Type of oil from factory?

subiescott77

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
I have the free oil changes and not using. To save $40.00 and let the dealer do it. LOL I will do it and know what filter and oil is going in and done right.
Ditto. I don't trust anyone draining the oil and all. When I pull the plug, I tinker in the garage for some time until the oil practically stops dripping. I usually wipe everything down and double check all connections. As Tony Montana says, "who do I trust? ME!"
Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Just like any other profession, there are mechanics who take pride in their work and some do not. Some are rushed to complete the job which leads to errors and mistakes.

I try to perform all regular maintenance that I’m capable of to make sure the job is done right.

No disrespect meant, but if it’s not their ride then they do the minimum to get it in and out as quickly as possible.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Ditto. I don't trust anyone draining the oil and all. When I pull the plug, I tinker in the garage for some time until the oil practically stops dripping. I usually wipe everything down and double check all connections. As Tony Montana says, "who do I trust? ME!"
I had to replace a Ford Ecoboost engine in my Transit due to a guy at a quickie lube shop (One I actually trust) not checking and putting an oil filter on over the previous filter's gasket, causing catastrophic loss of oil and destroying the engine. $12 grand for a Ford factory remanufactured engine. Fortunately, the shop's insurance covered it. That right there is why I'll change my own, if I can. That Transit is too low to the ground for me to do it myself, so I've got no choice with it. On a Jeep, why not do it yoruself? The filter is as easy as it gets and even on a base Sport, it is easy to get under it and get to the drain plug. No problem doing it in 10 minutes.

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
On a Jeep, why not do it yoruself?
On my TJ it was because the oil liked to drain onto the oil pan skid plate, not out the hole, so it was easier to let someone else clean up the mess.

Now it would be because it's a hassle finding a parts store whose oil dump isn't full and draining the container.

subiescott77

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
I had to replace a Ford Ecoboost engine in my Transit due to a guy at a quickie lube shop (One I actually trust) not checking and putting an oil filter on over the previous filter's gasket, causing catastrophic loss of oil and destroying the engine. $12 grand for a Ford factory remanufactured engine. Fortunately, the shop's insurance covered it. That right there is why I'll change my own, if I can. That Transit is too low to the ground for me to do it myself, so I've got no choice with it. On a Jeep, why not do it yoruself? The filter is as easy as it gets and even on a base Sport, it is easy to get under it and get to the drain plug. No problem doing it in 10 minutes.
Right. I like the fact that my JLUR is so high off the ground, I can just get my creeper and slide on under haha.

Sponsored

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
I have been told by 'experts' that you can switch from regular/synthetic blend oils to pure synthetic oil without a problem. But that you should never switch from pure synthetic back to regular/blend.
Those so-called experts are full of el toro poo-poo. If the oil meets or exceeds API/SAE performance specs, it's more than adequate. What's more, "Full synthetic" is a marketing term and is not a measurable quality. In fact, most (if not all ) "full synthetic" automotive motor oils are made from chemically modified petroleum base stocks.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Those so-called experts are full of el toro poo-poo. If the oil meets or exceeds API/SAE performance specs, it's more than adequate. What's more, "Full synthetic" is a marketing term and is not a measurable quality. In fact, most (if not all ) "full synthetic" automotive motor oils are made from chemically modified petroleum base stocks.
Yep. Castrol, Pennzoil, Valvoline, Havoline, Napa, Supertech, Quaker State, and some others are Group III base, which are exactly as @Biscuit says, produced from petroleum base stocks. Pennzoil gets theirs from natural gas, but that is still a natural petroleum product. "Regular" Mobil 1 is believed to primarily be a Group III, as well, as is Mobil Super Synthetic. Mobil 1 EP and AP and some of their High Mileage oils are believed to have Group IV base stock. How much? Only Exxon Mobil really knows, but their properties, such as pour point and flash point, and the service interval, indicate a significant amount of Group IV base stock. Mobil 1 0w20 Annual Protection has the best combination of low pour point and high flash point, which make me (admittedly NOT a chemist) believe it has the most Group IV of any of them. It also gives me great confidence in it's ability to protect at high temperatures. It's flash point is higher than most 5w30's and 10w30's I've seen, including Mobil 1's other EP and AP products. You do have to check back at the product data sheets, from time to time, because they do change formulations.

The next API rating is SN Plus. That comes out soon. Mobil 1 AP 0w20 is said to already meet that standard. From what I've read, SN Plus covers everything SN did, but does more, including better wear protection. I know Pennzoil Platinum ow20 will meet it as soon as they are allowed to release the label. (It may already be formulated to meet it.)

It is all fascinating stuff, but the truth is that any major brand of 0w20 should work very well in the Pentastar. I'd be confident in any of them, yes, even at 0w20 weight. I've seen no pattern of engine issues with these light oils that is any different from engines running heavier oils. I've seen not one case of actual oil failure, of any weight of oil. Those bearing problems or sludge problems are caused by defects or faulty design. (Ex. Toyota's sludging 3.4's awhile back, which, btw, I had in two 4 Runners. Mine never had sludge. Why? Likely because I only ran Mobil 1 in them.)

kurt13

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red JLU Rubi/4Runner

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU

Goblue

First Name
Darran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU/OB
Occupation
FF/PM
does anyone have any thoughts on amsoil full synthetic

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
does anyone have any thoughts on amsoil full synthetic
It is outstanding oil. It likely is made with a group IV synthetic base stock, which is true synthetic.

Goblue

First Name
Darran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU/OB
Occupation
FF/PM
It is outstanding oil. It likely is made with a group IV synthetic base stock, which is true synthetic.
awesome does it meet those standards of FCA

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Goblue

First Name
Darran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU/OB
Occupation
FF/PM
I use it in my other vehicle but wasn't sure with the Jeep....good to know...thx... I wonder how the filters compare to the Mopar

Hootbro

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, 2022 JT RUBICON
The 2017 JK recommends 5W-20 oil. Has anything really changed in the updated JL 3.6 that requires 0W-20 or is FCA just trying to increase fuel economy?

Normally I would say it is due to CAFE reasons, but with this generation of the Pentastar in the JL, they did revise the variable valve system that is very sensitive to viscosity for proper actuation. You can probably get away with using a different weight on the short term, but I would imagine eventually timing or cam phasing codes would post using long term if lets say you went to a 30+ weight multi viscosity.

Also, specifying a 0W-20 weight by default over a 5W-20, forces you to be using a full synthetic oil in that grade as 5W-20 can still be had in a conventional formulation with less long term protection.
Sponsored