Sponsored

Am I Special Needs? 🤟🤪🤙

Jerpy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
I have been working on my latest Jeep mod and it is not going well.

This is the 3rd big aftermarket accessory I have bought and almost every time an installation is listed as taking only a couple of hours it winds up taking me like 2 days. I'm not a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination, but I do know how to use tools, follow instructions, and do basic stuff.

I guess what I'm really asking is do other people have as hard of a time with these types of installs (drilling into frame, lining up bolt holes, mounting accessories, etc.) or is it just me?

UPDATE: it looks like the company sent me the wrong size hardware (spacers were too big preventing bolts from catching). I am elated that it wasn't a me problem, but super pissed that their blunder cost me so much wasted time, energy, and 4-letter words. 🤬
Sponsored

Last edited:

Elada20

First Name
Raniero
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Well, if you are not that good with tools and following instructions, probably it’s not a good idea to drill into frames. Usually it takes me a bit longer than the suggested time but not by that much. At the end of the day it’s relaxing to work on your rig, who cares if it takes a bit longer?
cheers!!

lowmpg

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
I find that most instructions and 'time' estimates are based on a person that did the job 500 times and then wrote instructions. :)

Tpom

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Depending on the install, I do tend to take longer than what is advertised as well. For me its less about getting a project done or part installed as fast as possible. I enjoy the process of modifying the Jeep, and I am also a perfectionist. I prefer to go above and beyond the requirements.

Truthfully, if you look close at some of the work installed quickly, its pretty shoddy. Not saying someone well versed in certain installs cannot do it quick and professionally, but watching some of these Youtubers and others...

Sponsored

Fudster

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Sure, innate motor skills, and technique working with tools plays into it, but to conflate a project not going as smoothly as the expert in the video demonstrates, complete with video outtakes, and being special needs (avoiding the "R" word) just isn't the case.

Much is to be said about preparation. I'll read the manual several times, look for videos, come to the forum for advice, tips, and places where people have skinned their knees before.

Having (and knowing) all the tools a job needs, and a good night's sleep, and no time clock help to smooth the process.

Edit:

(Thanks @Jerpy for losing the "r" word in the thread's title. At the heart of a true Jeeper is someone willing to help others in need.)

Last edited:

Elada20

First Name
Raniero
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Well, if you are not that good with tools and following instructions, probably it’s not a good idea to drill into frames. Usually it takes me a bit longer than the suggested time but not by that much. At the end of the day it’s relaxing to work on your rig, who cares if it takes a bit longer?
cheers!!
Sorry, I miss read your post. You know how to use tools!
I feel that half of the English vocabulary will offend people in one way or another…

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I like taking longer.

jack bauer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon XR 3.6
Occupation
Finance
I my install times for my front and rear bumper, winch, spare tire carrier, lights..etc are way longer than some dudes report in the forum.
Take your time, get everything lined out (including needed tools before you start).
I am slow and methodical.
Sometimes you need to go off book and wollow out a hole or shim something doesn't line up correctly. Jeep tolerances in build differ.
Last item. Be honest with your own limitations and don't buy cheap shit.

What mod are you having issue with?

U EEDIOT

First Name
Scott!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 2006 Trailblazer SS
Occupation
Did my time. https://youtu.be/mj1dd0Kcq8A?si=h8gOFKS0rg7hysV6
I feel that half of the English vocabulary will offend people in one way or another…
Yep.
And if they are that easily offended, that is another of their problems.

Sponsored

lowmpg

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
OP
OP
Jerpy

Jerpy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
I am slow and methodical.
I like to think that I am, too. I spent the weeks leading up to delivery of these accessories to get all the tools I need, watch videos, and read up on how other people have tackled the installs; but inevitably it seems like there is always some stupid thing that crops up that hinders any further progress.

What mod are you having issue with?
I'm trying to avoid specifics because I don't want to throw anyone (i.e. site sponsors) under the bus.

Suffice it to say that I've spent hundreds if not thousands of dollars on accessories (this has been my first 'fun vehicle'). Many times the instructions leave a lot to be desired which is kinda crazy given how much money they charge for these things.

I should also take a moment to give myself some credit: a few comparatively smaller mods went relatively smooth and I was really pleased with myself and how they turned out.

Last edited: