Sponsored

Well, I was going to buy an AEV DualSport RT Suspension yesterday...

Mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Are you really loaded up with that much weight?
Since their lifts are basic you can piece something together easily if you need their springs. The other packages like Clayton are easier.
But you could get springs, generic 2”bump stops, and sway bar links from allmoparparts. Pick whatever track bar you want.
Decide whether you use geometry brackets or couple front control arms, again mopar ones from the lift are available and like $60.
Sponsored

lowmpg

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
But they don't sell it without the $225, feature challanged, ProCal Snap.

I contacted their customer service asking if they would sell me the lift without the ProCal since I already have a FlashCal JL. They replied right away, which at least was refreshing in this day and age, but told me they don't sell the lift without the ProCal. And then went on to tell me I could just try to sell it. But if you look in the classifieds on this forum, it seems people are having trouble getting rid of them.

So, in the same price range, is there a decent alternative for a ~2" 2 door Rubicon lift? Not sure I want to go with Mopar since I have heavy front/rear bumpers with winch and rear tire carrier and tailgate reinforcement bracket. It sounded like the spring rate of the AEV would have been a better option for me. But I'm not sure I want to do business with them at this point. I'm guessing most of my customer service issues with them will follow in the same vein.

Having had the 2.5" AEV for over a year now I'd say, just get it. The lift is great and provides a much better ride than factory. I have had zero issues with mine. I've had 4 or 5 lifted vehicles before and the AEV lift is as good as any of my others. There really is no guess work, not 'patching' together a lift. Yeah sure you can add more parts, but why? Unless you plan to really off-road it there is no reason in my experience. Just my 2 cents.

OP
OP
cosmokenney

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
Having had the 2.5" AEV for over a year now I'd say, just get it. The lift is great and provides a much better ride than factory. I have had zero issues with mine. I've had 4 or 5 lifted vehicles before and the AEV lift is as good as any of my others. There really is no guess work, not 'patching' together a lift. Yeah sure you can add more parts, but why? Unless you plan to really off-road it there is no reason in my experience. Just my 2 cents.
Which shocks did you get with it? The remotes or standard 5100s?

lowmpg

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Which shocks did you get with it? The remotes or standard 5100s?
Standard 5100, I love the 5100s had something similar on my F350 and never had a single issue.

Rubi6mt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 6mt
I went with AEV 2.5RT dualsport lift for the following reasons:

1. love there products (admitted fanboy)
2. Simple integrated system with no guesswork and OEM level maintenance ie uses stock control arms
3. much better onroad driving manners both unloaded and especially laden
4. better ride quality once I set tire psi to 31 cold
5. easily handles blues trails in offroad parks
6.my daily driver, so put about 12k miles a year on it with about 6 to 8 offroad weekends a year

Here you can see the front lca relatively parallel to the ground despite a net lift gain of 3.5inches, helps minimize force transfer into cabin on rough terrain
Jeep Wrangler JL Well, I was going to buy an AEV DualSport RT Suspension yesterday... 20220812_192137

how it sits unladen
Jeep Wrangler JL Well, I was going to buy an AEV DualSport RT Suspension yesterday... 20221013_123040

and here laden with about 300lbs of stuff after doing Trailfest 2022 at AOAA
Jeep Wrangler JL Well, I was going to buy an AEV DualSport RT Suspension yesterday... 20220820_142744

In short you can't go wrong with the AEV kit, I actually use the procal for the tire change (35s), regear (4.88s, have a manual) and tire pressure (set to 28).

But will also admit I almost went with Clayton for their awesome quality and comprehensive kit.

I just decided to do a full AEV conversion in a moment of fiscal insanity:CWL:

good luck with your decision!

Sponsored

Rustynail11

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
I am in the same boat. I am looking at the same lift but do not need the Procal. However that won't stop me from buying it. It is a great product from a company with a great reputation.

andrew8404

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
5100s are good shocks for entry level but that's about it. Not a fan of AEV stuff as it's overpriced and is basic as it can get. The Mopar kit is a nice starter kit with great shocks especially if you can find it for around 1300 but missing some key parts. But for you should be great. Clayton and Metalcloak make some nice kits also. Only problem with Metalcloak is they run extended shocks or you have to get shock mount adapters.

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
In short you can't go wrong with the AEV kit, I actually use the procal for the tire change (35s), regear (4.88s, have a manual) and tire pressure (set to 28).
Do you think 4.10's are OK with 35" tires and an auto? I'm thinking about buying the AEV kit but really don't want to regear.

Also, how is your caster after using the AEV kit on the Rubicon?

Rubi6mt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 6mt
Do you think 4.10's are OK with 35" tires and an auto? I'm thinking about buying the AEV kit but really don't want to regear.

Also, how is your caster after using the AEV kit on the Rubicon?
Can't speak for 4.10s on an auto as mine is a manual but I drove with the 4.10s briefly with 35s and it was OK.

I can't recall the caster value offhand but definitely below 6. So not perfect but drives just fine 75-80 on highway

Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Only problem with Metalcloak is they run extended shocks or you have to get shock mount adapters.
Not quite. They use the outboards so that long extension shocks don’t hit the frame.

You can use any shocks you want, I initially ran Bilstein 5100 3-4.5s with no shock mount modifications.

andrew8404

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Not quite. They use the outboards so that long extension shocks don’t hit the frame.

You can use any shocks you want, I initially ran Bilstein 5100 3-4.5s with no shock mount modifications.
yes if you buy shocks that are correctly fitted.

redracer

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
I'd suggest that you do the Metalcloak 2.5" dual rate without shocks and add your own in. For 2 reasons...

1) You live near them. They are based out of the Sacramento area (Rancho Cordova). You could save on shipping by just going and picking it up. Or, better yet, have them do the install!

2) I used this in my last JL with their shocks and I loved it. The ride was better than stock and I had zero issues for over 2 years of use. And will be ordering it for my 4xe but will be using my stock shocks to avoid changing the front drive shaft.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
2) I used this in my last JL with their shocks, and will be ordering it for my 4xe but will be using my stock shocks to avoid changing the front axle.
You mean driveshaft? Plenty of shock options that stay below the 28 ish inches the shaft can handle.

redracer

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
You mean driveshaft? Plenty of shock options that stay below the 28 ish inches the shaft can handle.
Yep. Oops. Fixed.
Sponsored