3.0 V6 or 2.2 4cyl they should really not underestimate how much sales will boom if they make diesel available at launch.

Shawn Ash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
Yeah that's obvious new EPA leadership will for sure want to go easier on domestic auto manufacturers. In any event I think Jeep will potentially lose lots of first time wrangler buyers if they don't have a diesel option upon launch. So whether 3.0 V6 or 2.2 4cyl they should really not underestimate how much sales will boom if they make diesel available at launch.
Was a diesel going to be available immediately at launch later this year? I could be wrong but thought it was gonna be sometime later?

MLPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Willys JK 6M
Was a diesel going to be available immediately at launch later this year? I could be wrong but thought it was gonna be sometime later?
No one really knows or at least not from what I have seen. This sure won't help things if there was any chance of it being available at launch it is pretty much gone now.

Speaking of which anyone know how long it will take to get word on FCA's response to the EPA and whether they will be formally accused of cheating? The diesel is high on my wish list.