Sponsored

New JLU Sahara owner...thoughts so far

• Thread starter Deleted member 18624
  • Start date
  • Watchers 16

Deleted member 18624

Picked up our JLU Sahara last Friday from the dealer. So far we are liking. Technology wise, this Jeep is far more advanced than I expected. Overall should be a fun vehicle.

My only 2 complaints so far are:

1. I cannot get this Jeep to drive straight. It is all over the road and I am constantly having to correct the steering. Even at slow speeds 30-40 mph. Tire pressure is high and I am planning on adjusting it the weekend. Hope this resolves the issue.

Current tire pressure:
43 45
45 43

2. The wind noise! Pretty sure it's coming from the front window. I ordered some hothead headliners but I'm not sure that going to do anything for me if it's the front window. The Jeep is white so we haven't had any issues with it being too hot. I mainly bought the headliners for some noise reduction.

Anyway I know these seem to be common issues among current JLU owners but just wanted to document in case Jeep customer service is reading.
Sponsored

robplumm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKUR in Dozer
Guessing a hard top...

Shouldn't be a noticeable "whoosh" of wind. You'll have wind noise compared to "regular" cars...

If it's really noticeable and only on one side, it's probably a mis-aligned door. take it back and have it adjusted if so.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
My JLU Sahara has wind noise as well and sounds like it’s coming from the passenger side but it’s hard to tell as I am on the driver side, my tires as well were 45-48 lbs cold and I lowered to 35 and it rides and drives very smooth and straight, no pulling or drifting, the wind noise comes and goes so I am not gonna be to concerned as it may just be design so maybe I can have my wife drive it and I can ride in the passenger seat and see if it’s me or the Jeep

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
I find the JLUS as far as wind noise about the same as my 2012 JKUS, expected better.I too have the wander problem but only above 50mph, as I remember my '12 had a bit of the wander problem at speed, seem not as much though. I am kinda thinking this "electric PS" with fluid not so hot? I have a Cherokee Trailhawk and it has all electric PS and it's dead on with steering at all speeds??

Go Jeep!!!

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Zero wind noise in my JKUR.

Sponsored

BVGeezer

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU, 1982 FJ40
Occupation
Retired
Put the tire pressure at 37 psi cold as per door sticker or whatever the Sahara sticker says. Followed advice on this site for out Rubicon and it made a significant difference.

Tridgerat

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I assume you ordered the Sound Assassin strips with the headliner kit? If so, I can personally attest to their effectiveness. There is still more noise than an average car but it is a Jeep after all. Definitely better with the kit though.

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
If you haven’t had a Jeep hardtop- it’s loud. If you have, it’s really not much louder than the JKUs. I had a headliner on the last one, so that does help. I’ll be getting that soon.

As for the swerving- it could be tire pressure, or it could simply be misaligned. Might have them check that. Not usual for a new car, but it happens.

Other than that, you’ll love it. Enjoy!

k9jackie

First Name
Jackie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
I’ve had mine since Sunday... wider tires and correct tire pressure make a HUGE difference in the drive

OP
OP

Deleted member 18624

Put the tire pressure at 37 psi cold as per door sticker or whatever the Sahara sticker says. Followed advice on this site for out Rubicon and it made a significant difference.
I keep reading on the forums 37psi...The inside of my door says 36psi. Planning on doing this tomorrow morning. The most frustrating thing is when you tell the dealer about an issue and they just chalk it up as...."it's a Jeep"

I assume you ordered the Sound Assassin strips with the headliner kit? If so, I can personally attest to their effectiveness. There is still more noise than an average car but it is a Jeep after all. Definitely better with the kit though.
I didn't get the sound assassin strips because they are permanent and cannot be removed. If we ever get rid of the Jeep in the future I want to keep the hothead liners to recoup some of the cost. The 3M tape / Velcro should be fairly easy to get off.

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Mine are at 37 psi with no change. Tires don't make a Jeep wonder all over the road. Alignment specs, suspension geometry, steering hardware, etc. are the types of things that will do that.

I'm awaiting more information about the new steering recall that came out today. I'm curious if this could be linked to that.

Just know that you aren't alone. A LOT of people are noticing the horrible JL steering. Please report it to Jeep so we can get a fix!

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Just add more aggressive off road tires and you'll not hear the wind noise! lol

"just a Jeep thing" shouldn't cut it anymore. I think the thinner panels on the JL's help add to apparent "noise", sure are easy to take off and replace!

Go Jeep!!!

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
So seriously, does the JL produce more wind noise than a JK? I'm talking premium soft top to premium soft top. I don't hear wind noise in the JKUR because the tire noise trumps everything else.

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Majestic,tire noise does trump everything else!!

I think the thinner front panel tops do add some noise, not sure "wind noises? I've had many Jeeps from CJ's up and two JKU's I loved both JKU's but I do think the JLU is a real upgrade! My JLUS came thru with Bridgestone "all weather" tires that I hate, crap they don't even look good!! But boy are they quiet and smooth! Unfortunately probably won't be on long?

I have a Cherokee TH with mildly aggressive off road tires tires and compared to a Cherokee Limited I rode in, our TH is noisy...TIRES!!!

Go Jeep!!!

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
So seriously, does the JL produce more wind noise than a JK? I'm talking premium soft top to premium soft top. I don't hear wind noise in the JKUR because the tire noise trumps everything else.
No. Had both. The JK was loud. The JL is loud. It’s a Jeep.

But to clarify- “loud” isn’t defined as deafening. It’s just not a Mercedes-AMG. The wife’s CRV isn’t crazy quiet either. You drive a box with thin tops and sides. That makes noise when driving. I still make calls all the time through the stereo and no one says “are you driving?” Unless the top is off.
Sponsored